Stay at Home Moms

popcorn lovers, help me troubleshoot

So I just bought a new hotair popper. the first time I made popcorn, I used a new package of popcorn from Bed Bath and Beyond.  It tasted totally stale right after popping it.  Is it possible that the kernels were on the shelf too long and stale or did I do something else wrong.  I thought those things were foolproof, right?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: popcorn lovers, help me troubleshoot

• Did you clean the popper before using it for the first time?
  • The kernels could have totally been stale. Maybe BBB doesn't have a high turnover on popcorn...?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't buy your popcorn at bbb. Exactly what @momin2013 said. I get mine at trader Joe's.

DS1 4.4.11. &  DS2 4.18.13
  • Well, popcorn does go stale, though I think it needs to be pretty darn old. DH and I have tried some pretty crumby brands before... either they taste off, or don't pop well. I'd try a different brand to see if that turns out better. Also, not sure what kind of popper you have, but if it's one that lets you control the heat it's possible your heat was too high. That will result in little, chewy pieces instead of bigger, airy ones because they pop too quickly. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• It's the kernels I would bet.

Get Amish kernels if you can find them. Yummy!
  • Thanks guys! I will put popcorn on my TJ's list!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm with the PP - purchasing popcorn at BBB not exactly the best idea - even if they sometimes do have hard to find "treats" (I still wish they carried the Kalua Chocolate Bars and the Coconut rum chocolate bars too!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"