Baby Showers
Options

Birthday party - no gifts

I know that most people here feel that putting "no gifts please" isn't appropriate, as is any way of telling people how to spend their money.  I truly understand why and agree for the most part. 

My son's first birthday is coming up and we are inviting some friends and family to a pretty low key party but I would love to say no gifts.  He has so many darn toys from hand me downs and Christmas and our house can't hold much more right now.  Do I say no gifts or just let it be?  We could donate them or something like that but I just feel bad that people would spend their money and I would know that we didn't intend to keep most of it.  Any recommendations? If I am being rude or ungrateful just call me out.  I don't want to be and I'd love some opinions. 
image   image
We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3

Re: Birthday party - no gifts

• Options
    I personally wouldn't feel comfortable saying " no gifts."

Just keep what you can and donate what you can't.  
  • Options
    I've known people who have sent out invites and put down they are trying to grow their child's library so rather than toys a new book to help the library grow was appreciated.  I think that is a great idea and it honestly went over rather well too.  They still get the option to purchase something.  I don't think you are being ungrateful at all.  I appreciate thoughts for my son's birthday but the toys get to be a little much.  Especially at his young age he plays with them and then moves on.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We do 'no gift' parties.  I know what etiquette says about that, but after careful reflection on it by me and DH we decided we were OK with that breech of etiquette.   
  • Options
    VORVOR member

I've tried this.  By and large, it doesn't work.  People feel they "have" to bring a gift.

A neighbor and I were talking once, though, and I said that I'm totally fine w/ GCs forDS.  So-for his b-day, that's what she gave.  I was thrilled! :)  As his b-day is Dec. 16 - there is a HUGE overload of toys.  We now have $$ for him to spend later in the year.

• Options
    Great thanks ladies!  You all gave me some ideas and I think the PPer is right that many people will bring gifts regardless.  I think I'll just let it be for this birthday and we will see how it goes.  I can definitely cycle or keep some gifts aside to give later or donate some things.  
    image   image
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Options
    Might even take some stuff to grandma's house!
    image   image
  • Options
    jennish11 said:

Also, I worked with a woman whose daughter had too much stuff - so each time she got a new toys, she would have to pick an old one to get rid of and they would donate it.  Now her daughter is all about helping the less fortunate.
    Love this!  Thanks! 
    image   image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"