TTC After a Loss
Options

OB or RE?

Right now I'm being seen by my OB, who will be doing a hsg and other testing.  She offered to send me to a RE, but said that at this point we will be doing the same testing a RE would.  I do not seem to have any trouble getting pregnant, just staying that way.  Would you recommend switching to a RE or would it be okay to stay with the OB until she exhausts the testing that she normally does?
m/c @ 6 weeks - March 2013 
m/c @ 5 weeks - April 2013 
m/c @ 7 weeks - December 2013, D & C 12/27/2013 
Lilypie Maternity tickers
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: OB or RE?

• Options
    I would push for an RE. RE's are specialized in getting people pregnant and keeping them that way until they are out of the first tri or viability is established. OBs are good at monitoring you afterwards.
    This! REs have more expertise and if you look on one of the other threads, lots of women have both because eventually your OB would pick you back up when you are PG and released from the RE.

Me: 31 * DH: 33 * TTC since Sept 2012
    Hx of Pulmonary Embolisms, Right Sided Heart Failure and Nephrotic Syndrome 2001
    Dx w/ Hashimotos 1998 * Dx w/ Systemic Lupus 2005 * Dx w/ PCOS 2012
    Began working with RE Dec 2012February 2013: Clomid 100mg + Ovidrel  BFP # 1: 2/26/13 * EDD 11/9/13 * MMC at 7w5d -- 3/27/13 * D&C 3/28/13May 2013: Clomid 100mg + Ovidrel + PIO + Lovenox  BFP # 2: 6/6/13 * EDD 2/18/14 * MMC at 11w1d -- 7/31/13 * D&C 8/1/13RPL Testing & Karotyping was normal for both of usEmbryo testing was inconclusiveBenched July 2013- January 2014 due to Lupus FlareWTF appt 2/12/14IVF is OUT and Clomid + Ovidrel + Endometrium is in... AGAINBFP # 3: 2/28/14 * EDD: 11/12/14 * CP 3/1/14TTC on our own until April 2014*A persons a person no matter how small*
    My Ovulation Chart
    imageimage
    *All PgAL/PAL Welcome*

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    If it were me, I would want to see an RE. They should have more knowledge about patients with multiple losses and what to do to help you carry a baby to term. I understand why you would want to stay with your OB though, starting Over with a new doctor is scary. I'm anxiously awaiting my appt. for a second opinion with a new doctor that was recommended to me and it's a little scary changing doctors.
  • Options
    Go to an RE. Like you I can get pregnant but cannot seem to stay that way - hx in siggy. My ob is great and would have done the same or similar testing but like the other ladies said, an RE is in the business of getting people pregnant and keeping them that way. That's what you're after, no?

Pregnancy Ticker

BFP 5/19/2013. MC 7/2/2013 (9w6d) with est. loss at 8w. Miso 7/3/2013 and emergency D & C 7/6/2013.

BFP#2 11/6/2013.  CP 11/14/2013.  

BFP #3 12/13/2013.  Beta #1 @ 15dpo- 239. Progesterone 27.  Beta #2 @17dpo - 90.  CP 12/21/2013

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  -Philippians 4:6-7

All PgAL and PAL welcome.

• Options
    Thanks for the input ladies!
    m/c @ 6 weeks - March 2013 
    m/c @ 5 weeks - April 2013 
    m/c @ 7 weeks - December 2013, D & C 12/27/2013 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    HeyMrsPotterHeyMrsPotter member
    edited December 2013
    I would push, too. At first I just let my OB do the testing, assuming he would be doing the same things as an RE. But when I eventually got to the RE, I found that the testing my OB had done wasn't as complete as it could have been. We had to go back and do the things the OB skipped, which just cost me time I don't have.
  • Options
    Definitely push for an RE.  Ditto to all of the above.  Good luck.
    BabyFruit Ticker   image
    05/31/1997: Married DH - Began TTC right away | 08/2002: Diagnosed with PCOS, Endometriosis
    10/05/2005: Adpoted DS - Funniest boy ever!
    09/2007: Ectopic with rupture - lost right tube | 09/2012: Ectopic - saved the left tube
    08/05/2013: BFP not ectopic | EDD: 4/22/2014 | 09/15/2013: Miscarried at home
    Underwent Gastric Bypass 01/06/2014 to help with PCOS and weight.  Lost 186 lbs - had to TTA for 1 year
    Burned the bench 01/20/15 - Medicated Cycle with Clomid and HCG trigger shot on 02/08/2015
    ++++ BFP 2/17/18 ++++  EDD 10/26/2015
    "Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost." ~ Romans 15:13 
  • Options
    I went to a RE for all of my fertility testing. I at the time didn't have an OB picked out under my new insurance. So I just went to an RE until I was ready and did lots of research on finding a new OB.

Even if I had picked out my amazing OB before TTC, he would have sent me to an RE to do the testing I have already got done. He has said that he trusts the RE with any fertility issues and or questions/concerns. 

Good luck!
  • Options
    Lily9911 said:
    I went to a RE for all of my fertility testing. I at the time didn't have an OB picked out under my new insurance. So I just went to an RE until I was ready and did lots of research on finding a new OB.

Even if I had picked out my amazing OB before TTC, he would have sent me to an RE to do the testing I have already got done. He has said that he trusts the RE with any fertility issues and or questions/concerns. 

Good luck!
    usually people start with an OB and then get referred to an RE. How did you do that backwards?
  • Options
    Lily9911 said:

Good luck!
    usually people start with an OB and then get referred to an RE. How did you do that backwards?
    That was actually what the RE said when he asked how I found him. 
    I told him I looked on my insurance site and he was covered under my insurance.

Now he came up as a OBGYN, that just happened to be in a fertility clinic. So I went to him and he told me he doesn't take on anyone who has been trying for less than a year unless they have other issues like PCOS. Which I told him that I do have PCOS and was diagnosed with that a year ago (when we weren't TTC). So he got all my info from the previous OB and took me on as a patient only after my records were given to him. 

So to be perfectly honest and to shorten my answer- I thought he was an OB, turned out to be an RE.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"