July 2012 Moms

S/O LO #1 and new baby

If you have a new baby, how did LO #1 do with the transition? Did you have any physical issues (LO trying to smack or hurt the new baby), or were they gentle right away? My pedi recommended letting DS interact with the baby as much as he wanted, and not feeling too anxious about it because he'll pick up on that. But the idea makes me nervous because DS gets really jealous when other kids are around me.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: S/O LO #1 and new baby

• Logan defiantly had some really rough moments both transitioning and with DD. He has hit her several times including once on the head with his snack cup leaving a small cut. I totally freaked but she was fine. He is used to being the center of attention since he was the only grandchild on both sides so he defiantly has been jealous. He has been getting better but still has his moments so we still have to be real careful. We can't put her on he floor with him running around and have to keep her swing in separate area because he likes to push it and make it swing higher. The first couple weeks were defiantly really hard but it's getting a little easy/better everyday. Plus DD is getting bigger and stronger and will fight back eventually. : )

• Just to add...bottle time is the hardest jealously wise so I just try to feed DD while Logan is eating himself, napping, etc.

• Loading the player...
  • @JulesET - That is EXACTLY what I think will happen with DS. He is not an aggressive kid at all, but he will throw other kids out of my lap (including the baby doll I got for him to prepare him for the baby). He's also the only grandchild on both sides, and has started getting mad when DH and I are talking to each other, so I can only imagine how he's going to be when DS #2 is here. Did you have them "meet" at the hospital or when you got home?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • For us it has been a fairly smooth transition. At first DD would just stare at DS and not really interact. I would let her do little stuff such as touch the bottle during a feeding or she would take a pacifier and try to put it in his mouth. Every now and then she will get upset if I am holding him and she wants me to play with her, but usually it is not a big deal. She is learning how to be gentle, and was not gentle at all at first. She nicely will touch his head or his face most of the time, but she tries to poke eyes or the mouth sometimes.

She likes to go to where he sleeps and look at him. She tries to give him blankets and toys and everything. LOL. Someone told me to incorporate your first into helping out with the 2nd so that way, they do not feel left out. It has worked for us so far.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
  • He came to the hospital for a quick visit. He looked and pointed but that was about it. DH and just just keep a close watch and it is okay. I have just kind of learned tricks and ways to deal with it. I make sure to give Logan lots of attention when DD is sleeping and unfortunately DD doesn't get to sleep on my chest all the time like DS did. It works and I am sure you you DS will be okay. Logan definitely loves his sister and runs over when she starts crying to check on her and helps me pat her back and burp her. It works somehow.

• DD#1 did get a little rough a few times, but we corrected her. She loved to hold her baby sister. We would put the boppy around her and help her hold DD#2. DD#1 still remembers the pillow and asked to hold DD#2 on it recently.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"