Baby Showers

So, is this okay?

edited January 2014 in Baby Showers

I am not the shower type.. at all. I refused to have a wedding shower and I really don't want to have a baby shower either, just not my cup of tea to open gifts in front of people and the usual baby shower games are getting a little old in my circle of family/friends seeing as I'm one of the last to have kids. The gender reveal party trend lately is something that I have taken an interest in, a party not a shower, sounds like a great idea!!

My question is, if I have a gender reveal party, in which I specify that I do not want/need any gifts am I allowed to host this? I know good and well the people who want to bring gifts are going to bring them no matter what I say - I tried the 'your presence is your present' thing at my wedding and still ended up with lots of stuff - but I will not be opening any gifts at the party and it will be more like a get together in which I reveal the sex as part of the night (of course still a thank-you to be sent later) will people think its still odd that I'm hosting it myself?

While I do have sisters. mom. mil and bestfriends who would gladly host this event, being the type A person I am, and knowing the type of people they are if I don't plan it myself, my laidback get together will quickly turn into a melted twix in a diaper party, which I've enjoyed going to countless times but isn't my style... as you can tell I really am begging for this to be okay, but if its tacky, tell me! :)

Re: So, is this okay?

• VORVOR member
    If you want a party that is about your baby, then just have a party AFtEr the baby is born so that people can meet the baby. I think "gender" reveals where that is the only point to the party are weird. While I enjoy finding out what friends are having, I really don't need to attend a party that isONLY about that. People don't care THAT much.
  • I do kind of think it's tacky to host any party where you are the guest of honor, ever. And until the baby is born, you and your big belly would be. Adults don't throw their own birthday parties, retirement parties, anniversary parties, etc. IMO, this is no different. Also, requesting no gifts doesn't make it any better; it just confuses people.
  • Loading the player...
  • I personally have no problem with gender reveal parties. I find them fun. Because the ones I've been to have been kind of BBQ style and had some cute ways for the reveal. However, I wouldn't plan it yourself.
  • I'm sorry but I do not like gender reveal parties. I think they are completely pointless. Yeah it's fun to find out the sex of the baby, but I don't think a party is necessary. Just my opinion. People will probably bring gifts or diapers regardless of what you say.
  • VORVOR member
    I don't see the big deal about having people over and revealing the sex of the baby. We did this and I'd do it again. We invited our parents and siblings and two of our closest friends. The same crowd we have over all the time for dinner and we had good food and drinks. It was about the baby for a few minutes while it was revealed. (We didn't know before hand either. We found out as a group by opening the envelope together.) Our family LOVED it. There were no gifts and I'd do it again for the next one. It was nice to tell everyone together and my brother recorded a video on his phone of us finding out. It will make a nice memory to look back on.
    Something small w/ TRULY the people you're closest too is one thing.  The way the OP reads and the way MANY of these posts about this topic read, is that the person wants a full on PARTY where they are inviting a lot of people - many more than just their truly closest family and friends.
  • kimberpookimberpoo member
    edited January 2014

I see on other boards a lot of people doing gender reveal parties. I didn't do one myself - I just hand-made some Christmas ornaments with blue glitter and 'boy' on the side and gave them to the new grandparents at thanksgiving, but not making a big deal of the thing. (edit - I thought I should add we found out the gender 3 days before thanksgiving and everyone was dying to know. LO is first baby, grandbaby, and great grandbaby on both sides of the family).

I think doing a party is fine, as long as it's more of a low-key BBQ type thing with the focus on visiting with close family/friends and then you 'happen' to also be revealing the gender at the party by doing something easy, like cutting a cake, cupcakes, or balloons. I'd say it's definitely not a gift-giving type of event, nor should there be formal invitations.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I realize I am in the minority here, but I had a Gender Reveal Party (yes, I know it's not technically revealing the gender, it's revealing the sex) and it was AWESOME!  I was so glad I did it.  My husband and I hosted it ourselves and did put "no gifts" on the invite.  A couple people did bring gifts, but like you mention, we didn't open them at the party.  People LOVED it.  I got a ton of compliments on how fun it was and people were talking about what a good time they had days later.  I don't enjoy showers and games or anything like that, but gathering my close friends and family and having them there with me when I found out I was having a boy was amazing.  One of the best memories ever.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Thanks for all the posts, lots to think about. I will be having a gender reveal either way (me hosting or someone else), so posts saying they are dumb were a little void but thanks fo the opinions!
  • Do whatever makes you happy.

It seems like simple, obvious enough advice, and yet I haven't seen anyone mention it.
    Delilah Noel
    4/25/14 12:41am

• Going on vacations makes me very happy.  Maybe I should throw a party and charge a fee so as raise those vacation funds.  Screw budgeting, saving and sacrificing.  If my friends and family love me like they say they do, then they should be more than happy to give me money and celebrate me going on a vacation.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"