November 2013 Moms
Options

Moms of boys...penile adhesion?

After listening to our little guy scream in the pedi office today I feel like a stupid stupid FTM!! No one ever told us to pull the skin back after circumsicion during diaper changes! DH and I thought his penis looked odd but didn't know anything about adhesion. Now we have a very upset little guy, also dealing with sore legs from shots.

Has this happened to you??? All tips welcome on how to keep it from adhering completely!!! Ahhh he is screaming like I've never heard before :(:(:(
imageimageimageimage

Re: Moms of boys...penile adhesion?

• Options
    Like @rczamora, I also knew nothing about it before it was discussed on TB. As I recall, @drcolleen had posted some info about it during one if our many circ discussions very early on.

I'm sorry you and your LO had to experience that today. Poor little guy. I do find it odd that the pediatrician didn't give any info about how to prevent the adhesions.

• Options
    I must have missed that post!! He is finally asleep after some of the hardest crying I've ever seen. Had to put him in the Boba wrap to calm him down and help knock him out. I need to find that old thread.
    Supposedly my little guy is so chunky around his pelvis that the fat pushes/pushed the skin back down. I seriously don't remember the nurse telling is to watch for this! Thank you for responding ladies because DH and I are both feeling bad about our mess up. Looks like I might have to endure the screaming until it heals up the right way. :(
    imageimageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    This happened to us with DS2. The dr that did his circ left more skin on it than normal (from what we were told). So we were supposed to pull it all of the way back at every diaper change. We did and didn't have any issues. Fast forward to a few weeks ago when I took him to the dr for his 3 yr check up and the dr pulled it back to check it. It had adhered and she had to pull it back more, not a whole lot but enough to where he didn't like it.
    He's been potty trained since about March 2013, so no diaper changes since then and we hadn't pulled it back since then either. I really didn't think I was supposed to STILL.
    Our pedi said just to make sure we do it after baths. Idk how long you're supposed to keep doing it (I definitely should've asked) but I assumed by 2.5 yrs it would have been ok.
    I didn't have this issue with DS1. I'm not sure if it's because they used the plastibell on him when he was circed or what.
    The dr told us to pull it all of the way back to where you can see the "purple ring" all of the way around it. Clean it and use Vaseline for a little while until it looks like it's healed again (from the dr pulling it back).
    I'm sorry your little guy had to go through that!

Feb Siggy Challenge

If you were a cookie, 
you'd be a whoreo.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Don't feel bad.  I did the same with my first and no one told me to push it back.  I remember saying something on here and a few mom's thought I was crazy.  Sorry you had to go through that.....but now you know!  No worries mama!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    For some reason my DH knew this and started doing it at bath time, I don't do it daily but try to every 3 or 4 days or in the tub...don't feel bad, but its hard not to when LO is in pain :(. He won't remember it tomorrow
  • Options
    Aww poor fella! Our pedi told us to pull the skin back during diaper changes and bath time. Sometimes if I forget to do it for a day there will be a thin, white layer of filmy new skin and I just wipe that off with a soft wash cloth and clean the area really good. I have read that it's important to do this for a whole year, but my pedi never gave us a time.
  • Options
    Our LO had a minor one that the pediatrician popped for us at our visit last week. Luckily, it didn't bother our little man, though it looked like it should have. We're now pushing back with Vaseline, but yeah ... no one told us to do that when he was circumcised.

• Options
    Mum2Be28 said:

Aww poor fella! Our pedi told us to pull the skin back during diaper changes and bath time. Sometimes if I forget to do it for a day there will be a thin, white layer of filmy new skin and I just wipe that off with a soft wash cloth and clean the area really good. I have read that it's important to do this for a whole year, but my pedi never gave us a time.

The white layer is SKiN?? Ahhh poor thing! Just did it this diaper change and there was screaming but not at all like last night.
    imageimageimageimage

• Options
    I hadn't heard of them til someone posted a reminder about pulling back at each diaper change. LO was a month and already had it.  It had adhered most of the way around. =(  I started gently pulling it back after each bath by "rolling down" with a qtip all the way around. (if that makes sense) It took at least a week before the first part came unstuck.  It was a whole month for the last bit to come undone but, no pain for LO. I now make sure it's not adhering at one of his diaper changes each day. So far, so good. 
  • Options
    um ok, now I'm officially freaking out.   I've never done this!   We were never told to roll it down.  Is this something I was just supposed to know?  Like things don't stress me out enough as it is.  Now I have to worry about a wonky painful penis?
    January siggy challenge: winter weather fails

• Options
    The smegma is so gross! It looked like a worm the first time I noticed it!0

• Options
    I was pulling it down but I guess now enough. At his 2 month appointment the pediatrician did it and he cried but not too much. Now I'm pulling it down and using Vaseline.
  • Options

um ok, now I'm officially freaking out.   I've never done this!   We were never told to roll it down.  Is this something I was just supposed to know?  Like things don't stress me out enough as it is.  Now I have to worry about a wonky painful penis?

Ok. Yes. I'm sorry you are freaked out but thankful that I wasn't the only mom who didn't know this. TP to the nurses and pedis we have!!!! Now go pull that skin back!!
    imageimageimageimage

• Options

The smegma is so gross! It looked like a worm the first time I noticed it!0

It seriously did! I just gagged and cried along with my boy because...ewwww it looked and smelled awful! I don't want him to have a "wonky penis" either! Lol
    imageimageimageimage

• Options
    I didn't know about this either.  We had to take LO in for a bilateral hernia surgery and the surgeon noticed it so she fixed it while she was in there.  His penis looked worse than the two incisions and the site where the scope went in.  It looked so painful.  The surgeon told us that the skin is so sticky that it can easily grow back together.  It can even happen in girls to where the vaginal canal can't be seen at all!  She tried to make me feel like it wasn't my fault, but I know it was!  I had never been told to pull he skin back, nor has any of my friends with babies.  Now I pull the skin back and clean it a couple times a day.  I think it's much more common than most people think, although it doesn't make us mommies feel any better.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"