TTC After a Loss
Options

Hsg test

Hi! I'm not new but I haven't been consistent. So a little refresher back in July I had to have a Dnc because I had a tumor the size of a softball attached to me Fallopian tube, abdominal wall and bowels is was supposed to be done robotically but was too big so I had to have a c section. With all that getting done I didn't think to have my doctor check to make sure my tubes were working (since they removed part of my left Fallopian tube). So I just now remembered 6 months later and I'm having the hsg test done next Friday. Have anyone else had this done? I'm scared of it hurting lol. My doctor also told me that it could possibly increase my odds of getting pregnant. But it didn't work for my good friend. Do any of you know anyone it worked for?

Re: Hsg test

• Options
    I just had it yesterday actually. It took about 10 minutes so it's not a long process by any means, though it is uncomfortable. Not sure what your pain threshold is but it didn't HURT, just felt like some pressure and cramping, and then it was done. The doctor also told me some people have success after this test, so she told me to "go try to get pregnant"... like I wasn't already doing that? Anyway it's uncomfortable but not unbearable. ((Hugs)) sorry that you have to go through it at all!

imageLilypie - (zxAe)

• Options

I just had it yesterday actually. It took about 10 minutes so it's not a long process by any means, though it is uncomfortable. Not sure what your pain threshold is but it didn't HURT, just felt like some pressure and cramping, and then it was done. The doctor also told me some people have success after this test, so she told me to "go try to get pregnant"... like I wasn't already doing that? Anyway it's uncomfortable but not unbearable. ((Hugs)) sorry that you have to go through it at all!

Lol I guess it would depend on my pain tolerance. Thanks though and I'm sorry you had to go through it too. Did you take anything before hand? And what day of you cycle did you go on? If you don't mind me asking.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had an SHG, so not exactly what you're having, but I think the discomfort level is supposed to be pretty similar (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) and mine wasn't bad at all.  I took 3 Advil about 45 minutes before I went, so that might have helped.  I have heard that you have slightly increased odds for the next 3 cycles after an HSG, but keep in mind that it is intended as a diagnostic test and not as a treatment.  It's not a dramatic increase from what I understand.

My Ovulation Chart
    TTC since March 2012 
    BFP #1 1/29/13, EDD 10/9/13 
    MMC discovered at 10 weeks (baby measured 9 weeks) D&C on 3/16/13 
    BFP #2  CP on 3/31/14
    BFP #3  8/11/14  EDD 4/22/14
  • Options
    I have one IRL friend that got pg a month after her hsg after ttc a year. But sadly I know over a hundred people from 3t that had that done and didn't, myself included.
    Mine hurt but only for two minutes and I'm sure you can get through those two minutes to know if your tubes are clear if you have pain and many people do it without pain so fx you're a lucky one.

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• Options

I had an SHG, so not exactly what you're having, but I think the discomfort level is supposed to be pretty similar (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) and mine wasn't bad at all.  I took 3 Advil about 45 minutes before I went, so that might have helped.  I have heard that you have slightly increased odds for the next 3 cycles after an HSG, but keep in mind that it is intended as a diagnostic test and not as a treatment.  It's not a dramatic increase from what I understand.

SHG did not hurt near as much because an HSG is dye in the tubes not saline in the ute. It was the dye that hurt me, not the cath past the cervix (which is the same for both). If your pain was from the cath then that would be similar.

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• Options
    I took Ibuprofen 2 hours before and then again once it was over. I have the saline sono today (this week SUCKS) so I'll let you know how that goes if you have to have that as well. I was CD 10 for the HSG.

imageLilypie - (zxAe)

• Options
    i took 3 advil and a valium before mine and it was a breeze.  zero pain, slight cramping for about 1 minute.  good luck!

BFP 7/16/13, EDD 3/27/14 - blighted ovum  - D&C 8/26/13
    Dx PCOS and Septate Uterus
    Septum Resection - 2/6/14
    brand new cuterus
    March 2014:   first medicated cycle + iui
    = BFP!
    Baby Drgn born December 3, 2014

• Options
    Thanks ladies. I really hope everything is fine when I go in. Idk why I'm so nervous
  • Options
    jenbunSCjenbunSC member
    edited January 2014
    I just had an HSG last month. The most uncomfortable part for me was the clamp and inserting the cath but it wasn't that much worse than a pap. My tubes were open and I felt almost nothing during the process, NO pain or cramps or anything of the sort.  One of my friends had more discomfort but one of her tubes was partially blocked and they cleared it. Not sure if the blockage is what caused the pain or if she just has a lower pain tolerance.  I did spot for about 2 days after, which my doctor told me to expect before hand. He also told me that it could help conceiving.. no such luck last month, but it apparently can help for up to 3 so I'm praying for this month. :)
    Good Luck!!
    DH and I are 29.  Married 7-17-10
    Started actively TTC January 2013
    BFP #1 - 2/3/13, EDD - 10/11/13, natural MC 3/21/13 
    BFP #2 - 6/8/13, EDD - 2/20/14, ectopic, MTX given 6/26/13 
    BFP #3 - 12/10/13, chemical pregnancy
    RPL - normal  ..  HSG - clear
    BFP#4 - 2/2/14, EDD 10-19-14 - Beta #1: HCG 64, Progesterone 41
  • Options
    I had mine about a year ago.  It wasn't too bad, just crampy, but quick.  I took the recommended pain med before hand.  I did get pregnant that cycle, my 13th cycle.  But that was my MC.    Good luck!

TTC since March 2012
    DX: MFI (4% motility)

Cycle 13: Natural cycle w/ HSG test = BFP
    Identical twins! 
    Lost my angel boys at 10.5 weeks

Cycle 14-16: Natural Cycles = BFN
    Cycle 17: Follistim + Trigger + IUI = BFN
    Cycle 18: Natural Cycle = BFN
    Cycle 19: Follistim + Trigger +IUI#2
    Polyp found: SIS 11/11 - hysteroscopy 11/14
    Cycle 20: Follistim + IUI#2 = BFFN
    Cycle 21: Follistim (adj. dosage) + IUI#3 TI  = BFN
    IUI cancelled due to weather
    Cycle 22: Follistim + IUI#3.1 = BFN

Cycle 23: treatment break, IVF consult
    Cycle 24 - 26: natural cycle w/ acupuncture + Chinese herbs = BFN
    Cycle 27: Follistim + IUI#4 = BFFN
    Natural Cycles until IVF
    Cycle 30: IVF#1 - Starting with Menopur + Follistim + Ganirelix
    17 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 5dt w/ 2 blasts, 5 frosties

Betas:  #1-156(9dp5dt), #2-1200(13dp5) #3-6112(17dp5)
    Ultrasound #1 10/6: 1 bean!
    TEAM BLUE!

My Chart
    ~~ALL WELCOME~~

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I had one as well, it wasn't bad at all. The anticipation was worse than the test for me. Good luck!

"It's, not, where you are, it's where you're going,
    And it's, not, about the things you've done, it's what you're doing, now"

TTC Journey Began 8/12
    BFP #1 11/9/12, MMC/D&C 12/21/12 @ 9w2d, EDD 7/24/13
    SAs: 2%-3% Morph - RE Official Diagnosis
    Unexplained
     BFN = IUI #1 (Clomid) | IUI #2 (Letrozole) 
    BFP #2 4/19/14 = IUI #3 (Letrozole)
    Expecting Our Elf 12/27/14
    ~All Welcome~

• Options
    I took 2 Advil before hsg. It was the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life. I was crying as I prayed for it to end. I had no idea how bad it could be but I realize everyone seems to have a different experience. I will never do this test again.
  • Options
    Hey, I had one in November, took 3 naprogesic about an hour beforehand, not painful so much as uncomfortable (and a bit awkward - but getting used to that, like maybe should install a traffic light down there at this point!)
  • Options
    I just had it done yesterday afternoon. I took 400 mg of Advil 6 hours prior and 400 mg 30 minutes prior along with a Xanax and I felt absolutely no pain at all. I felt pressure in the beginning, but other than that it was quick & painless. There was spotting immediately after & last night but nothing today (so far). I was CD10.

Good luck and update to let us know how it went!

• Options
    I'm telling you my experience not to scare you but I wish someone had prepared me a little better.  Mine hurt.  A lot.  They had trouble getting the cath in - and had to redo it multiple times, so I'm sure that was the issue.  They also had trouble getting the dye through the left tube but then it went through.  The worst part for me was the unbearable and painful bloating I had for the next 24 hours.  I don't think that is a normal reaction for most and I suspect it was inflammation from being poked and prodded so much.

But, even though it sucked - it was doable.  I did it, I'd do it again if I have to.  My sister just had one and did not have as bad a time.  Good luck today!  As others have said - bring your own pad and take lots of ibuprofen.  
    ----
    *I am no longer regularly posting on TB because of the fucked up debacle of Jan 2015 when administrators banned long-term members and mods with no notice and completely dismantled a community full of women who cared about each other.  If you see me posting it's only to give support to a poster who needs it or to post something important enough that I need to say.  I am no longer responding to  anything other than issues that affect people who I care about*
    37 years old, MH is 42
    TTC since 2010; Dx Unexplained Infertility; possible male factor 
    August 2012 through June 2013:  6 IUIs with clomid and trigger shot, all BFNs
    7/2013, Pregnant! Unmedicated--we were on a treatment break
    8/20/13 no heart beat; 8/23/13 d&c
    3/15/14 IVF #1:  Lupron/Follistim/Menopur; ER 3/10 resulting in four transfer grade blastocysts, transferred one pretty blast and froze the remaining three. BFN. 
    Natural FET in May cancelled because the universe hates me my hormones were not cooperating.
    6/24/14 FET #1: transferred two pretty embryos; BFN   
    8/28/14 FET #2: BFP, ended in Chemical pregnancy

Done with medical intervention and getting used to the idea of CFNBC.  

All welcome
  • Options
    Thanks ladies I guess I worded it wrong the test is Friday the 31st. So I have a whole 7 more days of stressing myself out lol
  • Options
    I had the HSG done last August. My dr said for most women, it's not painful and what tends to make it painful is blocked tubes. I believe most paint a numbing agent 1st to make passing the catheter easier and painless. I found the injecting of dye to be a burning sensation but nothing terrible. I did take 600mg ibuprofen 39 minutes beforehand and was on doxy for a few days as well.

Good luck! Try not to stress over it, chances are you'll be fine!

~ES~

~*~EVERYONE always welcome!!~*~
    TTC #1 since October 2012
    BFP #1 11/22/12 EDD 7/29/13 MMC 1/14/13, D&C 1/16/13
    BFP #2 5/7/13 EDD 1/14/2014 Ectopic discovered 5/21/13, lost left tube
    Referred to RE, blood work done August 2013, AMH 0.27, all else normal, HSG clear
    BFP #3 12/1/13 EDD 8/8/14, MC 12/24/13
    January 2014: RE #2, blood work repeated, homozygous MTHFR c677t, SHG clear
    BFP #4 4/7/14 EDD 12/15/14 Our rainbow was born 12/6/14 at 4:26pm! <3 

• Options
    Thanks so much I'll try I'm just a worry wart lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"