December 2013 Moms

Bulge in areola... Help!

SarahDavis83SarahDavis83 member
edited January 2014 in December 2013 Moms
I'm 3wks 3days post partum and still having a lot of nipple pain and some bleeding. I've tried expressing milk and using lanolin. On the advisement of an LC, I got some gel soothie pads to help with the healing. I put them on yesterday for the first time and have used them off and on in the last 24 hours. I took them off today at one point to breastfeed. I fed on the left first. I noticed my right was leaking so I stuck a burp cloth under it until I was done on the left. When I got to my right, I looked down and there was a bulge on the areola next to the nipple. It went down after a minute or two and I continued to feed. Noticed it bulging again just now after a shower, and it went down on it's own again. I also have constant burning in my breasts and nipples. Anybody else? Is this all normal? Cuz it effing hurts!!!

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
BFP #1 - 07-15-12; Natural MC 07-18-12
BFP #2 - 09-29-12; U/S showed baby stopped growing @ 5wks 4days - 10-30-12; D&C - 10-31-12
BFP #3 - 04-10-13; Third time is a charm... Stick, baby, stick!!!

Re: Bulge in areola... Help!

• Could be a clogged duct, will feel like a pea on the edge of the areola. Keep nursing!! And you can use warm compresses, ideally before feeding on that side to help it work itself out. I think I'm dealing with one now too. :(
  • My bulge is soft though :/

BFP #2 - 09-29-12; U/S showed baby stopped growing @ 5wks 4days - 10-30-12; D&C - 10-31-12
  • Loading the player...
  • Not sure about the bulge, but I am also dealing with some intense nipple pain. I have near-constant burning/pain in my nipples/boobs. It sucks. The nurse at my pedi is also a LC, and she had prescribed an ointment for my left nipple to help heal the damage, and had me pump to feed from that side for a few days. It definitely helped for a bit, but now I am having pain again. I think I need to be more patient when LO is latching to ensure he is getting more boob in his mouth! I am realizing that it only takes one session of a less-than-ideal latch to eff up my nip for a week. :(
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • BoothBaby said:

Not sure about the bulge, but I am also dealing with some intense nipple pain. I have near-constant burning/pain in my nipples/boobs. It sucks. The nurse at my pedi is also a LC, and she had prescribed an ointment for my left nipple to help heal the damage, and had me pump to feed from that side for a few days. It definitely helped for a bit, but now I am having pain again. I think I need to be more patient when LO is latching to ensure he is getting more boob in his mouth! I am realizing that it only takes one session of a less-than-ideal latch to eff up my nip for a week. :(

I feel ya! I also have constant burning and pain. Everyone keeps telling me it'll get better and my nips will toughen up... When will that happen?! He's almost 4 weeks old, ugh!!!

• I think @soozerella had something like this, and it was milk fat clogging her duct. Maybe she will see that she has been paged & come give some input here.
    image  image

Lilypie - (Xzno)
    Lilypie - (WIG0)
  • I think @soozerella had something like this, and it was milk fat clogging her duct. Maybe she will see that she has been paged & come give some input here.

Yes, hopefully she will! Thanks for tagging her!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"