2nd Trimester

How do you fall back asleep?

I am having a hard time sleeping through the night.  I fall asleep around 10 and am up at least once during the night.  Then I have an impossible time falling back asleep, mostly because I have a hard time getting comfy.  Any suggestions? TY!

Re: How do you fall back asleep?

• Great question...I am having the same issue.  I usually get back to sleep after a trip to the restroom, a drink of water, flipping sides and propping up pillows around me in a nest-like fashion.  Would love to hear what others do, though...

• I have had this problem with both of my pregnancies.  I dont think it's about comfort for me, just a weird tendency to wake up after going to the bathroom.  The only thing I've found to help is to get to the bathroom quickly (rather than laying there avoiding it like I often do), not turn any lights on, and try to essentially not get out of my sleepy state.  Not much help, but it improved when I put a night light in the bathroom.  FYI, I often had a similar issue after getting up with baby in the night - also would try to stay as sleepy as possible!  
  • Loading the player...
  • As PP said, I try not to wake up too much when I do get up in the night.  It's usually just to pee, so I keep lights off, don't even bother flushing the toilet and try to get back in bed as fast as possible.  It usually depends on what time it is, too.  If I'm up between midnight and 3:30 am, no problem because I'm up at 5:30am for work and that's plenty of time to get back to sleep and feel like I get good sleep.  If it's after 3:30 it is tougher because I know I have to be up in less than 2 hours (weekdays at least...weekends DS sleeps until about 7 so that's easier).
  • TeacherVickyTeacherVicky member
    edited January 2014
    I would love to just wake up once. I've been waking multiple times since about 15w.

When I can't get back to sleep right away, I sometimes get up and have a little snack. That usually helps.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• I was having this issue every night then I purchased a body pillow. I still wake up but I have found that if I just readjust the body pillow and I'm back out in a few mins.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 

Oct 16/13. BFP @ 11 dpo

Oct 21/13. Beta 360 @ 16 dpo

Oct 23/13. Beta 749 @ 18 dpo

Nov 24/13. Saw HB (141bpm) & baby wiggle around via ultrasound @ 9w5d due date changed to June 23!!

Dec 6/13. Heard HB (122bpm) via Doppler at OB @ 11w3d

Jan 9/14. Heard HB (124bpm) via Doppler at OB @ 16w3d irregular beat

Jan 29/14. DH felt kicks for first time @ 19w3d

Feb 2/14. Saw baby via ultrasound (quick scan in ER) @ 19w6d

Feb 6/14. Heard HB (126-134bpm) via Doppler @ 20w3d normal beat

Feb 15/14. AS - baby looked great (measured 1w small) and would NOT let us see sex! @ 21w5d 

Feb 20/14  3D US - its a GIRL!!!!! @ 22w3d

Feb 27/14. Repeat AS for more pics, HB 124bpm  @ 23w3d

Mar 6/14. Heard HB (130bpm) via Doppler @ 24w3d

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers  

• Similar advice to others- keep it dark, try to get back into the bed as soon as possible. 

When I'm stuck awake and I'm just not able to drop off easily I put on a guided meditation on my phone, pop one earbud in (so it doesn't wake DH) and listen to the nice lady tell me to focus on my breathing, let out my tension, and let everything go. The one I listen to lasts 13min and I'm almost always out cold by the end of it.
    Friends for 17 years. Married 10. TTC since Jan 2009.
    3 IVFs, 4 FETs, 11 transferred embryos, 3 losses (c/p, 6w, 17w)
    2012: Lost "Peanut" at 17weeks to PTL/IC.
     Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    2013: IVF#3/FET#4  Elisabeth CJ born April 30, 2014
    Cerclage, P17, and 3 months of bed rest brought us our Rainbow.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
     Dum spiro, spero.
  • Thanks ladies!  Great advice!

• I've been getting up at least twice a night to pee and now my 4yr old is having a hard time with nightmares and not sleeping so I haven't been sleeping at all. I go to bed at 8pm (literally) and he is usually up by 12 and then again at 2 and up for the days at 6. I find my self laying there and my mind is racing so I put the TV on and it helps put me back to sleep.
    IAmPregnant Ticker

• Benadryl. If I don't take it I'm guaranteed to wake up and stay awake for hours. That doesn't work since I wake up for work at five. My OB said it was fine to take every night.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"