July 2013 Moms

Posture in exersaucer?

Do other LOs seem to lean forward (on their chests/stomachs) when using their exersaucers? DS is a pretty small late July baby and is pretty good at sitting up with support - but he always seems to be tilted forward in the saucer (never back).

We got the saucer at a yard sale and its been through quite a few babies so I'm wondering if DS' posture is normal for this stage or if the exersaucer/seat is too worn and needs to be replaced.

Tia!

Re: Posture in exersaucer?

• I'm interested in seeing what others have to say about this. Ellie does the same thing in our saucer.

Baby girl #1 7/11/13

Baby girl #2 4/30/15

Baby Boy Due 2/16/19!

• Thanks everyone - I know I ask crazy questions sometimes but you all are always so helpful! I will try the blanket and see if he likes that better but mostly just looks like we can leave things as is.
  • Loading the player...
  • Dccornel said:

He has two different ones and leans forward in both. I didn't think it was a big deal?

Apparently it isn't - I just wanted to make sure I wasn't using a br
  • Dccornel said:

He has two different ones and leans forward in both. I didn't think it was a big deal?

Apparently it isn't - I just wanted to make sure I wasn't using a br
    Sorry - a broken / worn out toy that may have either not been giving the benefits as designed or even potentially harming his posture/frustrating him in some way.

Sidebar: how do you guys edit your posts?
  • I'm with @casey78 he's all over the place in that thing. He was also a late July baby but he definitely has good control in ours and I take him out when he seems done :)
  • I was thinking of getting one for DD. I asked out PT about what she thought about them.. She said they are more like a babysitter and they provide no real benefits. I makes them learn an unnatural way of walking. So based on that I did not get one for her.
  • flkongflkong member
    edited January 2014
    My LO leans forward too. I thought once she grows a little more, she'll sit more centered. 

• Yep, Sam leans forward as well
  • Our LO leans forward as well. I just contributed it to him having short legs like his daddy. We have to put a board game box and a phone book next to each other, underneath so he can play. He loves it but he's too short :) It's even on the highest setting.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• ramy3695 said:

I was thinking of getting one for DD. I asked out PT about what she thought about them.. She said they are more like a babysitter and they provide no real benefits. I makes them learn an unnatural way of walking. So based on that I did not get one for her.

Are you sure you're not thinking of walkers? I've heard that walkers are bad for posture and future walking, but exersaucers don't have any negative effects.
    They have an exersaucer there and I pointed at it since I did not know what it was. That was the answer she gave me. She also said the toys they attach are not very exciting and helpful.
  • Bmore721Bmore721 member
    edited December 2013
    We have a jumperoo, exersaucer (borrowed), and a walker (gifted, but don't use). DD can stand up straight, but usually leans (throws?) her entire body front/back/sideways to get to particular toys (we rotate Lamaze toys) rather than spin the seat. She also does a lot of jumping and pterodactyl noises.

I worry about the seats affecting her posture, muscle development, and walking, so I use the seats very sparingly. If Meredith had a choice, she would much rather sit on the floor and play with soft blocks, sensory balls, toy cars, board books, or the plastic food from her Leap Frog picnic basket.
  • @Iand Loveandyou we work on rolling. Playing on each side, tummy time, reiaching for toys, stretching neck muscles. Sitting is the newest one since DD is preferring to sit. For sitting holding their hips to the floor and letting them do the rest. Also propping them up in the corner of the couch and putting something soft and stable in front of them so they can push up against it. We use a boppy. And foot massages to get their feet used to the motion walking. And putting them in the position to crawl. DD hates this so we don't do it so much. For toys....they say the rings with the textures are great. The kick and play piano is good too. And just toys that your LO likes to play with, use them to encourage them to roll and crawl and follow with their head.
  • @iand loveandyou if you are interacting with your child I think you are doing the right things.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"