Working Moms

birthday party ?

DD and DS used to go to DC by my job.  It's an urban area and there were no birthday parties.  Now they go to DC near our house, a more suburban area, and DD's been invited to quite a few.  She'll be 4 in March, I feel like she's already kind of struggled to fit in because everyone in her class is a year older than her, so they're more verbal and social.  I guess they felt putting her in that class she'd have to transition less, but I see how quite she is in school and I'm not sure how comfortable she is although she does seem to enjoy herself.  I would like to have a party for her and her DC friends, but the parties she's been going to have been at these new, fancy party places.  The parties are great, but they're easily $500-$600.  These have also been only children.  We have two kids, spend a fortune on daycare, and just can not afford a party like that.  I could have a party for her at her old gymnastic school or a bowling party (we took her today for ther 1st time and she had a blast).  I just kind of feel like a party like that wouldn't be good enough compared to what she's been to.  Would you worry about something like that?  I know DD doesn't care, I would just hate for her friends to judge her.

Re: birthday party ?

• Bowling parties effing rock. Do that! Or do a nearby park with a great playground and a ton of balloons. Kids LOVE balloons. I hear you. My DS is set on a party at a particular location. I looked into it today and it was going to be close to 500. :-O yeah, right.........
  • Loading the player...
  • jf198400 said:
    There is no way a 4-5 yr old would know the difference. Both options sound super fun. If a parent judges, then they're an asshole, screw them.

This.  Do people really think 4 yr olds would judge other 4 yr olds?  Really???????
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The KIDS are not going to judge.  Seriously.  They could care less.

IF the parents judge, who cares?  You have to not worry about them.  And honestly, some might be RELIEVED to see that another parent is breaking the 'trend'.  Do what works for YOU.

But honestly- I doubt the parents will judge.  They are just doing what they like/are used to/ can afford.  And even if some judge, I will guarantee you that not all will. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I think gymnastics party sounds like a blast. We've been to a few and they were great - what kid doesn't like trampolines and swings?
    Kids won't judge. Not at that age. And if parents do - so much the sadder for them.
    Unrelated - but why is your DD in class that is a year older? That does not seem like best developmental solution.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • A kid's birthday party does not need to be fancy or expensive. Do what you think your DD will enjoy within a budget that works for you. No one will judge.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • I think you should do what DD will enjoy and not what breaks the bank.  A bowling party sounds super fun.  I also think parties at home with some simple activities like games and a pinata are just fine too.  If you wanted to go all out for a home party rent a magician for an hour or something.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We had the boys' parties at different party places because we were living in a small condo, and they were winter/early spring. However, we moved into our house this Fall, and DS' party on Sunday is at our house, and I am so excited! I just don't want to spend the extra money. So I am all in favor of parties at home.

Also, sometimes parties at other places are just so structured. You go, do a specific activity, eat cake, go home at a set time. Parties at home just let the kids hang out and play. We'll have some games and an indoor bouncy house (Christmas gift from the grandparents...). The only downside is needing to clean the house better than usual.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"