Stay at Home Moms
Options

The Morality of Yoga

Someone from my church just posted this on her fb page. I'm not interested in arguing about the morality of yoga but I can't believe that people take spiritual guidance from a website. Please tell me this is just a small faction of Catholics and Christians who believe exercise is a sin... Oh goodness!
https://www.catholic.com/magazine/articles/the-trouble-with-yoga
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: The Morality of Yoga

• Options
    I am Catholic and I think ths is over thought and ludicrous.
  • Options
    Many fundamentalist type churches are anti-yoga. It's a shame, but I understand since it's derived from Hindu practices. Based on what I've learned in yoga classes I'm starting to explore Hindu because I feel it would be a far better fit to my beliefs and values than Christianity (I left the church years ago) and most of the yoga classes I've been to take the spiritual aspect very seriously, so if that's the style of yoga you've seen I can see why it would be seen as anti-Christian (if you're the "one true religion" type and unwilling to bend on that).
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hav=Fath said:
    I want to go to yoga soooooooooooo bad!!
    Do it! It's amazing for you, both physically and spiritually! And I'm seriously the least coordinated person in the world and can do it reasonably well!
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Hav=Fath said:
    Hav=Fath said:
    I want to go to yoga soooooooooooo bad!!
    Do it! It's amazing for you, both physically and spiritually! And I'm seriously the least coordinated person in the world and can do it reasonably well!
    They don't offer it here!! The gym does have it, 1 class of regular yoga per week @ 6:00 am, and jazz yoga offered during the week at some point but I have zero desire to do jazz yoga. I would totally jump on it if they offered a regular yoga class during a decent time of day.
    That stinks! No way 6 am would happen here either and jazz yoga holds no interest for me if I'm looking for yoga! I'm sure it's a fun class, but not what I think of with a yoga class.
  • Options
    ASullivan1231ASullivan1231 member
    edited January 2014
    I'm Catholic, and I know of zero Catholics who think this way. It's a major case of the cray crays.

On a serious note it drives me fucking nuts that MY church has its priorities so messed up that YOGA is a problem. Ugh!!!

Also, I find it's the outspoken crazies screwing it up for the majority.
  • Options
    I LOVE Yoga.  It's the only thing I do now for my exercise.  I quit the gym a few months ago and don't regret it.  I go to the yoga studio now.  It's the best!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I once dated a guy who was Eastern Orthodox. He was into yoga, but he said it was actually against his religion, so he sort of felt guilty about doing it. I guess it's not just Catholics that feel this way.
  • Options
    MomIn2013 said:

I once dated a guy who was Eastern Orthodox. He was into yoga, but he said it was actually against his religion, so he sort of felt guilty about doing it. I guess it's not just Catholics that feel this way.

It's not "Catholics" who feel this way, it's a few conservative nuts.

• Options
    It's not "Catholics" who feel this way, it's a few conservative nuts.
    Sorry, that's what I meant: it's not just "conservative nut Catholics" who feel this way. The thing is, I don't think he was a conservative nut, I think this was a commonly-held belief in his religion/church.
  • Options
    What the hell is jazz yoga?
    photo 3104d09c-3cc7-4177-aed6-da3344fdf17f_zpsbb1f9ce7.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"