2nd Trimester
Options

To have or not to have?? Crib bumpers.

2»

Re: To have or not to have?? Crib bumpers.

• Options
    I didn't use one until my son was 11m. I'll probably do the same with this one. Also, I find it funny that people would honestly think that you have no regard for your child's safety based on your original post. People think too much! My god, it seems we have to have a disclaimer for everything we write. Lol.
  • Options
    RedInLoveRedInLove member
    edited January 2014
    jmknox said:
    Hey I'm a first time mom so that's why I'm asking, not bc I am retarded. Safety is paramount to me. I've never heard anyone talk about using them before and NOTED there are quite a few of them sold in sets out there. Thus I asked the question. Thanks for the input ladies, now I know a bit more.
    @jmknox:

photo May2014jpg photo MomTatWhiteNew40jpg

It’s not that I don’t like you, it’s that I don’t know you. Stranger Danger.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm not registering for or purchasing any bedding sets. They seem like a total waste of money since most of the stuff they come with is not recommended.

And the lady who says bumpers "work for" her & her family...um ok. Until they don't. And how exactly are they working for you, anyways? They do nothing.

imageimageimage
    H e n r y  May 21, 2014

• Options
    BMaidPlannerBMaidPlanner member
    edited January 2014
  • Options

definitely a NO for bumpers for me

It's a SIDS  risk - not only for suffocation risks but also because air flow is reduced in the crib because of the bumpers, and that's a big risk for SIDS

plus they don't roll until they are a few months old, we waited til dd got her leg stuck once and then I put on breathable bumpers (mesh)

• Options
    Tweeks23 said:
    Tweeks23 said:
    Tweeks23 said:
    Both my boys had bumpers. A newborn isn't going to roll over to the bumper and smoother themselves. Once the baby is strong enough to roll over they are strong enough to hold their head up. My boys loved their bumpers and actually snuggled up to them when they got older. I tried taking it off once (for each of them) and they woke up screaming in the middle of the night b/c their arms were stuck. Its personal preference but I never had an issue with them. Same as sleeping your kid with a blanket. Once they were old enough to roll I slept them with a blanket and they still use it every night for bed. Its whatever works for you and your baby.
    So, since you argue babies can't get close to bumpers and once they do they can lift their heads, you feel bumpers aren't unsafe? Oh.
    This girl asked for our opinions and this is mine. I used them for my boys and plan on using them again for this baby. Its personal preference.

It's really not a matter of personal preference. It's a matter of health and safety for your child. That is as crazy as people who refuse medical treatment for "religious reasons" and put their babies at risk. Bumpers are actually illegal in some places. So that's like saying "I don't like rear-facing car seats. The forward facing ones look cute. It's my personal preference" No. Those rules are there for a reason. Just because many children had bumpers in their cribs and survived (and never rear-faced in the car) doesn't mean you should ignore all the science behind the warnings. 
    Yes I understand health and safety for children but myself and everyone I know had bumpers and our parents slept us on our stomachs and we are fine. I napped my boys on their stomach a lot. They were colic and would scream for 15hrs a day and sleeping them on their stomachs was the only things that helped calm them down and soothe them. Of course I was sitting right next to them and never left them alone on their stomachs until they were old enough to turn onto their stomachs by themselves. I say do what works for you. I have a friend who has her 5yr old rear facing STILL and I think that is ridiculous. She can barely sit in the seat b/c her legs are too long but that is what she wants to do and what works or them and that is fine. 

Did you just miss my last sentence?

Also, nothing else you said there has any relevance to your argument. But you go ahead and make a dangerous decision for your child, even though you know better. At least your crib will be cute.
    Ok so you think its a dangerous decision and that is fine. It is what we have done and will continue to do b/c it works for us and our children. Oh, the crib is going to be fabulous!
    @Tweeks23 It's not that anyone here *thinks* crib bumpers are dangerous, it's an actual fact.  FWIW, the AAP also *thinks* crib bumpers are dangerous.  

Congrats on that fabulous crib though.  Fuckwit.

This. What an irresponsible dipshit.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

wow - ignorance is no longer an excuse

the whole 'well everyone i know was fine' excuse is SO ridiculous

I also have a friend whose sibling died from SIDS

is it REALLY worth the risk? crazy, just crazy

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"