-immigration
-death penalty
-global warming
-affirmative action
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hot Topic Tuesday: Marriage Equality

• Loading the player...
  • kirotea said:

Anyone should be able to marry whomever he or she loves. End of story.

Religion should never interfere with the legality/politics on this (although somehow it always does)... 
    8-|
    I'm chill with religions that don't support gay marriage having the right not to perform them. But I'm not OK with them trying to impose that belief legislatively on the rest of us.

Were I a member of such a religion I would either leave or fight from within. I make that sound hypothetical but it's not; that was a big part of the reason I left Catholicism.
  • It would get heated if my dad was on the forums. We had this discussion over Christmas. My cousin recently married his partner, and they are having a reception next year. My dad doesn't see why they need to get married and thinks that the government shouldn't be rewarding their dissolute behavior. He is even more opposed to gay people raising children, since "studies have shown" that children do best with a mother and a father. Dad didn't have much to say after my husband reminded him that he had been raised by a single mom and that not all heterosexual couples make good parents.
  • My Constitutional law final a few weeks ago involved me writing for three hours on this exact subject, so I could really go on until I was blue in the face.

The government has ZERO legitimate interest in limiting marriages to opposite sex couples.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I guess I don't have to say much; I agree with everything all PPs have said :)
  • It seems that so far the hot topic is pretty one sided with opinions. I agree with everything everyone says, who someone chooses to marry is an incredibly personal decision and quite honestly nobody else's business. I really wish it wasn't such an issue, but it's going to take a federal decision and that could take years to obtain. Meanwhile, I have friends who are genuinely happy and wonderful together who can't be married (or have their marriage recognized if they were to go out of state) in the state if Texas.

I also think that religions have the right to believe/teach what they believe within their 4 walls. I also would go so far as to say that they have the right to evangelize their beliefs if they choose. As American citizens members of those religions have a right to peacefully protest, but their protesting should not influence legislation.
  • I'm in the what ever floats your boat side of the argument, that's my preference on a lot of things. Don't push it on me and let me have my say/side, but if it makes you happy then all the power to them :). I will love my kids regardless of the choices they make, agree with them or not. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I am 100% for gay marriage, adoption of kids by gay couples etc. I am catholic, I believe in pretty much all the things the Church teaches. However, I think as adults we have the ability to know better. Like using our religion to hate people- we have done that time and time again. When will we learn? (I mean the collective we- obviously the majority of posters know better). To PP about your dad- my dad is highly conservative, he has mixed feelings about gays. In that he doesn't care to interfere with legality of it but still finds it morally wrong. And he told me I shouldn't buy Jorge "girly"'toys because it might turn him gay. I was like "Dad, you have a masters degree, your educated, you can't seriously believe that?" Cue, arguing about what makes people gay. He knows I believe you are just born that way. I am sorry but when I have a 1st grade student crying becuse he is different and confused/scared, you can't convince me that a 6 yr old chooses that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree with you ladies!  People should marry whoever they want!  I hope that one day (soon) this is no longer an issue.
  • Love is love. Everyone should be free to marry who they want. My children will also be raised this way. I hate when people use the Bible as a handbook for why gay marriage is wrong. Did you know It also tells you not to wear clothes of certain fibers, as well as a lot of other ridiculous, outdated things that no one follows?
    I was raised catholic but don't really practice - Just went off on DH and ILs this past week for being so hypocritical for the reasons you stated above - how is it ok to just pick and choose which parts of the bible you want to follow and shame other people for, but ignore the ones that you might be shamed for? Regardless - I agree w/ everyone else that if the church wants to support one thing, so be it, but the Government shouldn't have a say on this matter.
  • I agree with PPs.  People should be entitled to marry the person they love, regardless of sex. It is sad that this is still a debate and I'm glad to see it hasn't gotten heated here (yet).  This is another reason I am proud to be from MA, the first state to legalize gay marriage! 

• No one told me I could not marry my husband, who am I to have an opinion on who other people marry. I have been to a few same sex marriages and love is love and celebration of life should always be just that happy.
  • ewallace00ewallace00 member
    edited December 2013
    I'm all for it like pp's. The government should not have a say in the legality.
    I've always been socially liberal, but fiscally I am becoming more conservative over time -- but out government! This season's first Modern Family episode helped me realize something as well. It's not a gay marriage, it's a marriage. It's not a gay wedding, it's a wedding!
    March Siggy Challenge .. What I miss the most during pregnancy

image  image
       Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yes. Without equivocation, hesitation or qualification.

"No freedom until we're equal damn right I support it."
  • Laura8388 said:
    I hope this one doesn't cause too much of a disagreement. Everyone is entitled to love who they want. Don't like gay marriages? Don't get one.
    Yeah, I have nothing more to say than this.  Being a bi woman in this day and age, I believe you fall in love with a person, not a gender, and NO ONE is ever going to be able to tell me who I can love or marry, period.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Anniversary
  • I'm all about marrying whomever you want. I have a hard time wrapping my head around why the government is involved at all? Like why is marriage a legal thing to begin with?

Also - just to play devils advocate, for everyone who says love is love marry who you want... What about cousins or siblings or marrying family members?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • This is how I see it. I love my husband to death. He is my best friend and he is an awesome partner to have. I am proud to call him my husband. I would never want anyone to be denied the right to experience that with the person they love, regardless of their genders.

imageimage

• Kacie said:

Also - just to play devils advocate, for everyone who says love is love marry who you want... What about cousins or siblings or marrying family members?

This is why I leave "love" out of it. I think the legal partnership rules that apply to opposite-sex couples should apply to all legal partnerships.

Same rules should apply legally, no matter what genitals someone has.
    baby boy: 3.19.2014
  • Not a lot to add to this except to voice that I am strongly in favor of gay marriage (which I like to refer to simply as "marriage") and allowing gay couples to adopt.  To previous post whose father said that children do better with a mom and a dad, countless to studies have shown that children of gay couples tend to be very happy, healthy, and well adjusted.  Wish I had them on hand so you could show them to your dad.  I had this argument with some of my family members a couple years ago and hunted down the research.
  • I fully agree with everyone else. I hate that people feel it is their right to judge what other people do with their lives (who they love, how they live, etc).
  • rockopera said:

Kacie said:

This is why I leave "love" out of it. I think the legal partnership rules that apply to opposite-sex couples should apply to all legal partnerships.

Same rules should apply legally, no matter what genitals someone has.
    I agree. There is no box you have to check on your marriage license that says you love each other. Hell, its only a relatively recent notion that marriage has anything to do with love at all. For most of history it was about acquiring/protecting property and positioning yourself in society. There is no logical reason to deny that to people just because they're the same sex.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Looks like I'm a very small minority...

Marriage is defined and designed to be a sacred relationship between a man and a woman- a commitment to each other, before God.

If the government wants to give the legal benefits of marriage to same-sex couples, there's not a lot I can do about it. But please don't call it marriage, because it's not.
  • All you need is love :-)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • snow527 said:

But please don't call it marriage, because it's not.

Why not?

Because of the above definition.
  • @linzandjer11. I'm going to play dumb here -- is this the legal definition or a religious definition? I just found this website and see no mention of God. https://www.clgs.org/marriage/state-definitions
    March Siggy Challenge .. What I miss the most during pregnancy

image  image
       Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"