December 2012 Moms

Dentist?

Are you taking your LO to the dentist yet?  Ive read in a few places they should go around age 1.  I mentioned it to a few family members and they said they didn't take their LOs until they were about 4. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Dentist?

• JessAnnJJessAnnJ member
    edited January 2014
    We took her for her first appointment a couple weeks ago. The dentist looked into her mouth, swiped something on her teeth, and gave us instructions regarding cleaning her teeth. I think it's mostly so they get used to the dentist and I guess if there was some issue with how her teeth are coming in.

Edit to add - DD hates having her mouth messed with. I may never know when her molars come in. But, the dentist was able to check her teeth.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Milla has her first appointment this coming Thursday. At DSs last visit that what the ped dentist recommended especially since she already has so many teeth.
    I waited until DS was 3.5 or so and already had a cavity, I'm not doing that again. It was horrible getting it filled.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • They should be seeing the dentist at age 1 or 6 months after they get their first teeth, which ever comes first. They need to see them. Things can happen in such a short amount of time with their teeth at this age. There's a pediatric dentist that floats around the Parenting board that can give great info.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DH's cousin is a dental hygienist and she recommends taking them by 18 months, and definitely by 2. Like PPs said, it's mostly to get them used to going, but also to check on how their teeth are coming in.
  • Out pediatrician said six months after the first tooth, but that was last month and we haven't even found a dentist yet. My SIL is a hygienist and she said they recommend by 2 at the latest (she also commented that since we don't give my son juice, sodas, and sweets it's not that urgent, that they really see problems with parents who do that and use it as a chance to educate them)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our dentist wants to see her at 2, unless we suspect a problem before that.  He's pretty conservative, so I feel comfortable with that.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• Our dentist recommends around 3 and will take her around then. We still have not taken DD1, who is 3.5. Her first appointment is scheduled for April I believe. 
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• Our dentist say 3 and says pediatric dentists are a waste unless there is an issue. However he does recommend that you bring them to your appointments prior to being seen themselves so they can see what happens and take rides in the chair. So my kids always went at 3. Also when I brush my kids' teeth I make them recline back so its similar to a dentist chair. My dental assistant was shocked how well my kids did their first time and I said how I brush them and she now recommends that to her patients.
  • @Quidditchcapn1120

She's the one you guys need tot talk to. She's a pediatric dentist. They should be seen way before 3, she'll tell you why.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hi!

I think this question has been answered directly how I would answer it, but if anyone has any other questions, I would be more than happy to answer.

If anyone cares, here is the guideline per the AAPD on when to take kids and why:

https://www.aapd.org/media/Policies_Guidelines/G_Periodicity.pdf
  • Yes, the ADA recommends first tooth or first year.  We actually had to postpone his first appt to Feb 14 b/c I got called to jury duty on his first scheduled appt on Jan 17.  But our pedi was adamant that my first go by age 2, so we will be going very soon.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"