December 2012 Moms

keeping babies attention

I cannot for the life of me keep LO's attention which makes teaching new things very difficult. I can't ever get him to sit still long enough to even attempt patty cake or things similar in nature. I also can't get him to wave hello or bye bye which I feel like he should be able to do by now. I've been trying to get him to point to my nose or mouth and he'll just smile at me and run away. Last night when I went in to lay him down again I asked him 'where's mommy's nose?' and for the first time he actually did it! I'm also having trouble with him listening to me. He won't follow simple commands like bring mommy that ball but if he picks up something off the floor he shouldn't have he will give that to me if I ask. Sometimes I feel like he just plain ignores me because he doesn't want to stop doing what he's doing. Is anyone else having any of these problems? I am a FTM so I could just be being completely paranoid right now, not too sure what a 13 month old is actually suppose to be doing despite my frequent reading and googling lol 

Re: keeping babies attention

• But mom he has things to do! ;)
    He just sounds like he's busy and strong willed to me. Maybe start playing without him, but by him, and that'll get him interested... monkey see monkey do.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • I've found that the more I want DD to do something the less likely it will happen. She wants to control the show and do what she wants when she wants. I don't think it means she doesn't know how to do things, I think she just choses not to. Maybe try asking him during a diaper change since he can't run off and see if he responds differently.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Loading the player...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I've got a couple very active, strong willed, little boys too (who are the exact same age as your little guy). I don't so much plan when to teach them things, but it just sort of comes up....like practicing waving. We just kept doing it until one day LOs started imitating. Same goes for a lot of the baby signs. I started when they were around 9 months and they just looked at me funny, but I kept it up, and then one day L out of the blue started doing the signs! And then a few weeks later, N started doing them out of the blue. Once I know they're capable of something I start insisting on it (like they have to sign "more" if they want more food rather than yelling for it), but the very first part of the process is a lot of doing the same thing over and over with no result. So yeah, just hang in there, don't put pressure on yourself, but keep up what you're doing....he'll probably just surprise you one day. :)
  • Thanks so much for your responses. I was starting to worry a little! And it gets slightly frustrating when he doesn't listen but what can you do; he's a baby on a mission!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"