July 2014 Moms
Options

My prenatal does not have iron, Do I need it?

I take the gummy prenatal vitamins. I believe from VitaFusion. This does not have iron. Do you need a prenatal with iron? For those who take gummy prenatal vitamins, do you take an additional iron supplement?

Re: My prenatal does not have iron, Do I need it?

• Options

Well the recommended daily intake of iron for a pregnant woman is 27mg per day.  If you are eating enough iron rich foods you should be ok, if not talk to your doc about a supplement.  Your doc should also be able to do a simple blood test to check your iron levels and decide if they are ok or not.

Just remember that iron is critical during pregnancy (especially in 2nd and 3rd tri) and pregnant women are susceptible to anemia and anemia can cause pregnancy complications (preterm delivery, low birth weight).

AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Thank you. I have an aversion to protein right now. I just spoke with my md who was surprised this prenatal did not have iron in them. I will be on one with iron.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You can just take iron separately :)
  • Options
    Yeah, my OB was a little surprised the vitamin didn't have iron. My blood tests come back fine, but she wants me on an additional iron supplement anyways. Now to remember to take it every day...
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    You can iron from non-protein sources as well.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I would recommend getting a separate iron supplement!  Mine does have iron and my doctor still recommended eating a lot of iron rich foods in addition to the iron I'm already getting from my prenatals. 

• Options
    My MW was fine with me taking the gummies without an additional iron supplement. My intestines just can't handle it.

I just try to eat iron rich foods, like spinach and beans.

TTC #1 since 10/2012.
    BFP#1 11/28/12, MC, BFP #2 CP
    BFP #3 10/21/2013, EDD 7/3/2014
    Beta #1 (4W6D): 1768 Beta #2 (5W1D): 5255
    1st US at 6W4D HB of 112 BPM!

1/20/2014: IT'S A GIRL!

6/30/2014: Happy birthday baby M!

• Options
    I took an iron supplement when I had the gummies my last pregnancy. However, taking the iron pill was so gross, I just switched back to regular prenatals. It left a metallic taste in my mouth.

July 14 May Siggy Challenge: Cute Animals
    imagelambs photo: lambs lftsidemovies5.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"