January 2013 Moms
Options

S/O Juice

Okay, so I know the doctor said no juice until she's like 2 and even then minimal amounts.

This may seem stupid but can I give DD juice that I actually juice myself? Does that make it more okay? The other day we made apple + kale juice and I gave DD some figuring the doctor meant something more along the lines of Mott's apple juice.

Re: S/O Juice

• Options
    I agree with the PP. When doctors say no juice, it is all about the high amounts of sugar in the juice. It is really a bunch of empty calories. If you are juicing and using veggies (especially like kale....yum) I don't think there would be an issues hen given in moderation.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

• Options
    I'm pretty sure they say no juice because so many idiots give toddlers juice all the time instead of milk or water and it is a blanket suggestion to reduce the amount of sugar they're likely to have.  A doctor could easily say no sugar at all, but how many of us are planning to give (or already have) the LOs some cake for their birthdays?  As long as it is a healthy choice, I wouldn't question it, nor would I question occasionally letting LO try a less nutritious food in a small amount.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree that it's really just an effort to not give kids the sugar when there's a better option. Everything in moderation, I think.

Dd has had it a couple times, I started ds on it around one but always watered it down until he was probably 5.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Our doctor said, yes, a little juice, because LO is having hard stools and she said that the goal was to get them to slightly softer and easy to pass so we could start pting after the next appt.  We only do juice that is 30:70 juice: water and OJ or other healthier juices.  I'm sure juice you make yourself is even better.
  • Options
    Our Dr. said a little was OK also to help keep things moving along. I usually add about 1 tsp. of toddler apple juice (less sugar) to his 10 oz. sippy cup and it does the trick. Plus I'm sure it helps take away the yucky taste of tap water.
  • Options
    My pediatrician says a little bit is okay.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I am sure a little bit is fine.  The downside of juicing as opposed to eating the whole fruit is that it strips the item of a good amount of the fiber.  So, obviously it's not as good as eating a whole piece of fruit but it's not necessarily bad in moderation. I don't know when we will introduce juice but I have no plans to introduce it anytime soon.  
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"