Breastfeeding and conceiving second baby — The Bump
Breastfeeding

Breastfeeding and conceiving second baby

Hi ladies. I have a 19 month old DS and have been trying to get pregnant again starting about 9 months ago. My AF returned after DS was was only six weeks old and I've had it ever since. It's fairly regular but most cycles are about 30 days. We recently night weaned about a month ago to see if this might help in becoming pregnant again. DS still nurses 2-4 times per day, but not at all between 6:30pm and 7 am or later. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I am wondering the night weaning will lead to complete weaning as my milk supply seems to have dropped off a lot. And if so does the weaning cause fluctuations in my cycle too with all the hormone changes?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Breastfeeding and conceiving second baby

• I second the charting tip - that way you can get more info regarding what is going on exactly.  Whether you are ovulating and when and how long your luteal phase is - while breastfeeding, the second part of your cycle can be shorter and sometimes too short to sustain a pregnancy (so I've read)...

If your son is still nursing 2-4 times a day I don't think your milk will just dry up.  At this point (19 months) you may not be able to tell how much milk you have but if he is still nursing he is probably getting what he wants.  Toddlers are really efficient at getting what bit (if any) is in there.

"Taking Charge of your Fertility" by Toni Weschler is a great resource to learn about charting, although there isn't too much in there about breastfeeding and fertility, there is a little bit of info.  Good luck!  
    ? J + J = 5/29/10.?
    TTC since 8/2010. Irregular cycles after stopping BCP.
    1st BFP! 3/26/11. Missed M/C - D&C 5/2/11.
    Always missed: Our little Blueberry. It's Never Over.
    2nd BFP! 9/3/11 on last unmedicated cycle! EDD: 5/11/12
    1stBeta @13DPO = 289, 2ndBeta @15DPO = 619!
    ? Clementine Lorraine, we love you so much already! ?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards