Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Cold climate-- bucket seat too heavy; how to keep baby warm to and from car?

Hi Ladies!

So my knees have been killing me and I realized that it's the way I have to leverage DS to get him into the center seat in the bucket. He's just too heavy in that thing! So, I am wanting to put him into the convertible. The only issue I can see right now is how to keep him warm. DD was transferred to the convertible in the summer so it wasn't an issue. Thin fleece bunting? I use a Patagonia down sweater for DD but I'm worrying about how floppy DS is trying to get a coat on and off him. Anyone in the same situation? What do you do to keep the babe warm? Wrapping in a blanket is not practical b/c I have DD and I have no idea how I'd keep DS wrapped up and DD wrangled on a busy day. I will wear him in and out of stores or put him in the stroller. etc but it's just those in and out days I'm thinking of.

Thanks!

Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Cold climate-- bucket seat too heavy; how to keep baby warm to and from car?

• Where are you?  Just how cold is it where you are?

It's been about 5-10 with wind chill here but I just take the baby out to the van and put him in his seat.  Once he's buckled I use a lovely, fuzzy warm blanket I keep at his seat and tuck it around him.  I'm sure he is a little chilly at first but we all are.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Thanks... We are in MA. I guess I am looking for some sort of clothing or something that isn't a hassle or unsafe in the car seat. With DD being 3 we are out a lot and its often too windy and cold to get him quickly strapped in to a bjorn or babyhawk just in his clothes. (Not to mention hello 10 min by the time I get everyone in/out of the car!). Can't wait until spring!
  • Loading the player...
  • We haven't transitioned to the convertible yet but planning on it soon.  If you're carrying him anyway, I don't think throwing a blanket over him changes how you're able to deal with your daughter as well, kwim?  Just literally throw it around him and pick him up :)  We just stick with a thin fleece (or fleece jammies), hat, mittens and a blanket.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• I live in a very cold climate so I can understand your dilemma perfectly. We have not transitioned yet either and I might be able to wait till spring.  I would definitely have to do something to keep him warm between car and inside and with snowsuits being a no-no for car seats I've done a little bit of research. (although lots of people here put their babies and kids in snow suits in the car seat even though that's generally not recommended). Some people put baby right into their snow suit in the car but I don't see this as very practical since you'll be taking them out of it 30 seconds later in the house or store or wherever you may be going. 

There is a person on Facebook called "The Car Seat Lady", she will have some tips on there so you could check her out.  I think she recommends fleece lined pants, boots, hat, toque etc.. and a warm sweater then wrapping baby in a blanket (although you said this might not be practical but you might have to give it a go and practice with your DD learning to always hold on to your jacket and stay close). I see your pickle though- it can't be easy with two in tow!  Hope you find an easy and practical solution :)

• Columbia makes a fleece bunting that is safe for car seat use. I know it is recommended a lot on the Car Seats for the Littles Facebook pages. We have one and it is very warm but still quite thin. I definitely recommend it. Plus, it's much easier to take on and off than dressing them in hat, boots, sweater, etc. It's one piece with a warm hood and cuffs that turnover. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have the interchangable winter suit from Columbia for our daghter and its wonderful... and the best part is she still fits securely in her seat. We live in the Midwest where today the temp is -8 with a windchill of -20 it works just fine. I still take a blanket over her face but that is mostly due to the fact the wind here right now is awful...

https://www.columbia.com/Bugababy-Interchange-Bunting/SN7933,default,pd.html

• Thanks ladies! Will eefinitely check out both options. Been wrapping him in the blanket and inside my coat, works ok... I definitely need a better solution and the fleece sounds great. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"