January 2014 Moms

C-section healing - loss of feeling?

So my incision is healing well, my uterus/stomach has decreased to my usual pre-pregnancy pooch, but it's the skin above my scar that feels funky! When I scratch the left side it feels too intense but the right side feels numb. I'm sure this is my nerves repairing themselves, but wondering if any other C-section mommas have lingering nerve damage? I'm wondering what to expect from "full recovery."
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: C-section healing - loss of feeling?

• Yup! My dr said it can last for 6 months. She said as time passes you will feel zing sensations and that's the nerves reconnecting.
    BFP #1 (7/13/12) MC (8/14) 9 weeks. D & C 8/17.
    BFP #2 (5/18/13) due 1/26/14. Grow baby grow!
    Its a surprise! Team green!

• I had a c/s with DS1 and the skin within 1/2" of the incision still does not have full sensation.  It's about half as sensitive to touch as the rest of my skin.  It was completely numb for easily the first 6 months.  
    image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I was told the same as the PPs, that it will be numb for the first 6 months. 
     ***********************************************************************************************
      blogbutton badge!!!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Completely normal. Mine is burny. Nerve regeneration happens very slowly, and u may feel a variety of sensations. It's jut ur nerves getting use to sensation again. To help u can gently rub the area where the numbness or intense feeling is to help the nerves "feel again". It is also completely normal if you have an area that stays numb too.
  • I'm 4 weeks post c-section and I have numbness right above the incision and then right above that, it is tender to the touch, like a cut. The actual incision itself does not hurt, just the area above it. I've heard it can last for months, or even longer.
  • Roses87 said:

Yup! My dr said it can last for 6 months. She said as time passes you will feel zing sensations and that's the nerves reconnecting.

This was me with DD and again I'm numb this time. The zing kind of hurts, :(
  • I'm lurking from f14 but I never have regained the feeling above where my csection was from my dd almost 3 years ago.

It feels really weird being almost 40 weeks with a big patch of my belly with no feeling!

I hope your feeling comes back soon!
  • @carynjeang how strange - I hadn't even thought how the numbness might feel being pregnant again...! Eek!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • @carynjeang how strange - I hadn't even thought how the numbness might feel being pregnant again...! Eek!

It's a really bizarre feeling. I can feel LO move but when I go to put my hand there I feel nothing. It's so strange. I talked to my ob about the nerve damage and we came to the conclusion that the feeling probably won't come back.. Unfortunately.

• I never had numbness, only burning that made me want to somehow get ice inside of my body. But that wasn't even at my incision, that was at the ball of stitches that's out the furthest toward my hips. I still get it, but it's not as frequent or as painful.
  • I've had several surgeries, and the recovery from numbness is kind of random.  The feeling could come back in a few weeks.  Or in a year.  Or never, although it usually improves somewhat over time.

I got lucky with this c-section, I only have a very small numb area on the left side of my incision scar.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"