Cincinnati Babies
Options

Thoughts for my family, please

I am so sad for my family. My father has worked the same manager job since pretty much the day he graduated college for a major trucking company. He was planning to retire next year after 33 years there and got notice yesterday afternoon that if he doesn't retire in four weeks, they will cut his pension in half, and that the pension won't be guaranteed if the economy causes the company to downsize or file for bankruptcy.

I know it could be much worse, but it was so sad to see him get this letter in the mail. He has given his whole adult life to this company and was really looking forward to retiring on his own terms and then taking a lighter job. Now he's going to have to find another full-time job and, as we all know, the economy is awful. I hate the thought of him going out there and interviewing and possibly being rejected, or being put in a position where they ignore all the managerial experience he has and make him an underling, you know?

My mom is stressed out to the max right now. They are looking at my father's income essentially being gone in four weeks if he can't find another job right away. His income supports their mortgage and their lifestyle, and her job is just a small office job. Thank god she recently upped her hours and got health insurance. Still, she is really stressed on how they are going to make the bills-- mortgage, car, etc. 

I know so many people have it much worse in this economy, but we've always relied on my dad's company because they've been so good to him for so many years. We just never thought it would affect us because his job is essentially recession-proof, or so we thought. It is so hard to see my dad so beaten down by this because he's always been such a strong "I'll take care of it" presence. They didn't even have the courage to tell it to his face, they had to mail him a letter over what they knew was his Christmas break.

I know our crappy economy has us thinking of a lot of people, but if you've got any good thoughts or prayers left, my family could use some strength right now as they sort of start all over again. Sorry this is so long-- DH is sick with the flu and I can't vent to him!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Thoughts for my family, please

• Options

That is so crappy... I'm so sorry.  So much for employee loyalty :( Hugs and good thoughts to your parents.

Hannah

• Options
    How horrible.  I'm so sorry to hear that. It's really hard to see our parents in difficult situations like that.  I hope things take a turn for the better for them soon.
    image Ready to rumble.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for your dad.  I have a lot of family in Wilmington going through the same thing with DHL right now and it's just so scary.  There really isn't any loyalty to employees anymore.  I'll say a prayer that your dad ends up finding a job he likes even more.
  • Options
    I'm really sorry that is happening to your parents, it totally sucks. I hope things work out for them and that you don't get too stressed out worrying about them.
  • Options
    That sucks. Hopefully he will be able to find something soon. I will say a prayer for your family tonight.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Katie: 1/16/08 2lbs. 15oz.
    Abby & Emily: 12/31/10 6lbs. 2oz. & 5lbs. 7oz.
  • Options
    That really stinks.  I hate how companies do that to loyal employees in the name of saving a buck.  I really think those companies believe that the employees they offer (or push into) early retirement actually welcome it.  I don't think they are looking at the big picture with the economy the way it is.  At least they told him ahead of time instead of sending a memo that retirement benefits were being cut effective immediately.  I know some companies are doing it without warning right now.  I will keep your family in my prayers.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

I am sorry.  I was recently laid off after 7 years with the same employer.  I know that doesn't even compare to 33 but what sucks is that there is no loyalty anymore.  I love the days when the company you started with is the company you ended with.  It really sucks.  I couldn't imagine how hard this is for your family.  We are struggling and I still get upset about my layoff. My job essentially went over to India (I was a software developer). 

I hope he finds something soon as unemployment is almost laughable.

• Options

Oh, that just stinks!!!  I remember feeling very similar to you when my Dad was laid off in 2002 after 26 years with the same company.  They eliminated his position.  While they gave him a nice severance, he never did find another job similar to the one he had.  However, I will tell you that my dad did find another job in a different field, and I have never seen him happier despite not making as much money.  He was 49 when he was laid off, and the time off enabled him to lose a bunch of weight, get his health in order, and find himself.  Granted, those were different economic times, but I honestly think that it happened for a reason and he is now better off than he was before. 

I hope he finds something soon!  The good news is that companies do hire people in January... and hopefully that will help.  ** praying for a positive outcome **

• Options
    I am sorry to hear that your parents are going through this! I will keep your family in my thoughts for a positive outcome!
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies. I know we'll get through it but setbacks are always hard to watch when it's your parents and you know how much they've given up for you!
  • Options
    I am so sorry to hear this, that really sucks.  Hopefully everything will work out soon, stay strong!
  • Options
    That is horrible! Your dad & your family will definitely be in my prayers.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry to hear that.  It makes me sick thinking about people working so hard their whole lives only to be screwed over.  My thoughts are with your family.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    That's horrible, especially since he has been there for so long. ?I'll keep you guys in our thoughts and prayers. ?
  • Options
    That's just awful. Hopefully he finds something quickly.

Photo by Melissa Nicole Photography

imageimage
  • Options
    Sorry your family is going through this!  You are all in my thoughts & prayers.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"