Babies: 0 - 3 Months

anyone else's parents do this?

my son is 2.5 months old and already my parents and inlaws are talking about solids! "Give him some cereal, he will sleep longer." "He's so big for his age. He is ready." "He NEEDS something else." i know they mean well, but i also know it is way too early to be thinking about that. it's a different generation. i know my parents introduced solids to me at a very young age. i don't want to offend them, but i also don't want to constantly feel pressured about it. i've already politely told my mom and dad that it's now recommended to wait until 6 months and i feel like my mom felt the need to justify HER parenting technique. i was absolutely not criticizing, but i'm worried it comes off that way. with my inlaws, i just sort of nod and smile. i don't want to ruffle any feathers but how do i get my point across without sounding critical?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

Re: anyone else's parents do this?

• Not my parents, but my ILs are like this. If I took their crappy advice we would have never BF, DS would be drinking water, sleeping on his stomach, watching TV, and wearing 4 layers of clothing when it's 80 degrees.

I don't worry about ruffling feathers. I just tell them I understand that they were told differently when we were babies, but this is how we do things now and I explain the reason. If they want to push the issue I tell them to drop it.

I suppose if you want to be delicate you can say you've discussed it with his doctor and you're comfortable with the advice given by your pediatrician.
  • Loading the player...
  • I haven't had to contend with the solids recommendations yet; I'm sure they'll come soon.  But I do constantly have to contend with my ILs telling me DS is too cold.  They are constantly trying to wrap him in blankets or asking me to put more clothes on him and I keep explaining he is fine and we have to be mindful of overheating.  Every time they make a comment I get so aggravated inside, yet to them I just smile and say "he's fine, we wouldn't want him to overheat."  

What gets me the most is they will be caring for him when I go back to work and I'm so worried they are going to hike the heat up in their home and bundle DS for a trek up Mt. Everest. I'll be sure to reiterate my wishes 75 more times before that day! 

• thanks, all. i will definitely make a point to discuss foods with his doctor at his 4 month visit. it'll be nice to have the opinion of a professional on my side. lol. theyre just all so wonderful and have offered so much support, i don't want to hurt any feelings.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

• My inlaws attended a grandparenting class at a local hospital. They learned all of the current advice regarding infant care. I wish my mom would take one!
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Not my parents, but my inlaws, yes. Apparently when they're teething you should rub a little rum on their gums too. Crazies!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart
    BFP 12/19/08 m/c 12/26/08 4 weeks 5 days BFP 10/12/12 m/c 11/19/12 9 weeks...love you forever my angel babies!
  • wedding06 said:

My mom also thinks I should force DS to go four hours without eating so he gets used to it and can go longer. Uh no!

Ugh, my sister is constantly telling me this. She keeps insisting that I should wait until he's wailing before I feed him so I know he's really hungry. Seriously?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     BFP #1: 3.2.13 | EDD: 10.21.13 | Born: 10.25.13
     BFP #2: 9.9.14 | EDD 5.13.15 | MC: 9.24.14
    BFP #3: 1.4.15 | EDD 8.23.15
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My mom also thinks I should force DS to go four hours without eating so he gets used to it and can go longer. Uh no!
    Ugh, my sister is constantly telling me this. She keeps insisting that I should wait until he's wailing before I feed him so I know he's really hungry. Seriously?
    That's insane!! If the baby takes food he is hungry...enough said.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"