High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

High Blood Pressure - Come In

((Posted this on my month board but realized it might be better suited over here))

For those of you who have had high blood pressure, either from hypertension or pre-eclampsia or another unknown/undiagnosed ailment...

STM+ = How did this affect your labor/delivery?

Others = Did your OB/MW convey any specific concerns regarding your labor/delivery?

I have an appointment Wednesday to ask all of these questions but my darling mother has now played on my biggest fears and has me freaked out. My biggest fear has been bleeding out and she mentioned on the phone tonight she is worried that since my BP gets high with activity, that I will bleed out like this daughter of a coworker of hers did (she had her baby like 3 months early). Since I'm not going the hospital route, this is why it's one of my biggest fears. I've mentioned it to my MW's in the past when I was not this far along and was re-assured but now that I'm so close and with what my mom has put in my brain, now I'm a little freaked. I keep telling myself that I'm sure if it were a concern of my MW's that they would communicate this to me or risk me out. They are after all the professionals. I'm doing another 24 hour catch and turning it in Wednesday, so hopefully will have stronger results by Friday to find out wtf is really going on...if I don't go into labor before then.

Anyway, looking for a little reassuring info from STM's who have been through this before or mom's who are currently going through HBP.

Side Note: My BP is controlled with rest and all within normal limits unless I overdo myself, then I can bring it back down within minutes by laying down. Protein has been elevated, but not in danger zone yet. No other symptoms.

PCOS // Loss 3/2010 // Single Mom // Natural Birth // DC Metro // Baby Girl Born 2/2/2014

Re: High Blood Pressure - Come In

• Options
    I had high Bp with my first pregnancy and had to be induced for it because it was uncontrolled by meds and didn't improve with bed rest. My Bp on any given day was from 150/90- 180/100. I didn't have any issues with bleeding too much when I had my lo either. Don't let your mom freak you out about stuff like this! Make sure you communicate your fear to your midwife and then try to get it out of your head! And try to remember that you're seeing a professional, if the worse does happen they'll be prepared and know what to do. You'll be fine and do great!' Congrats on your little one soon and gl!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    High blood pressure during pregnancy can cause all kinds of complications, it's the primary reason I'm considered high risk.  I currently have both an MFM and a cardiologist monitoring the progress of my pregnancy closely for this reason.  I find it concerning that you're not under the care of someone more specialized given this. 

My docs haven't discussed with me how high blood pressure could affect labour and delivery specifically, other than as the previous poster has mentioned, you may need to be induced if it gets too out of control, or if you proceed to preeclampsia or eclampsia.  Also high blood pressure can cause your baby to grow more slowly than it should.  However if you're having regular ultrasounds, you should be able to track this.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"