February 2013 Moms

Southerners and snow

Anyone else located in the South and experienced last night's winter weather? I'm in NC and we got about two inches of snow here. We didn't have school today, but did have an optional teacher workday (which I opted not to go to). Tomorrow is another day with school closed for kids and an optional workday for us. Some of the teachers I coach will be working tomorrow, so I plan on going in. 

The snow was beautiful and I'm so glad we got to experience it! I was hoping that at least one time this season, DS would get to see and play in some snow. We took him out this morning and he was skeptical of it at best. 

Anyone else? How was the snow your way, @MalRiggs?

View Full Size Image
BFP- 5/23/12 EDD- 1/23/13 DS born 2/2/13

Baby BOY #2 coming in May!

Re: Southerners and snow

• I'm in Durham and I think we got a little bit more than CH, but not much.  Still waiting to hear if DPS is closing.  My daycare usually follows their schedule.  Daycare closed early Tuesday, closed today, and who knows tomorrow.  

I am seriously going to lose my mind if they close!!!!  I am so busy at work :(  Between christmas, daycare closings around the holidays, MLK daycare closing, and sick kids interspersed everywhere, I don't think I've worked a full week since the 2nd week of December.  Ugh....

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• I'm a lurker from January, but I live in Birmingham. It started snowing and sticking to the roads almost immediately around 10:00 yesterday morning. I was lying in the dentist chair watching it come down as the forecast was off, so everything didn't close in advance like usual when expecting snow. Everyone was at work and/or school. I managed to make it home, about 30 miles, which took over 3 hours. The driving conditions were terrible. I had no choice because I'm still nursing and didn't have my pump with me, so I probably would have gotten mastitis (not fun, I've had it a few times). I had to abandon my car and walk the last mile home.. in a skirt, lol. I was lucky to make it home. We had kids spending the night at school (my friend's 1 year old spent the
    night at daycare) employees stuck at work, and thousands of people stranded on the roads overnight! It is complete and utter chaos here, and some people are still stranded out there. The snow is beautiful, but we were definitely not prepared for it down here!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Loading the player...
  • @Myaflowers, we had a similar experience in the Triangle in 2005.  I had co-workers that had their normal 15 min drive take 10-12 hours!!!!!  

Hope you are staying warm tonight!

• We got a couple of inches. I'm in total panic mode over school. Schools are closed AGAIN tomorrow and that means we will loose a day of spring break. I ready made plans, like bought plane ticked and hotel. Not sure what to do...btw this is my first ever vacation alone with DH was so looking forward to it. Clearly it just not meant to be

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• DPS closed....my daycare is only delaying opening until 10am instead of closing altogether.  I am so over January.

• I'm down in Houston, TX. We didn't actually get much snow but we got some ice on the roads which = ENTIRE CITY FREAK OUT/SHUT DOWN. I will admit I have no idea how to handle this type of cold weather being born and raised here. It's annoying and I'm over it. The baby loves to be outside and we've been cooped up for days. I'm ready for summer. Bring on the 102 degree (90% humidity)! I'm ready!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our Sweet Boy "LJ"
  • I live in Michigan and love winter. Most of the time. I'm so over the closings now. My city has been shut down for like two weeks.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• I'm in Durham and I think we got a little bit more than CH, but not much.  Still waiting to hear if DPS is closing.  My daycare usually follows their schedule.  Daycare closed early Tuesday, closed today, and who knows tomorrow.  

I am seriously going to lose my mind if they close!!!!  I am so busy at work :(  Between christmas, daycare closings around the holidays, MLK daycare closing, and sick kids interspersed everywhere, I don't think I've worked a full week since the 2nd week of December.  Ugh....
    How did I not know that you were in Durham? I'm in Chapel Hill! 

I can imagine that you must be stressed out! January has been nuts-- especially around here, it seems!

View Full Size Image

• MalRiggs said:
    We got a couple of inches. I'm in total panic mode over school. Schools are closed AGAIN tomorrow and that means we will loose a day of spring break. I ready made plans, like bought plane ticked and hotel. Not sure what to do...btw this is my first ever vacation alone with DH was so looking forward to it. Clearly it just not meant to be
    I remember you posting about your trip! Don't let the snow ruin your trip-- take a sick day, girl. You need to enjoy your trip. 

View Full Size Image

• Rosebean said:
    As a Candian with several feet of snow in her yard... This thread is cute... :p though I am kind of jealous! I would love for our city to shut down over a couple inches!

@Rosenbean

I'm in Colorado and this made me smile. I don't get the weather nearly as bad as you do up there, and I have family in Michigan and they get it worse that I do, but we get are fair share of crappy weather here. Actually, Denver is forecasted to get a foot of snow between 5pm tonight and noon tomorrow. Fun Fun!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• ericalee27ericalee27 member
    edited January 2014
    I'm in Durham and I think we got a little bit more than CH, but not much.  Still waiting to hear if DPS is closing.  My daycare usually follows their schedule.  Daycare closed early Tuesday, closed today, and who knows tomorrow.  

How did I not know that you were in Durham? I'm in Chapel Hill! 

I can imagine that you must be stressed out! January has been nuts-- especially around here, it seems!

Haha, I'm not sure I said specifically before and I think I may have just assumed you were in CH due to your username! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"