2nd Trimester

Compression Hose

I have a family history of blood clots in pregnancy from my grandmother to mother to my sister - sisters developed into a bilateral pulmonary embolism. (She's ok). Because of this my doctor told me to take a baby aspirin a day. And I also have to wear thigh high compression hose. This is going to suck - but I know it's the best thing to do to prevent blood clots. Anyone else have to do this? Ive been tested for everything & everything came back negative - then again so was my sister ... Very very very odd. My Mom had a blood clot in her pelvis area with her first child at 7 months.

Re: Compression Hose

• I have to go pick mine up at the end of the week.  I have varicose veins and am also on aspirin. I don't like the idea, but will do what i need to do to try to stay as safe as possible.

BabyFruit Ticker

image     image

• I'm the same as you. When the dr told me I needed to do this i was so upset. But like you said need to stay safe. Do you have to wear yours all the time? She acted like she wanted me to. I can't imagine wearing hose even to bed for 6 months! Or maybe even longer depending on how long I need to wear them after the baby is born.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a PE two years ago and am now considered high risk, also tested positive for Factor V Leiden (heterozygous).  I am on injections of Lovenox and I occassionally wear my compression stockings.  I must admit, as I am growing I notice a little more swelling so I will most likely be more diligent about wearing them.  Medical grade compression stockings, if properly fitted, are actually super comfortable.  I enjoy wearing mine.

• I was tested for factor V also. I tested negative. BUT my sister had a PE & also tested negative for it. Who knows we probably have some weird family blood clotting gene that hasn't been discovered yet! Hah.

Oh mine are so uncomfortable so mine must not be fitted right. Do you just wear yours during the day?
  • I only wear mine during the day.  I do not think they are necessary while sleeping because my feet are elevated and blood is not pooling in my legs.  Keep trying out different types until you find some that you like.  You deserve to be comfortable!

• Did they measure you?  They should atleast take calf measurements to ensure you have the correct size.

• The lady did. It was just at a pharmacy. And then she gave me the box according to my measurements. It wasn't custom fit or anything. Maybe I'm just a big ole baby because they hurt to me.
  • If you have a medical equipment store in your neighborhood, check them out.  They have a really big selection and their staff hooked me up with some comfy stockings.  I need to get new ones this week, since mine are almost 2 years old.  Hoping I get comfortable ones again because I am a big baby when it comes to not being comfortable :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"