Military Families

Moving To San Antonio (Lackland)

My husband and I are moving to San Antonio less than 3 months before my due date.  He will be stationed at Lackland AFB (although he's USCG not AF)  I have no clue what the MTF situation is out there!  Here in Virginia we're on Tricare Prime and I'm getting care at the Naval Hospital.  Is there an AF hospital associated with Lackland?  Will I have to be seen out in town?  I'm worried about making the transition smoothly so late in my pregnancy... especially if I need to see a civilian doc.  I know a lot won't even take you on as a patient if you're past 28-30 weeks, but I don't really have a choice in the matter, we go where they tell us when they tell us.  Any advice?

Re: Moving To San Antonio (Lackland)

• We are at Laughlin, which is 150 west of San Antonio. Due the size of our base and town, a lot of our medical treatment is in San Antonio. There used to be OB at wilford hall on lackland, but now it is at Brooke Army Medical Center. Not too far and from what I have heard, a really great place to deliver. Good luck!
  • Hi! My H is at Randolph, which is in SA, on the other side of town from Lackland. You'll most probably be seen at San Antonio Military Medical Center, also known as Brooke Army Medical Center (SAMMC/BAMC) which is located kind of in the middle of town on Ft. Sam Houston. I've been to both their OB and GYN there, and it's really wonderful. I've had great care there and they've always been really willing to talk me through things. I also have friends who have delivered there and they had really good experiences. It's one of the best MTFs around, it's a reason why a lot of retired military retire here. I will say that traffic here can make it a bit of a drive, but it's not too bad if you can get in not at rush hour. Traffic and interstates/highways in SA are a pretty interesting experience. The best way to describe SA is that it's like a bunch of small towns. It's a big city, but really spread out. Once you're here, you find the places you go and your zone, but it's possible to live here and only visit some parts of the city rarely or not at all and have no idea where you are. We originally lived north/central and now live on the northeast border of the city, and I've only been to Lackland twice, so I don't really know that much about that side of town. It's a fun town though, but I hate you'll be moving here in the summer, it's crazy amounts of hot, enjoy your a/c! Page or pm me if you need any info that I might be able to know or find out.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My DH is stationed at Lackland for right now, we're PCSing to Alaska in May. :) You can be seen at OB/GYN at Wilford Hall, but cannot deliver there. I opted to just be seen at SAMMC, though. It is a little bit of a jaunt, but not that bad. In fact, we see a little less traffic on this side of town. 
    And, in my experience, I would definitely stay away from the immediate area around Lackland. We live about 5 miles away, and while it was nice the first couple years, the last 2 years it's gotten worse. I would go more towards the Sea World or Alamo Ranch area. :)
    I, too, feel bad that you'll be moving here in the summer, it gets a wee warm here. 
    Good luck with your PCS, I hope it goes as smoothly as possible. And, like PP, if you have more questions, you can PM me and I'll help anyway I can. 

• Based on what others are posting, Wilford Hall must have changed since I was stationed there. My friend delivered at Wilford Hall but that was over a decade ago. It is a training hospital so there were lots of, um, witnesses to her birth lol. Enjoy San Antonio! I miss it and wish I could get a TDY there.

Saltgrass Steakhouse for your steak cravings... Just sayin'!

image  image
    Baby GIRL born June 12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"