Infertility

Diet and OHSS

So I just started stimming last night and I loaded up on protein bars/shakes and Gatorade this weekend from the store to try and prevent OHSS this time.  But it seems like there is a variety of thoughts when it comes to diet and OHSS.  I am curious what others may have heard or experienced with this.  High protein?  How much?  High salt vs low salt?  Gatorade vs coconut water?  When to start making any diet adjustments?  Any other insights???  Thanks!   
Me: 36, unexplained 
Him: 36, slightly low count 
TTC since May 2011 
IUI #1 w/Clomid - 10/2012 BFN 
Break for cysts 
IUI #2 w/Clomid - 12/2012 BFN 
Break for cysts 
IUI #3 w/Clomid - 2/2013 BFN 
Break for sanity and to work on health with diet, exercise, and acupuncture 
IVF/ICSI #1 - BCP, 150 Follistim, 150 Menopur, and Ganirelix
Retrieval 9/11/2013 - 31 eggs, 17 fertilized, 3 blasts frozen 
Transfer cancelled - Moderate OHSS 
FET #1 - 10/22/2013 Transferred 2 (1 did not survive thaw) BFP resulted in CP 
IVF/ICSI #2 - EPP - Starting stims 1/5/2014 (100 Follistim, 150 Menopur)
All welcome!

Re: Diet and OHSS

• Okay, so I was at high risk for OHSS so I did the following every day during my stims and didn't luckily get OHSS:  (1) Breakfast:  Ensure high protein shake & apple, (2) lunch: soup + salad, (3) dinner: sensible (protein, vegetable + reasonable dessert).  Good luck!

IVF #1 Oct 2013- cancelled 
    IVF #2 Mar 2014- success.... baby girl born 11/28/14
    FET #1 Mar 2016- baby boy due 12/16/16

• I drank a ton of Gatorade throughout stims. Lots of protein and high salt! I ate a lot of spicy Italian subs from subway due to the high sodium meats on there. Good luck!! Praying that OHSS stays away.
    ******************** BFP Warning *******************

I'm 29 and DH is 32 we have a MFI (low count) 
    IVF #1 starting in August. ER 9/5/13 23 eggs we are fertilizing 15. 9 frozen
    ET 9/10 - transferred 1 perfect 5AA blast
    7dp5dt BFP ~~ Beta on 9/19 - 77.4 Beta #2 on 9/21 - 357
    Low heartbeat on 10/7 86, lower heartbeat on 10/11 76, no heartbeat 10/14/13. D&C 10/15/13
    Tests revealed MTHFR c677t mutation, put on Folgard.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FET #1 1/6/14 - 4BB blast - BFN
    FET #2 - 3/3/14 - 5AB Blast -- Beta #1 3/12 - 152 -- Beta #2 3/14 - 358
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FET #3 06/09/16 - 5AB Blast - Beta #1 6/18- 245 -- Beta #2 06/20 - 600
     PAIF/SAIF/PAL/SAL welcome!

• Loading the player...
  • Unfortunately, I ate high protein for 2 weeks before stims and all throughout stims (I'm talking 90-100 grams of protein a day), tons of salty food (progresso soups, crackers and chips) drank Gatorade and coconut water like it was going out of style, and still got OHSS.

I have, however, heard that doing all of the things above have really helped a lot of ladies!

Good luck to you!

TTC since May 2012
    Me: 32 H: 31
    DX: MFI-Very Low Count, I have Hashimotos.
    IVF prep September 2013 cancelled due to Ovarian Cyst
    IVF #1 October 2013 Antagonistic Protocol with ICSI  ER 10/31/13 (18R 16M 11F- 6 blasts to freeze)
    ET delayed due to OHSS 
    FET scheduled for July 8. Delayed due to a crazy high TSH (it had been under control for YEARS!)
    FET #1 8/5/14 sET BFN 

All welcome!
  • LSN8308LSN8308 member
    edited January 2014
    for IVF #1 i didnt know much about OHSS, nurse just said ya drink more water. not much else and i had horrible OHSS. the 2nd time was a little better, i still got moderate OHSS. this last time, i was so prepared. loaded up on protein and gatorade like you, and i basically started taking them when i started to feel "full" . for me it was around day 5-6 of stims. drank as much gatorade as i could handle and would try to drink the same amount of water as well. lots of salty foods. my current nurse said cheesy salty snacks were good to have and tons of protein as well. another thing to add though is FIBER. it will help a lot, because nothing is worse than being bloated from OHSS AND CONSTIPATION esp after the ER from the anesthesia  (tmi ..i know) but if that does happen then u can double check with your office, but my nurse said i could take dulcolax and it rly helped.

i cut down on the salt and gatorade about 4 days after my ET, when i started to feel normal again. Good Luck!
    **SIGGY TICKER WARNING**
    Me: 27 High FSH (POF?) DH: 33 Slightly Low Morphology / Married Aug '08 TTC since 7/2009
    6 rounds of clomid = no luck
    IVF w/ ICSI & AZH #1 - Jan/2011 = ET cancelled OHSS
    FET #1 & #2 - March/2011 & June/2011 = Chemical Preg.
    IVF w/ Half ICSI #2 New RE - May/2012 = BFN!
    May '12 - Sep '13 - Took A Break
    Dec '13 IVF w/ Half ICSI #3!!!!! Switched RE
    Protocol - Lupron trigger/Follistim/Ganirelix/Estrace/Vivelle/Crinone
    12/27 - BFP! TWINS! EDD 9/3/14 ...Team PURPLE!
    6/27/14 - Emergency C/S @ 30w2d - Baby A 2lb 14oz, Baby B 2lb 11 oz
    ALL WELCOME :)
  • Sig Warning

Hey! I had really high estrogen during my second IVF (over 6k) and was at high risk for OHSS with so many eggs retrieved. These are the things that helped: 

About five days prior to ER, I stopped drinking water almost entirely, and the only fluids I took in were electrolyte drinks. Particularly, I drank a lot of coconut water and REcharge by RW Knudsen. I continued only drinking these drinks for another week past ER. I think this made a huge difference. 

I also started drinking two whey protein shakes twice a day leading up to and following ER. My appetite shrunk after ER, so this was some of the only nutrition I wanted/could manage. My shakes were: 1/4cup bob's red mill whey protein + banana + 1.5 cups other frozen fruit + 1 chobani greek yogurt + 1 cup or more of coconut water to juice it up a little bit. DELISH, healthy, and plenty of protein. Whey protein supposedly helps your vascular system do a more efficient job of soaking in extra bodily fluids when needed. 

I took lots of deep breaths during the day. I could feel the fluid in my stomach and it was a little bit painful to take a big deep breath, but the big breaths helped push the fluid down. 

I ate salty soups, like Pho Vietnamese noodle soup, following ER. 

I was able to avoid OHSS for both ERs. Good luck to you! 
    | Married since 2008 | DH and I: Both 30 | Me: Endometriosis and Carrier of an X-Linked Dominant Genetic Disorder | DH: Low Morph | Planning IVF with PGD and PGS in 2013 | Freeze-All IVF #1: March 2013 ER 3/26. 29R, 12M, 11F. 4 5AA frozen blasts. Freeze-All IVF#2: May 2013 ER 5/15. 31R, 21M, 20F. 6 5AA frozen blasts. Our PGD probe was completed in late June (total of 20 weeks to develop). PGD and PGS Results came on 6/19: 3 healthy embryos (normal chromosomes and unaffected by my family's genetic disorder). FET #1: July 2013 Natural Cycle - Cancelled due to insufficient lining (only got to 7.5mm). FET #1.2: August 2013 - Medicated Cycle with Lupron & Estrogen Patches to build up lining. Single embryo transfer was 8/23. Beta #1: 240! Beta #2: 578! U/S on 9/19 at 6w4d: We saw the heart beating at 131bpm. Second U/S on 10/4 at 8w5d: We saw the heart beating at 178bpm. EDD 5/11/2014
    PAIF/SAIF/Everyone Welcome! 

• Sig warning again...sorry. 

Oh, and on gatorade vs. coconut water: personally, I would stay away from Gatorade...but I tend to avoid those kinds of fluids. As I said above, I stopped drinking water as a fluid leading up to ER, so only gatorade for a week would have made me feel awful. I enjoyed RW Knudsen's Recharge and Coconut water is much healthier for you than Gatorade. I kept thinking positive like that the eggs they were getting should get good fluid nutrition...so it just felt better to me to avoid the junky stuff in Gatorade. There are even recipes online of natural electrolyte drinks you can make yourself at home with some honey, salt, and juice. I say, go for whatever makes you feel best! :) 
    | Married since 2008 | DH and I: Both 30 | Me: Endometriosis and Carrier of an X-Linked Dominant Genetic Disorder | DH: Low Morph | Planning IVF with PGD and PGS in 2013 | Freeze-All IVF #1: March 2013 ER 3/26. 29R, 12M, 11F. 4 5AA frozen blasts. Freeze-All IVF#2: May 2013 ER 5/15. 31R, 21M, 20F. 6 5AA frozen blasts. Our PGD probe was completed in late June (total of 20 weeks to develop). PGD and PGS Results came on 6/19: 3 healthy embryos (normal chromosomes and unaffected by my family's genetic disorder). FET #1: July 2013 Natural Cycle - Cancelled due to insufficient lining (only got to 7.5mm). FET #1.2: August 2013 - Medicated Cycle with Lupron & Estrogen Patches to build up lining. Single embryo transfer was 8/23. Beta #1: 240! Beta #2: 578! U/S on 9/19 at 6w4d: We saw the heart beating at 131bpm. Second U/S on 10/4 at 8w5d: We saw the heart beating at 178bpm. EDD 5/11/2014
    PAIF/SAIF/Everyone Welcome! 

• I started my high protein, all electrolyte drinks, high salt diet when I started stimming. I still got moderate OHSS and my estrogen wasn't that high. I was late-onset as it showed around the time the embryo implanted.

I just don't know if it can be helped. Maybe if I hadn't of started early, I would have been severe OHSS. It's hard to say. Once I had symptoms,  I do think that when I ate more high protein, I felt better. If I drank ANY water, I felt worse.

• My Dr. said HIGH salt and protein. They said I could drink vitamin water instead of gatorade for electrolytes bc I hate gatorade. My Dr. said to eat "five guys and chinese food." It was amazing! 
    ***Siggy****
    imageimage
    Me: 32 - PCOS, Hypothyroid 
    Hubs: 31 - low everything

TTC since Jan 2013
    May 2013 - HSG, all clear
    Aug 2013 - Hubs varicocele procedure, both sides 

Dec 2013 IVF #1: 24 retrieved, 20 fertilized, 7 made it to D5; OHSS
    1.27.14: FET; 2 D5
    Betas: 2.6.14 - 689; 2.8.14 - 2400; 2.15.14 - 37,7000
    Ultrasound: 2.15.14 - Twins! 

PAIF/SAIF welcome

• Thank you all so much!  Totally helps hearing everyone else's experiences. I have to say the protein shakes and protein bars I tried so far are NOT good.....Ugh!!!!  But I will plug my nose and swallow them down if it will help :)

@LSN8308 thanks for the fiber reminder....I normally am an Apple a day girl and love my veggies but I am so focused on protein right now that I kinda forgot about getting that in. 

@RosyGlow thanks for the recipe for the shake that is awesome!

@CameraBug131 you just made DH a happy man with the five guys comment....I've refused to eat it for a while now just trying to be healthier. 

@herecomesthesun did you have any early onset OHSS? I asked a little about whether or not you can get late onset without having early onset and I got the impression it wasn't likely to get late if you don't get early.  

TTC since May 2011 
    Break for cysts 
    Break for cysts 
    All welcome!

• BRaven985 said:

@herecomesthesun did you have any early onset OHSS? I asked a little about whether or not you can get late onset without having early onset and I got the impression it wasn't likely to get late if you don't get early.  

Nope. None. I felt 100% fine until what was probably implantation. (5 days after transfer) 

Try Core Power Protein shakes (it's with the gatorade and muscle milk in the grocery store) they do not have the awful taste a lot of them have. I like the chocolate and the vanilla best. The other flavors are too sweet.
  • Just adding in-a protein shake brand that I like is Designer Whey from Trader Joes. It's lots of protein but very little carbs. I get the chocolate and mix it with almond milk. GL!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary

TTC since 2008
    Dh:34, no issues.  Me:31, Endo, slightly hypothyroid, deformed ovary, paracentric inversion.
    4 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone +TI cycles= all BFN
    Lap in 2012 to remove large unresolving cyst discovered endo and double lobed ovary.
     6 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone IUI cycles= All BFN,
    1st IVF w/ICSI- June '13 Antagonist: Gonal-F, Menopur, Ganirelix, HcG, Estradiol, Crinone= 7 retrieved, 4 mature, 1 unfertilized, 2 abnormally fertilized, 1 normally fertilized.  2DT of only embryo and our miracle BFP.
    Our beloved baby boy was born sleeping Oct. 13, 2013 due to pROM/IC/Uterine infection.
    2nd IVF w/ICSI- Feb. '14 EPP/lupron/antagonist: Estrace, lupron, HGH, Gonal-F, Menopur, HcG, PIO, lovenox, doxy/dex.=21 retrieved, 16 mature, 15 fertilized!!  5dt of 1 blast/ 6 frozen. BFP!  Beta 1 9dp5dt:83.9  Beta 2: 11dp5dt: 145.2  Beta 3  14dp5dt: 497  Please be our sticky rainbow baby!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

imageimage
  • As far as late vs. early onset goes, I didn't get any OHSS symptoms until 4 days after ER.
    TTC since May 2012
    Me: 32 H: 31
    DX: MFI-Very Low Count, I have Hashimotos.
    IVF prep September 2013 cancelled due to Ovarian Cyst
    IVF #1 October 2013 Antagonistic Protocol with ICSI  ER 10/31/13 (18R 16M 11F- 6 blasts to freeze)
    ET delayed due to OHSS 
    FET scheduled for July 8. Delayed due to a crazy high TSH (it had been under control for YEARS!)
    FET #1 8/5/14 sET BFN 

All welcome!
  • Thanks for the insight on getting late onset without any signs of early.  I am supposed to do a freeze all...but wanted to be prepared in case things actually went well enough for them to consider suggesting a fresh transfer.  We'll see....
    TTC since May 2011 
    Break for cysts 
    Break for cysts 
    All welcome!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"