October 2012 Moms

Three kids? Might want to think again...

according to this article.

https://shortwinded.net/so-you-would-like-to-have-three-children/

Can I get your thoughts on this?

My opinion is probably unpopular, but I'm somewhat irritated by this writer. Especially the part where she insinuates four children is easier than three. I appreciate her stories though, and I'm sure lots of moms relate to her. Just don't like the way this is written, personally.

Re: Three kids? Might want to think again...

• I only read the first few paragraphs and got bored. I did remember and google this survey from ealrier in the year which showed three children seems most stressful to mom:

I buy it, especially if the age gaps are small.

I do feel like among my peer group, 3 is the new 2 for sure. Everyone seems to want 3 (except for me :))
    DD 9/15/12
  • As a mom to three kids I can say that every bit of it is true for me. Three kids is tough. Dh and I frequently joke(?) That we reproduced to many offspring. But this is really what we wanted. So no one could have talked us out of it. And we wouldn't make a different decision now. But we are very much done.
    Hey I just met you, and you're my baby. This is your family, we're kind of crazy...Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (tl9S)Lilypie - (zrx8)imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • I come from a family with three kids and as adults my sister and brother I i are really close but growing up I was always the babysitter being five years apart. I think my h and i will have maybe one more and be good. Two seems like a good number bit we may have three. We are going to reevaluate after #2 comes but we have no plans for number 2 for a while.

• H and I both came from families with 3 kids and neither one of us wants 3 kids. A lot of times with h family it would be 2 against 1. I felt left out because I was the only girl. My dad did make a good point to me that if you have more than two alliances can shift and it's not always the same fighting. In h case though his siblings tended to team up on him.
    Lilypie - Personal picture    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie - Personal picture    
  • I used to want three (before Henry), but I don't think I do anymore...though not because of this article. In my head, this baby is our last, but DH isn't quite on that page yet...he still mentions our potential third. Lets just say I am keeping an open mind but a third would be several years into our future, if at all.

My boss' immediate reaction when I told her I wanted three kids was "No! They outnumber you!" She has three kids, but her third was a....surprise. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I think she's a little dramatic about it. A lot of the things she brings up is what I still experience sometimes with 2 kids. I can see though how exhausted she is and understand adding 1 more to the mix makes it that much more challenging. Still, reading it doesn't change my mind. My family still doesn't feel complete to us, and if you had asked me if I wanted 3 kids after DS1 was born I would have told you that you were crazy. For me, the older my boys get, the easier it gets. I absolutely want a third child, but I will say that I see the benefits of waiting until my older 2 children are older. Ideally, I want them to be 6 and 4 before baby #3 is born.
    Logan Jack- 6.1.10 and Emmett Weston- 9.29.12 

• As soon as Ds1 was born, I was already talking about having another baby. Once he turned one, we decided to start trying fairly soon. The boys are almost two years apart, exactly. I love it. Some days are hard but that can happen with having just one oe more.

We can't say we're done for sure but I will say I'm very happy with our current family size. If we have another we will likely wait another year.

• The part about loving to have a clean and organized house jumped out at me.  I feel similarly -- clutter and mess drive me insane and I am trying to relax my standards but it is one of the many reasons that we are probably done with one.  I think all of this "HOW MANY BABEEZ IS THE RIGHT NUMBER?" stuff is about knowing yourself, your partner (if any), your financial situation, your current kid(s), etc. and making the best guess that you can.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think it just depends on the family. Some people aren't bothered by a little craziness, some people are driven nuts. Our sitter has 4 and says going from 2-3 was craziness, 3-4 was no big deal, more of the same. She is super laid back and deals awesomely with all her kids plus mine. My SIL has 3, they are frequently really overwhelmed. Everyone is different, etc. There is no magic number.
  • I agree it's pointless to give this writer crap over something she wrote in her blog. But while reading it, I was thinking about my SIL who constantly complains about how hard it is to have three kids, and I don't I know how many times I've been told that I just couldn't possibly understand. My point is, what am I supposed to say after the 112th complaint? Offer condolences, apologize? 

• I read it earlier when my cousin posted it on fb. I desperately wanted three kids. When I Was first pregnant, I lowered it to two because I was sick all 9 months. Once I had dis, I started to want 3 again. Pregnant with number two and the first 3 months were awful. Back to two. Felt great until 36 weeks and decided I was back to wanting three. Felt that way until I went back to work. I was so overwhelmed. I got the hang of it and was back to wanting 3. This changed when we started pt with my daughter for gross motor delay. This is so much time and money and stress, that I just don't think I can mentally handle 3. I'm not ready to do anything permanent, but I feel done now and have started selling stuff. I'm jealous of those who can manage 3, as I grew up 1 or 3, but I can see how it would be overwhelming!! The author did sound whiny, but I've been there!

From our WDW vacation- June 3, 2014

DS- Wesley- March 14, 2010
    DD- Norah- September 27, 2012

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"