Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

baby food

my daughter is 4.5 months old and the pedi said I could start baby food ,so I did. and she loves it! it was a big hit for her! however, I'm confused about how "filling" it is for her. Is a whole jar equal to a whole bottle? I guess I'm just kind of wondering about the conversion, and how much I should be feeding her at this age. The pedi did say no more than once a day, but she didn't say how much once a day. This morning she ate a whole "1" food jar. How long is this supposed to last her?
Liliana Seraphina born 9/5/2103

Re: baby food

• Options
    You should be offering bottle first than food. Food is not to fill up on. It is just to learn how to eat. I've only been offering my almost 6 month old about a tablespoon of food 4/5 times a week.
  • Options
    I believe I read solids shouldn't replace bottles at this point. Bottle first then food after, however much LO wants, maybe 1-2 spoonfuls? But we havent started yet but have been reading up on it.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers.
    image image image. image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My LO is 5 months.  He will eat all of a stage 1 some nights and maybe half another.  He still wants a bottle afterwards.  It does not affect how much formula he takes even if he eats the baby food first.  All kids are different.  He was ready early, and I held him off as long as I could.  Ask your Pedi about what she thinks is right.  Then go on your instincts.  I watch for cues from him.  If he is tired or fine otherwise, I don't bother with foods.  However......it's getting to the point where he waits for it.  
  • Options
    You need to feed a bottle before giving solids. Solids aren't for filling up right now, they are for learning texture, swallowing and all that fun stuff. In the beginning, Lucas was only eating a couple of spoonfuls.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Don't worry about what's filling.  Use the mantra "before 1 it's just for fun!" towards solids.  Lately I've been putting LO in a high chair while we eat our meals, at the table with us, and putting a tablespoon of pureed fruit or vegetable on his tray and letting him play with it/eat it.  Sometimes he'll eat up to 2 tablespoons, sometimes he just puts it in his hair, sometimes he screams at it, but the point really isn't to provide a big source of his diet, just to familiarize himself with food and experiment.  Most of his nutrition and calories should be coming from breast milk or formula for the first year.
  • Options
    I do 1-2 tablespoons at dinner after he's had a bottle.  DS is a little piggy and would eat the whole jar if I let him but then he'd throw up and that doesn't work for either of us!  Those 1-2 tablespoons last a decent amount of time with little baby spoons :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"