Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Car seats! When did you turn around? What brand do you recommend?

Hi all,

Our LO is coming up on 10 months and is totally outgrowing his infant seat.  He's 24lbs and 31-32 inches, but we'll get the exact figures this Friday at his well exam.  He is constantly upset in his car seat now and we think that time may be approaching to think about the change, but the general recommendation is not until the 1 year mark. 

Anyone else dealing with this?  Have other Dr.'s recommend waiting as long as possible or supported the move to a convertible/forward facing seat?  I've also found ones that can remain rear facing until that one year mark, which might be best.  I appreciate any advice/experience you can share.

Thanks again!

New Mommy since 4/3/13

Re: Car seats! When did you turn around? What brand do you recommend?

• disregard about the turning around.  I see the larger seat may be needed, but rear facing should continue.  :) 

New Mommy since 4/3/13

• Awesome that you want to keep him rear facing!  It definitely is SO much safer.  What is your budget for a new seat? 
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Loading the player...
  • Keep him rear for as long as possible :)
  • Just to be clear the recommendation is to rear face until at least 2 years, preferably longer.  

We switched to a convertible seat because the infant seat was getting too heavy for me but it is still rear-facing.  We went with a Diono Radian r120.  
    photo 3104d09c-3cc7-4177-aed6-da3344fdf17f_zpsbb1f9ce7.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We have a Graco size4me because DD is >90% for height, but still average weight and it's the highest rear-facing convertible seat. But if your guy is big weight wise too the radian with the 45lb rf limit would probably be best for you.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • Yes, what you're looking for is a convertible that you'll use rear facing until at least two and then forward facing after that :)  Tall kids tend to remain taller but lots of kids slim down once they become mobile so you might consider the Graco Size4Me/MySize/Headwise/Fit4Me - these are the same shell but the names are exclusives for particular stores.  They're the tallest seats on the market today.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Yes, we'll keep him rear facing since that is best.  :)  He is also ? 90th% in hight.  Both myself and DH are tall (I'm 5'11 and dad is 6'3"), so it's likely he'll continue on that path.  Thank you for all the recommendations.  We would probably like to stay under $250, but DH's mom has offered to send us whatever we choose, so I'm sure any reasonably priced, safe option will do. 

Thanks again and AGREED about lugging that heavy seat around!  So heavy! 

New Mommy since 4/3/13

• Actually, can I ask what infant seat you're currently using?  Just want to make sure he hasn't already outgrown it.  If he has, he can't ride in it again, not even once more.

• I have a convertible but is for 12mo plus and fwd facing so I won't be using that for a little while.  I also  have a 5 point seat that I am going to switch her into.  She is in the infant carriers still but I will be making the switch for one of them.  She still fits into both but the 5 point is easier to put her into so that will go in one of the cars.  The other car I will keep the infant carrier until her 12 mo and I speak with the dr about the fwd facing convertible.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I have a convertible but is for 12mo plus and fwd facing so I won't be using that for a little while.  I also  have a 5 point seat that I am going to switch her into.  She is in the infant carriers still but I will be making the switch for one of them.  She still fits into both but the 5 point is easier to put her into so that will go in one of the cars.  The other car I will keep the infant carrier until her 12 mo and I speak with the dr about the fwd facing convertible.

Drs are not car seat experts. The aap recommends that they stay rearfacing until a MINIMUM of 2 years, ideally as close to 4 as posible. They should be in a 5 pt until 6 or so, then a booster until they pass the 5 step test (generally around 10 years).

imageimageimage

Drs are not car seat experts. The aap recommends that they stay rearfacing until a MINIMUM of 2 years, ideally as close to 4 as posible. They should be in a 5 pt until 6 or so, then a booster until they pass the 5 step test (generally around 10 years).
    Thanks I will look into getting a another 5pt that can stay rear facing and hold off on the fwd facing convertible for longer.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    What seat do you have that is forward facing?  I ask because you said convertible and all convertibles have the ability to rear face and are 5 point harnesses.

• We switched to larger carseat at 6 months because DD was 30 inches which was the max for her infant seat.  She's still rear facing and will be for as long as we can keep her that way.  We got the Graco MySize 70 and love it.
  • Thanks again everyone.  We went with the DIONO Radian RXT.  Should arrive on Friday.  I'm so excited to get our little guy in a new seat.  I think he's going to be so much more comfortable.   

New Mommy since 4/3/13

• Excellent choice!

imageimageimage
  • We have the Diono Radian RXT, RF as long as possible, DS is about the same size, at his 9 month appt he was 24 lbs and 31", but we had switched to the Diono after his 6 month appointment when he was 29.5" and our infant seat maxed out at 31". The other day we had to go somewhere in a pinch, and instead of switching the convertible carseat I grabbed the old infant seat and he HATED it. Try the RF convertible, it might help out, but agree with PP's, keep RF as long as you can.

I hope you enjoy the Radian as much as we have. Also- if you have an issue with the clearance form the front passenger seat to the Radian, Diono sells an angl adjuster that will make it sit a little higher and allow more room in the front. Since it's made for that seat it passes the safety inspections- per the website.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"