2nd Trimester

Birth Control question...

So I know I could have lurked on similar posts but I have too much going on today to do all that, so please bear with me.

Ive never been on any kind of birth control and I'm honestly not very educated on it. And after getting a surprise BFP, I realized that I'm fertile myrtle and I need to look into my options for b/c for after I have baby#2 in June.

So what b/c do you use or recommend and why?? Also, which ones would you advice women to stay away from?

Thanks for the help!

Re: Birth Control question...

• I personally would recommend the Mirena IUD...I had huge success with it, no period, no cramps, no scares, it was great.  My doc put it in at my 6 week post partum after DS and I had it in for almost 5 years before removing and successfully getting pregnant right away.  It was easy to put it and easy to have removed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Personally speaking, Mirena did not work for me. However, I know other women that have thought it was the best thing since sliced bread, so please take what I say with a grain of salt. It left me moody/borderline depressed. I had zero sex drive and shortly after having it removed, it felt like a fog had lifted. I had it in for about 3 years.

I had tried Yaz and it gave me some crazy headaches. I may just be sensitive to the hormones in BC though and again, you may not experience any of this.

I'm going to look into Paragard in the next little bit. It's a cooper IUD and I think it may be my best option as it doesn't secrete hormones.

If you've never been on BC, it'll be hard to know what your body will respond to and it may just have to be trial and error if you're unable to find one that works for you right out of the gate. There are different brands that are higher in certain types of hormones which is why they can all affect you so differently.

Good luck when the time comes!!! I hope you find the option that's right for you.  :)

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I was on the pill for more than eleven years and really loved it.  I just don't think it is the best option for me at this point in my life.  I will be going with a mirena at 6 week postpartum visit.

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• deedee830 said:

Personally speaking, Mirena did not work for me. However, I know other women that have thought it was the best thing since sliced bread, so please take what I say with a grain of salt. It left me moody/borderline depressed. I had zero sex drive and shortly after having it removed, it felt like a fog had lifted. I had it in for about 3 years.

I had tried Yaz and it gave me some crazy headaches. I may just be sensitive to the hormones in BC though and again, you may not experience any of this.

I'm going to look into Paragard in the next little bit. It's a cooper IUD and I think it may be my best option as it doesn't secrete hormones.

If you've never been on BC, it'll be hard to know what your body will respond to and it may just have to be trial and error if you're unable to find one that works for you right out of the gate. There are different brands that are higher in certain types of hormones which is why they can all affect you so differently.

Good luck when the time comes!!! I hope you find the option that's right for you.  :)

Almost my exact situation.

1st pregnancy: m/c began 1/12/09 d&c 1/13/09 8wks. Baby stopped growing at about 6wks.

Delaney: Born 10/15/09

Gavin: Born 4/8/11

Baby #3: due July 10, 2014

• I was on Yasmin for about 6 years and loved it at the time. when i went off of it i realized a lot of symptoms I started getting on the pill (anxiety, mild depression) went away and i felt better overall. At the time i did not associate it with the pill. Until i did research on other side effects of yasmin. I probably will go on the pill again, but probably the low dose ones. I have heard really good things about them.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I think everyone else has made good points that it is going to really depend on the individual.  Since you've never been on it, you really don't have any idea how your body will react to it, so you may have some trial and error to deal with.  You should definitely discuss this with your doctor.  My 2 cents: I've done various pills, never had any significant side effects on any of them.  My least favorite is the mini pill because you have to take it at the same time every day for it to be most effective.  That just doesn't work for me.  DH and I haven't really decided if we're done after this one, but if we are, I'll probably be looking into an IUD.  If we aren't done, I'll hold off and just temp and chart because we'll want the next one sooner rather than later.
  • Thanks ladies! I'm planning on talking to my OB about all this and seeing what works best for me... I probably will have to do some trials with a few of the options.. I'm only 19 weeks so I know I have plenty of time to look into this but I figure it's never too early!
  • I used ortho-tricyclin lo for nearly 7 years with good results. It helped regulate my flow and other nasty period symptoms, and I got pregnant within a month of going off of it. I was sexually active for about 4 years of that time and never even had a scare.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was on BCP for 10 years before TTC.  I spoke with my doctor yesterday and I think I am going to get the Mirena put in since I will try to breastfeed.
  • spartybride3spartybride3 member
    edited January 2014
    When I was in high school I started on Ortho Tri Cyclen and was on it for a few years. Then the changing hormone levels in the pills started giving me ovarian cysts (or so my dr said), so I switched to Femcon and was on that for about 10 years with no issues. I had SUPER light periods (just used a liner) that only lasted a couple days. A couple years ago I tried the pill where you have your period every 3 months and it did not work for me. I had my period (mid pack) and it lasted a month. Also, I also got name brand prescriptions because the generics gave me horrible mood swings. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen for awhile, then switched to the NuvaRing. The ring was better, because the dose is consistent, but DH and I agreed that hormonal BC is not for me. After this baby's born, I'm leaving all that up to him, cuz I've done enough with my body (he's getting a vasectomy). In the meantime, we prefer the Durex condoms - no stinky latex smell!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"