Natural Birth

Castor Oil Fun?

Hey everyone -

So I'm totally over being pregnant, but who isn't when they get so far? None the less, my BP has been out of wack for a few weeks now, yet no signs of pre-e. My MW's and I are totally mystified since when I rest, it drops back down well within normal range. SO...we've decided since I'm 39.2, it's time to get this show on the road. No sense in continuing to make me pee in containers each week, have blood drawn, drop it off, and not know what the heck is going on. I got sent home today with some homeopathic tabs, castor oil, tinctures, and some strict info on a 4 hour regimen. Also gonna start Evening Primrose. Has anyone  had experience with using these natural things to get labor jump started? I really didn't want to do the castor oil thing because I know it gives you liquid poops like you wouldn't believe and cramps and all that. 

PCOS // Loss 3/2010 // Single Mom // Natural Birth // DC Metro // Baby Girl Born 2/2/2014

Re: Castor Oil Fun?

• Thanks. I'm really considering not doing the castor and doing everything else in the routine...just bc some people mention that it can cause baby to poop as well and the whole respiratory distress with meconium and all that. Ugh!

PCOS // Loss 3/2010 // Single Mom // Natural Birth // DC Metro // Baby Girl Born 2/2/2014
  • Personally I would save the caster oil for your last resort.  Your body might be ready and the other things will give you a little kick to get labour started.

Good luck!

Doula, Placenta Encapsulator, Childbirth/Lactation Educator

Corin Andrew Dec 24/09

Ronan Edward Jul 9/12

Baby #3 EDD Aug 6/14

• Loading the player...
  • I took castor oil (2oz, mixed with 6oz orange juice). It wasnt nearly has bad as I expected. I had heard if you take it overnight, then you are able to get through the initial nausea. So I got up and took it at 4am, and went back to bed. I only got VERY mild stomach cramping and maybe 3 bouts of diarrhea. I started having very mild/non-timeable contractions around 730am, and at 9am my water broke. And that was it. Easy-peasy!!
    8.7.04 Married the Man
    7.16.11 Welcomed the Boy (#1)
    8.19.13 Welcomed the Boy (#2)

• I started evening primrose capsules last night (1000mg) orally. I took one orally this morning and will take one again tonight, debating on if I'm going to "insert" one tonight as well. Nervous about putting anything foreign up there at this point that could cause any bacteria or sensitivity. I also started drinking red raspberry leaf tea yesterday, and will have my second cup of it today here pretty soon. Hope those things work for you!

I'm hesitant with the castor oil, might give it a shot when I'm overdue.
  • Thanks gals. I decided against the castor oil but did everything else in the regime. So far, nothing which sucks but it is what it is. I just don't feel comfortable doing the castor oil. I'm exhausted and by myself so maybe if I had some help here, I'd consider it but I'm just done and don't want to endure the super shits and cramps.

• SStinson1 said:

Thanks gals. I decided against the castor oil but did everything else in the regime. So far, nothing which sucks but it is what it is. I just don't feel comfortable doing the castor oil. I'm exhausted and by myself so maybe if I had some help here, I'd consider it but I'm just done and don't want to endure the super shits and cramps.

Being so tired and not feeling safe or the feeling of being alone can be enough to keep you from going into labor. Can you get a rest in and maybe try to get some help so you can feel more comfortable?
  • Unfortunately, I can't get help. Family is 800+ miles away and can't come up until it's go time because they don't have enough time off work. I don't have any friends who can help or anyone else. That's the sucky part about this whole pregnancy...I've been on my own the whole time. I have a doula coming when it's go time, but other than that...no options.

• I would never do that to my body. Not knowing if it will make you sick to your stomach, etc. why do that to yourself? For me I went to the mall and walked for hours when I was 40 weeks 5 days and went into labor that night. If the baby is ready walking can help move things along but babies come when they are ready so you have to give the kid time!
  • I took castor oil at 40w2d and it was horrible. I had diarrhea and felt nauseous and started having really intense contractions. When I went to the hospital and was checked, I was still at 1cm and the midwife told me that sometimes it can cause contractions but does not progress into actual labor. When I went into labor naturally at 41w, I had extremely low amniotic fluid level because I was dehydrated, possibly from still recovering from the castor oil. I would not recommend it unless you are facing induction.
    Pregnancy Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • lizztheo said:
    I took castor oil at 40w2d and it was horrible. I had diarrhea and felt nauseous and started having really intense contractions. When I went to the hospital and was checked, I was still at 1cm and the midwife told me that sometimes it can cause contractions but does not progress into actual labor. When I went into labor naturally at 41w, I had extremely low amniotic fluid level because I was dehydrated, possibly from still recovering from the castor oil. I would not recommend it unless you are facing induction.
    This. I did it after my water broke and still ended up getting induced. I was dehydrated and exhausted. Not sure it was the best move for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"