Natural Birth
Options

Gatorade vs. vitamin water

I've heard/read that in addition to water, it's a really good idea to have energy drinks on hand for labor. Thing is, I don't really like gatorade to begin with, and I'm not a huge fan of the food dyes, etc. that are used. Anyone know if vitamin water is an adequate substitute, or do you really need the electrolyte mix in gatorade to keep your energy up?
imageimage
BFP #1 08/05/12. EDD 4/15/13 m/c 08/27/12
BFP #2 06/05/13. EDD 2/16/2014 (Team Blue). Baby Wombat born 2/20/2014 7lb. 11oz and 20 in.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Gatorade vs. vitamin water

• Options
    I honestly haven't read up on vitamin water - I just assumed it was full of stuff like Gatorade is? I don't know. BUT, I've heard great things about coconut water as a Gatorade substitute!
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

I honestly haven't read up on vitamin water - I just assumed it was full of stuff like Gatorade is? I don't know. BUT, I've heard great things about coconut water as a Gatorade substitute!

Coconut water is a great, natural substitute. Also broth is a good source of electrolytes without all the dyes and chemicals.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Agree, coconut water and broth for during and OJ for after!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yup, coconut water
  • Options
    My midwife suggested Emergen-C. At the hospital they also gave me cranberry juice and apple sauce during labor. I didn't want it at the time, but they pushed hard for me to drink/eat to keep up my energy.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world. ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the ideas, ladies! I tried coconut water once several years ago and remember not liking it, but I'll pick some up and give it a try - might still be preferable to gatorade. And cranberry juice /emergen-C also sound like great options. 
    imageimage
    BFP #1 08/05/12. EDD 4/15/13 m/c 08/27/12
    BFP #2 06/05/13. EDD 2/16/2014 (Team Blue). Baby Wombat born 2/20/2014 7lb. 11oz and 20 in.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I used emergen-c during my labor and it really helped to keep my energy during my 75+hr labor

Engaged 10/2/1202
    BFP (a lil quicker than expected) 12/7/2012
    Married to my best friend 12/24/2012
    Beautiful baby girl arrived 8/15/2013
    BFP #2 3/13/2016

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"