March 2014 Moms
Options

Induction vs C-Section

For medical reasons, chances are very high that I will deliver at or before 39 weeks, regardless of what baby/my body decide they want to do re: going into labor unassisted.

When I talked about my concern with going early, since being a FTM chances are good my cervix won't be "ripe" that early, my OB mentioned that if I would prefer a CS when the time comes we can talk about it.  My question is: Has anyone else considered what they'd do given the choice between early induction (presuming you're not in labor at all - starting from zero) and CS?  I hear so much anecdotally about people who go through a long painful induction only to end up with a CS anyway - but I also would certainly prefer to avoid surgery if I can.

If anyone has 

Re: Induction vs C-Section

• Options
    I would want to try the induction first. Will it be an emergency? Do they have to jump straight to pitocin?

I will say that I had a long difficult labor followed by a c-section that was very simple. I had an easier recovery than most and went home in 48 hours. I know you often hear the opposite so I thought I would share my anecdote. :)
  • Options
    YankeePeach08YankeePeach08 member
    edited December 2013
    My body was not ready for an induction, I didn't even have cervidil the night before.
    I had DS 18 hours after my induction started and have no regrets about the experience.

I had no intentions of going med free, I opted for an epi when the contractions got painful.
    Even though progress was slow my OB never once pushed me toward a CS, the nurse suggested it, I was opposed and the OB said "I'm here all night, call me when she is ready to push"

Personally I will do everything in my power to avoid a CS b/c I'm scared of the recovery (especially while caring for NB twins). I'm sure there are women who have had a CS who will say it wasn't that bad and recovery wasn't bad either.

ETA: I was never in sever pain. I hear so many negative things about "pitocin contractions", well I had nothing to compare them to and I got an epi so it didn't bother me.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic&nImage and video hosting by TinyPic bsp;center;"
    >Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had an induction that ended in a c-section.  They used cervix ripening thing (I can't remember what it was called) and then pit, and I did progress all the way to 10cm and was able to push for an hour and a half before needing the c-section.  So it is possible to fully progress even if you're body isn't ready for it naturally.  Mine ended in a c-section because my kid was too big, facing the wrong way, and soem fetal distress -  he wouldn't have come out that way, ripe cervix or not.  It was a long arduous ordeal, but in hindsight, I still wouldn't have skipped it all and gone right to the c-section for that first labor.  I'm glad that I got to experience some of those typical childbirth experiences even if it didn't end in a delivery.  And I'd be sad that I would have missed out on the opportunity to try and not know whether maybe it could have been successful.  With that said...once was enough, and I'm having a scheduled c-section this time!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Different people respond different to induction. Although I didn't go very early... 39 weeks 6 days for my induction, my experience was positive and not that terrible.

I would rather try and avoid a c-section if at all possible, but have had friends that haven't minded the recovery.

To each their own....
    imageimageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • Options
    I had an induction that ended in a c-section. I wasn't happy about it at the time because in my opinion an induction wasn't really needed, but I healed up well and ended up with a healthy baby. I'll be having a c-section again this time.
  • Options
    I had an induction that ended up with a c/s and my 2nd pregnancy was a RCS after no progress at 42 weeks. The recovery was much easier with the RCS with no labor, I won't lie, but I am still glad I tried the induction, even though it failed. Having to fight tooth and nail for a VBAC with #2 and again trying this time around with #3, at least I can know I tried my best to have a vaginal birth, even though it resulted in a c/s. And for some people, induction does work. Yes, there's definitely a huge percentage that end up in c/s, but you could be one that is successful. And frankly, although my c/s weren't horrific, they were very painful and recovery was long and I'd do anything I could to avoid one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'd say go for the induction! I had a failed induction even overdue, and I still say it's worth a try!
    BFP#1 11/10* DS Born via Cesarean 7/11* BFP#2 EDD 1/31/14 *M/C 6/13* BFP #3 RCS 3/14/14
    Brothers!
    "I wish that I could bake a cake, made out of rainbows and smiles. And we would all eat it and be happy." 
  • Options
    I would see how things go for you as you get closer to 39 weeks... whether you are dilating or having contractions.  If you get cervical checks, your doctor will probably be able to give you an idea about how the induction might go and whether it might end up in a c-section either way.   

Personally, I never dilated even after I started having contractions on my own, and my doctor was correct in his guess that I wouldn't end up delivering vaginally.  I could have avoided 2 very long days of awful contractions if I'd just gone with a scheduled c-section.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    There are many health benefits to a vaginal delivery. I would definitely try induction. If the baby is OK there is nothing medically wrong with a longer labor.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    While you're at a higher risk for a c-section being induced as a FTM, I'd still want to go that route than straight to a c-section.  I feel like I've heard the chances are like 30% higher, which is high but it's not like it's a 90% chance.  I'd take those odds :)

There is also some evidence showing that laboring makes for a better outcome for the baby, something about the hormones you release getting the baby a bit more "ready" for the outside.  
    imageimage 
  • Options
    Lots of good thoughts to consider - thanks all for sharing!
  • Options
    I'd go for the induction. Mine was a surprise induction for high blood pressure at 40w. I had been at 1cm since 32w and was given cyotec to help my cervix get ready before they did pit. From cyotec insert to baby being here was 20 hours of labor including 3 hours of pushing that I wouldn't change for anything.
    Married - 5/2008
    DS #1 - Born 9/2011
    DS #2 - EDD 3/2014
  • Options
    I was induced at 39.1 for low fluid. From the start of pitocin to baby was 12 hours. They warned me that a c-section was possible. My body did start to stall out towards the middle, but I was able to take a nap after the epi and when I woke everything was moving along again. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I had C section after being induced. I was only 2cm when I was induced, they did it because my BP had gotten a little high. I just never progressed past 7cm and it had been hours. After a half working epidural and needing a second one I just decided to be done and have surgery. They would have let me go longer but I didn't see a point My baby also weighed in at 9lbs 13oz so who knows if I would have gotten her out anyway. I was exhausted. I would take a vaginal delivery over surgery though. Recovery time sucks.
  • Options
    I was induced (just with gel) on my due date due to GD and I went into labour straight away- and had DS within 8 hrs. It was so much better than my first delivery- i went naturally at 40w 5 days and it went FOREVER!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"