Baby Names
Options

Is Cedar too weird?

brownmousebrownmouse member
edited December 2013 in Baby Names
Like the title says, is Cedar for a boy too weird? I mean, I already have a girl Basil (Bay-zil), so I am used to comments about my naming style. I find myself really drawn to Cedar, but can't tell if it's crossing the "guilty pleasure" line a little too far. Bring me down, people! Hahahaha!

And other names I like are Olive, and Violet, so I am not afraid of the plant/nature theme. It's really just that Cedar might be a little too out there...
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Is Cedar too weird?

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Cedar is all girl to me. 

ETA:  As a name on a girl, I absolutely think it's TOPS!! :) 
    Prudence
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    IrishcurlsIrishcurls member
    edited December 2013
    As a name I actually like it. Knowing your LN (or pretty sure anyway ;) ) sways it a touch weird for me. Though Violet is like that too and it doesn't bug me at all. I don't knoww, nature names are my weakness. I think it could work. I'm no help. 
      It's a girl!! EDD 2/28/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't care for it and would assume boy actually!

I love Sage though!
    BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I think I like it!

Birch is my favorite nature name for a boy but it is a little close to bitch lol.

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• Options
    It would be weird if your DD was Elizabeth but with Basil I like it. It sounds like it fits your style.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I like it. It's not exactly my style but it could definitely work.

• Options
    No, Cedar on a boy isn't too weird. But I live in Portlandia, so take my opinion with that in mind. ;)
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    It is really NMS but in a sib set with Basil it seems great to me.
    Anniversary
    Love: March 2010  Marriage: July 2013  Debt Free: October 2014  TTC: April 2015
     BFP: April 10, 2016 EDD: December 19, 2016 Team Blue!
    Oscar born November 20, 2016 at 35w6d

• Options
    Too weird for my tastes. It makes me think of the bird- cedar waxwing.

Mommy to three beautiful boys! 
    Benjamin Michael 5/17/10
    Lucas Gabriel 3/26/12
    Graham Jonathan 5/1/14

• Options
    At first I thought, yea that could work. But the more I think about it the less I like it. It might be the matchy thing, but the other nature names you like appeal to me. I'm eh...
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Too strange for me, but I'm a classic name kind of girl. :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    queenbone said:
    No, Cedar on a boy isn't too weird. But I live in Portlandia, so take my opinion with that in mind. ;)
    Oh howdy neighbor! Portlandia here too! I've met kids named Maverick, Banjo and Rhythm. Hahaha! Nothing is too weird when you live in Portland! ;)

• Options
    I think it's fine. I agree with the PP who said that if you had a second child and named it something mainstream and boring it would be far weirder. Basil and Chloe? Basil and Josh? That's silly. :p
    See, this is my issue now with "normal" names... Alot of the boys names I like are far too normal to go with Basil and it ends up sounding weird. Haha! We like Jasper and August for boys too, which are a little "strange" to go with Basil but a bit more normal than Cedar, but I find myself really digging Cedar!

• Options
    queenbone said:
    Oh howdy neighbor! Portlandia here too! I've met kids named Maverick, Banjo and Rhythm. Hahaha! Nothing is too weird when you live in Portland! ;)
    Are you? I had no idea! I hear Cedar often enough that your son shouldn't have any problems. Once at the Sunnyside Environmental school play ground I heard a mom call out for her son Nehalem, so yeah, Cedar is nothing.
    Married 9-4-04

• Options
    Too weird for me.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• Options
    I think it's fine. I agree with the PP who said that if you had a second child and named it something mainstream and boring it would be far weirder. Basil and Chloe? Basil and Josh? That's silly. :p
    See, this is my issue now with "normal" names... Alot of the boys names I like are far too normal to go with Basil and it ends up sounding weird. Haha! We like Jasper and August for boys too, which are a little "strange" to go with Basil but a bit more normal than Cedar, but I find myself really digging Cedar!
    I don't think Jasper is weird with Basil. I grew up with an Amber who had an older brother Jasper so it is totally nature-y to me.
    Married 9-4-04

• Options
    queenbone said:
    queenbone said:
    Are you? I had no idea! I hear Cedar often enough that your son shouldn't have any problems. Once at the Sunnyside Environmental school play ground I heard a mom call out for her son Nehalem, so yeah, Cedar is nothing.
    RIGHT? Back home (Arizona) people think I am so weird for naming DD Basil, but I'm just sitting her thinking about all the other kids I've met around here that have far weirder names. Haha! What is weird somewhere else is often considered totally normal in Portland. ;)

I've actually never met a kid named Cedar, but I've heard pretty much every other nature name shouted on the playground. I am just waiting to meet a little girl named Chrysanthemum like the book. Hahaha!

Nehalem! Like the bay! That is one I havn't heard. But I can see why you heard it at Sunnyside playground! Haha!

• Options
    queenbone said:
    queenbone said:
    RIGHT? Back home (Arizona) people think I am so weird for naming DD Basil, but I'm just sitting her thinking about all the other kids I've met around here that have far weirder names. Haha! What is weird somewhere else is often considered totally normal in Portland. ;)

I've actually never met a kid named Cedar, but I've heard pretty much every other nature name shouted on the playground. I am just waiting to meet a little girl named Chrysanthemum like the book. Hahaha!

Nehalem! Like the bay! That is one I havn't heard. But I can see why you heard it at Sunnyside playground! Haha!
    Have you ever been to Cafe au Play? Because there was a little girl named Basil there once. I kept listening in to see if I was mishearing Hazel, but it was definitely Basil. :)
    Married 9-4-04

• Options
    bromios said:
    But when he's 40 (or at most other times in his life), he won't be introducing himself as "Cedar, brother of older sister Basil." He'll just be that dude named after a fragrant tree.

Obviously. But sibling sets exist past infancy. My brother and I are in our thirties and my parents still get asked about Myname and Hisname, or write about us in their Christmas card. Anyone who knows me past acquaintances knows my brothers name. And if your theory applied, all the other sibling sets "no-no"s like matching letters etc wouldn't be an issue either.
    I get that he won't be a "sib-set" forever (though he would, just not referred to as often) which is why I am trying to decide if Cedar is too strange. I don't see how being named after a fragrant tree is a bad thing when people name their kids things like Gideon (which meas warrior) and Caden (which means fighter). I'd rather be named after a tree than after an event in which people die, or something that means violence. Maybe that is just me though....

• Options
    queenbone said:
    queenbone said:
    queenbone said:

Have you ever been to Cafe au Play? Because there was a little girl named Basil there once. I kept listening in to see if I was mishearing Hazel, but it was definitely Basil. :)
    We actually have no been there yet, though I have been meaning to check it out. We actually met another little girl named Basil not too long ago at the library. She was like 2 and a a half. Which is amazing because there have only been like 30 girls named Basil in the entire US in the past five years.  :) Of course two of them would be in Portland though!

People pretty much always think they are mis-hearing Hazel. Basil has learned to correct them herself. She loves her name. :)

• Options
    Joy2611 said:
    Huh.  I guess I'm an oddball all over today.

I think picking another out there nature name would just be too much with a sister named Basil.  I think picking a more mainstream name makes more sense.  Basil and Jasper is adorable.  Basil and Cedar is over the edge.

I'll sit over here on my weird bench.  It's swirly and colorful - like a Dr. Seuss book.
    I like your weird bench. :)

This is why we are looking at boys names now even though were have only been TTC for 6 months (ish) because we are so torn on how we feel about boys names. I actually like a lot of "normal" boys names, but they feel strange with Basil, but then, a second "strange" names feels weird too.

At this point I'll just hope I have a girl because girl names are SO much easier. :)

• Options

We actually have no been there yet, though I have been meaning to check it out. We actually met another little girl named Basil not too long ago at the library. She was like 2 and a a half. Which is amazing because there have only been like 30 girls named Basil in the entire US in the past five years.  :) Of course two of them would be in Portland though!

People pretty much always think they are mis-hearing Hazel. Basil has learned to correct them herself. She loves her name. :)
    Well, if that wasn't you I ran into, then that brings the Portland Basil count up to 3!
    Married 9-4-04

• Options
    I have a friend who's daughter is Cedar, so it seems feminine to me.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    That being said, I have another friend of a friend that has a little boy named Basil. So no big deal. If it's your style, go for it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    No...just no.
    image     image

image    image

• Options
    I actually think it's kind of cute for a boy.  A little out there but not too much. 

• Options
    Dont like it at all.Sorry
  • Options
    It's weird but not "Rainbow" weird. if you love it, go for it but if you are on the fence then get back to the drawing board.
  • Options
    Sorry, not a fan
  • Options
    Yes, too out there.
  • Options
    I'm on @Joy2611's weird bench.

I don't believe in stressing over the perfectly paired but non matching/themed sibset, but I do think how a name works with siblings and how it works on its own are both valid considerations.

Noun names are not my style, even the mainstream ones, so it was easy for me to see this and think "no." But I tried to stay open minded as I was reading the posts. I think Basil and Cedar as a sibset is too much, but Jasper and Basil works. Thinking of it on its own, Cedar feels a bit feminine to me, so I think it'd be easier for me to be open minded to it on a girl than a boy.

I think the fact you had to ask shows even with your Basil-style you're on the fence so you will likely continue to think of other ideas regardless of what I write ;)
  • Options
    I think of it as a boy name and I like it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"