April 2014 Moms

Warning: weird picture---diastasis recti, anyone else?

So I have this lovely bulge when I sit up or get up. Dr says it's my muscles separating and internal organs coming through and nothing I can really do. No one else I know has had it this extreme... My friend (who is a dr.) said I will just have a tougher time getting a flat stomach and one of her friends actually had to have surgery to correct, Anyone else either have this or had it in a previous pregnancy?? It looks really scary to me...

May the Fourth Be With You: Our 5-4-14 Baby: Andrew Joseph

Re: Warning: weird picture---diastasis recti, anyone else?

• In the timeline of recovery link that someone posted awhile back, it sounded like many people self-recover after a number of weeks post-partum, but I don't know anything beyond that!
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have it, too. It looks gross, but it's mostly painless.

Lilypie - (tQ1Y)

Lilypie - (Rgc4)

Daisypath - (bXqd)

Natural miscarriage @ 8 weeks - 3/8/2005
    Big Brother "Skippy" born - 2/28/2007
    Missed miscarriage - (EDD 3/5/2013) - D&E @ 11 weeks - 8/8/2012
    "Hen" (EDD 6/7/2013) - born sleeping @ 19 weeks - 1/15/2013
    "G-Unit" born - 4/14/2014 and he's 100% perfection!!
  • Loading the player...
  • I have it too and my stomach went back to basically flat after my first.
  • i posted a pic of my belly in a HDBD post from a few weeks ago...  it was the same look.  my abs are split about 5-6 inches from what i can estimate based on the width of the "guts bulge" that erupts out of my belly.  totally feel ya, sister!

• @MamaFantastic--Ok, that is a little reassuring. Does it hurt you at all???Just not sure why some get it and some don't! I have had this since 18 weeks and I hadn't gained any weight at that point!

• I have this too. And my abs went back flat after birth ( with working out and strengthing my muscles ) I wouldn't stress it.
  • it doesn't hurt at all - it just looks really gross!  i try to not use my abs much at all right now, and i'm told i will need to be careful after delivery to protect the area while it hopefully closes back up.  i've heard surgery is a last resort option, preceded by physical therapy as a less invasive alternative.
  • NxyNxy member
    I was just looking into this last night! Thanks for posting. Mine only really bulges when I try and sit up from laying down on my back. Now I just roll to my side and push up with my arms.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have this too. My OB told me exactly what you stated, "your muscles are separating to make more room." She said it is nothing to be concerned about. My belly button will even go into a weird peak if I try to contract my abdomen.
  • There are some exercises that you can do to help correct it once baby is born. But stay far away from crunches, they will make it worse. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
                                ~Missed MC at 8 weeks. D&C at 12 weeks on 4/17/13~ 
       Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Wow I was wondering what it was cuz I knew it wasn't the baby!
    Why do my boobs look so good?image
    Then I peed on a stick...image
  • bethy84 said:
    I got it every time and even ended up with a hernia after the last, which they won't fix until I am for sure done having kids. Don't do sit ups.
    Why do they want to wait to fix the hernia? I have a hernia as well but they are going to stitch it closed (not with a mesh since I still want more kids). I am having a c-section so they will do it then.

I'm asking since your advice is from an American doctor.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • It looks crazy weird and a bit cool.

I have two friends that their stomachs wouldn't mend themselves. It took some time before the doctors stated that it wouldn't fix itself. They told me the insurance company would pay to have it surgically connected, but only once, so you needed to wait until you were done having kids.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I am just concerned about it getting much worse as I get bigger. But thanks everyone-- I feel better that others are dealing/have dealt with this. Hoping it stays the same and isn't too bad post partum.

• I was told side crunches to correct it after baby and right away after my first. No idea what they say to do now then if people say no crunches because that's what I was told in the hospital.

Married 2005, DS: 2006, DD: 2008 EDD: 4/16/14- IT'S A GIRL! Scarlett Jean
  • I'm so glad someone posted this. My dumb first time mom self thought it was baby. But mines not nearly that noticeable. You can only see it when I am standing and lean back and even then it's just a lump.
  • Onelovelyginger , that's what my husband said--- and I was like, "ummm maybe??"!!!! Oh FTM's......every day is something new :)

• thomas930thomas930 member
    edited January 2014

I was told side crunches to correct it after baby and right away after my first. No idea what they say to do now then if people say no crunches because that's what I was told in the hospital.

From what I've read the best thing to do is lay flat on your back, with knees bent and feet on the floor and pull your belly button to your spine and hold it there (can't remember for how long) and release...and do a few reps of that. Over time it closes the gap and once you've closed the gap most of the way then you can do crunches.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
                                ~Missed MC at 8 weeks. D&C at 12 weeks on 4/17/13~ 
       Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I went for physical therapy a few months after birth (for hip problems as well as this) and there are a bunch of specific exercises you can do to try to bring them back together.  I had a large gap and it mostly shut after physical therapy but as soon as I got pregnant it opened back up. I'm getting a tummy tuck when I'm done having kids and I'll have it sewn back together. 

• thomas930Bees Everywherebethy84 --- did you have any issues during actual delivery pushing and sitting- while contracting abs?? I didn't even think of this- my MIL did. I have been super careful about overextending them recently and had NO idea how much I was using them.... (I am so mentally trained to "use my core").

thanks ladies!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"