Pregnant after IF

Choosing an OB

Hi ladies- I'm having a rather difficult time wrapping my head around the fact that I even need an OB and even more difficulty considering places to deliver, so please bear with me if I ask some silly questions:

• What was the deciding factor in choosing your OB/midwife? 
  • Did you choose an OB/midwife based on where they deliver? (As in, chose where you wanted to deliver then found an OB who delivered there). What was important/attractive to you about your delivery center? 
  • If you chose a midwife over an OB, why did you do so?
  • What kinds of questions should I be asking of a potential OB- I'm thinking things like years of experience, what percent of patient's babies they personally delivered....what else?

Other than IF I am completely healthy, so I don't think I need anyone with specialized experience (say in chronic illnesses).
I am just overwhelmed and don't want to make the wrong decision when it still hasn't completely sunk in that all this is real. Also, I have a superstitious, IF brain fear that each step I take toward being a pregnant lady will somehow doom me and the pregnancy. I know how ridiculous that sounds; this is one thing I can't put off much longer and I would appreciate any and all help you can offer.
*****signature/ticker warning*****

Me: 31, DOR-most recent AMH 0.28 and FSH 16.5
DH:34, no issues
9/13: DOR DX
 Clomid w/IUI cycle #1& 2=BFN
Gonal-f w/ IUI cycle #3: 150 IU/day, IUI 12/16=BFP! Beta#1=175 on 12/30, beta#2=950 on 1/3, beta #3=9035 on 1/9; first U/S 1/17 showed one beautiful heartbeat @ 114,  second U/S on 1/24 hr=156 and everything perfect!
EDD:9/6/14

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Choosing an OB

• My biggest concern was delivering at a hospital with a level 3 NICU since we are having twins. I asked my RE and went with who they recommend.

***SIGGY/TICKER WARNING***

TTC since September 2012 ~ DH(32): Non-obstructive azoospermia, Me(32): Normal

10/13 - TESE found sperm!! ~ 11/13 - IVF w/ ICSI #1 ~ ER 11/23/13 ~ 10 R, 9 M, 8 F

ET 11/29/13 ~ Transferred 2 beautiful hatching blasts, 5 frosties

12/5/13 -  BFP!!! Beta #1 (12/7/13) - 189  Beta #2 (12/9/13) - 401 Beta #3 5871

12/16/13 U/S #1 - TWINS!! EDD - August 16, 2014 ~ 7/19/14 - Our beautiful baby girls joined the world!

• edited January 2014
    I wanted to deliver at the best hospital in my area so I looked at what doctors delivered there and they actually had video entries so you can get a feel for them and my OB just seemed to have the best bedside manner and I agreed with a lot of his views. The other midwives and obs were great but I just instantly felt comfortable with him and he really has been amazing. I suggest you go on multiple interviews with OBs and midwives and don't settle until you find your fit. What was important to me was a DR that put what's best for my baby first. He doesn't like inducing Or unnecessary c sections, he isn't meds happy and fully explains the effects of them on the baby. He is cautious but laid back. He doesn't freak me out about all the x y z possibilities unless they are relevant. A lot of things I want in a doctor.

ETA: my OB also works with a lot of ivf patients so the transition to him was very smooth and he understands my anxieties and concerns and he also understands what this baby means to me. Not that other people don't love their babies but he understands what it took to get here.
  • Loading the player...
  • I chose my OB before my pg, as there were surgeries I needed to prepare me for IVF.  If I had them done through my OB and not my RE, they weren't called fertility services and therefore, were covered without eating into my fertility benefits.  I love my OB - I trust him entirely.  Things I would take into account:
    How long have they been practicing?  Do they have experience with high-risk pregnancies?
    For some women, will they let your midwife be present in the delivery room?  Mine won't - they say they basically just get in the way.  
     All things considered, are they willing to attempt a vaginal birth if the baby is breech? 
    How likely is it that your own OB will be the one delivering your baby, or will you end up with whoever's on call?  My Doc will be there unless he's out of town.  
    What hospital do they deliver at?
    I would echo what others have said about C-section rates and meds, but the biggest thing to me on those - is the OB going to explain everything, give their best medical opinion, and then respect my wishes?  What about epesiotomies?  
    How long do I have to wait for an appt?  What if I have an urgent concern?
    There are a lot of reasons I love my doctor - but mainly because he listens to me but still tells me if he thinks I'm wrong.  :)  Some things are up to me, but he is (in a kind way) confident in his abilities, as he's been delivering babies since I was a young'un.  When I went in and they couldn't find the HB with a dopplar on one of my twins, he went ahead and did a quick scan just to put me at ease.  
    m/c my Angel Baby in 2000
    IUIs with clomid from 2009-2011   Feb 2011 - Tubal surgery (repair)  Jan 2012 - Tubal surgery (remove)  
    8/13 IVF#1.  Lupron/Follistim protocol - b/g twins born April 1 at 34 +1.  Luckiest woman in the world.
    8/15 FET #1 - transferred 1 thawed embryo - Pregnant with Baby C, it's a girl!  Due April 2016. Pregnancy Ticker  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD.  Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans for hope and a future"   Jer 29:11
    "All things work together for good to them that love God, who are the called according to His purpose"  Rom 8:28
    "I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of salvation unto all who believe"  Rom 1:16
  • Thank you for posting this. I was starting to wonder about all of this myself.
    Me 29 DH 30 Unexplained IF TTC since wedding May 2012. IUI #1 11/5/13-BFN.  IUI #2 12/5/13-BFN. IUI #3-12/30/14. All three with Femara CD 3-7 and Ovidrel trigger. +HPT 1/13/14 First +ever!!! Beta #1 195 Beta #2 1/15-533. Ultrasound on 2/4 showed one bean. EDD 9/22/14. Team Green turned Team Blue-Baby Conner arrived on 9/19/14.

• Thank you all for your advice and questions, I feel much more prepared now.
    *****signature/ticker warning*****

Me: 31, DOR-most recent AMH 0.28 and FSH 16.5
    DH:34, no issues
    9/13: DOR DX
     Clomid w/IUI cycle #1& 2=BFN
    Gonal-f w/ IUI cycle #3: 150 IU/day, IUI 12/16=BFP! Beta#1=175 on 12/30, beta#2=950 on 1/3, beta #3=9035 on 1/9; first U/S 1/17 showed one beautiful heartbeat @ 114,  second U/S on 1/24 hr=156 and everything perfect!
    EDD:9/6/14

BabyFetus Ticker

• I picked a local hospital, then looked into who delivered there. When I was asking for my first appointment I requested that the coordinator put me with someone who would be kind and easy going- but I wasn't really given the opportunity to interview. And even if I had, I'm the kind of person to go with a gut feeling about my doc choice over stats. I want a doc who I can click with and communicate with- because if I can't communicate with my doc, then my care always always suffers.

Unfortunately the doc the coordinator chose was really really really not right for me. 

Fortunately, the on call doc the night of my late loss was affiliated with the same practice and she and I get along perfectly well. Exactly the kind of kind and laid back- while still caring enough to make sure I'm taken care of. So I transferred to her and have been with her through this pregnancy.

I have no idea what her csection rate is or how long she's been in practice. I do know that when everything went to hell- she listened to my requests about medications and interventions and gave me reasoned answers when she disagreed with me. That was the most important thing to me.

I'd see about interviewing if you can but I don't really think the questions matter as much as being able to talk to him/her without it feeling horribly awkward/forced. Because being pregnant is awkward enough without trying to discuss it with the doctor equivalent of a brick wall.
    Friends for 17 years. Married 10. TTC since Jan 2009.
    3 IVFs, 4 FETs, 11 transferred embryos, 3 losses (c/p, 6w, 17w)
    2012: Lost "Peanut" at 17weeks to PTL/IC.
     Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    2013: IVF#3/FET#4  Elisabeth CJ born April 30, 2014
    Cerclage, P17, and 3 months of bed rest brought us our Rainbow.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
     Dum spiro, spero.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"