February 2013 Moms
Options

formula moms

With it coming close to being off formula and transitioning to milk.....how many oz are you feeding our LO's at this point. I know it is their source of nutrition and such, but with my LO eating so much now, I am wondering if I am feeding him too many bottles at this point and should cut another out. I also started putting one bottle a day in a sippy cup so he starts getting used to the bottle going away....wasn't the smoothest transition lol

photo 9304f105-c1e0-4769-a5f5-66ebac0208e2.jpg

Re: formula moms

• Options
    We're all sippy cups at this point, but still measure it out. If I remember correctly you and I both had big drinkers (40 ounces at one point, right?). When we added lunch back at 9 months, he went down to 32 ounces. When we switched to cups, I found that his intake went down again. Some days he will take 32 ounces, but now it ranges more 24-28 ounces. That still seems like a lot and he also eats 3 meals and two snacks! I'm not worried about cutting anything out. I figure when we switch to WCM he might drop a little then too, but I just kind of go with him. He's getting more clear about when he wants to eat/drink and when he doesn't!

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• Options
    Yeah mine was a huge drinker too at 40 oz lol I cut a bottle out at that point and he has been getting 4 8 oz bottles. He doesn't finish every drop but he still drinks a hefty portion.He eats 3 meals too and loves his snacks lol Last night I decided to give him his bottle in a sippy cup and he kind of treated it like hi sippy cup of water meaning a few sips here, throw it and play, then come back take a chug......play and throw.....I was like uh oh.
    photo 9304f105-c1e0-4769-a5f5-66ebac0208e2.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah mine was a huge drinker too at 40 oz lol I cut a bottle out at that point and he has been getting 4 8 oz bottles. He doesn't finish every drop but he still drinks a hefty portion.He eats 3 meals too and loves his snacks lol Last night I decided to give him his bottle in a sippy cup and he kind of treated it like hi sippy cup of water meaning a few sips here, throw it and play, then come back take a chug......play and throw.....I was like uh oh.
    My little guy did that too when we first transitioned. It took a little practice (maybe a week or 2) but he's much better with it now!

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• Options
    We are at 4 6oz bottles a day but we have transitioned to almost all wcm now since we started a few weeks ago. They're still not interested in sippy cups but I like the idea of switching over one bottle to the sippy. Luke would do fine but Nolan wouldn't - he still refuses to hold his bottle even though he knows how to.
  • Options
    We aren't even taking formula anymore...he won't drink it. He gets 3 bottles a day of WCM and they about 5 ounces. Anything more, and he won't finish it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    RynleighRynleigh member
    edited January 2014
    We transitioned the boys over to WCM earlier this month. They are now fully on WCM and a vitamin sup with no more formula, approved by their pediatrician. She doesn't want them getting more than two full cups of milk per day (she's OK with them having up to a maximum of 20oz of milk a day, but said she'd prefer they stay closer to 16oz). The rest is supposed to be food and water. We're still giving them around that 20oz a day right now as they get used to eating more food, but we are weaning down. They get one cup at breakfast, half a cup at nap (not laying down for nap with it lol I mean right before they take their nap), and one cup with dinner. They get a cup of water that they carry around during the day for between meals, and I let them  have a cup of water right before bed. 

image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Options
    @rynleigh, what suppliment are they taking and is it a prescription or over the counter? I would be interested in asking our Pedi about it since Everett is fully on WCM now and I worry about him not getting enough iron, etc.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options

I was actually wondering the same thing. We are on sippys.  I pump once a day which depending on the day can be 3-5 oz.  I send that to DC the next day along with 4 oz of formula. I told DC they can give him WCM (I didn't specify an amount) too because 2 bottles is probably not enough in 8 hour day. I plan on doing this until his bday and then phasing out the pump session and only bf in a.m. and p.m.   We are just going to use up the can of formula we have so it's not wasted and then he'll be on WCM.  DS2 eats anything and everything but I still give 2-4 oz of formula with dinner and he usually drinks it.  If it's not necessary, oh well, I don't want to waste it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Options

DS is on 28 oz of formula right now (4 bottles a day, 3 meals and 1-2 snacks). I dont know how im going to do it yet. I think I will first introduce milk and see how he does. If hes not having it...ill do the slow wean with like half and half and make it gradual. i figure we will still do bottle in teh am, bottle at night...and then ill just offer milk with each meal and he will take what he takes (maybe like 2-3 oz? not sure). 

• Options
    RynleighRynleigh member
    edited January 2014
    draeray said:
    @rynleigh, what suppliment are they taking and is it a prescription or over the counter? I would be interested in asking our Pedi about it since Everett is fully on WCM now and I worry about him not getting enough iron, etc.
    The one she wants them taking she wrote up as a prescription - it's a combo fluoride supplement called Tri-Vit, so if you aren't comfortable with your child having fluoride, you'd want to go for something more like the Tri-Vi-Sol (which you can get at any supermarket). Just like the TVS, TV has A, C, D, and Iron.
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"