April 2014 Moms
Options

Goodie basket for the nurses?

Is anyone doing a goodie basket for the nurses when you have your LO? If so, what are you putting in it? Are you writing a note?

We did one last time and our nurses were so pleased with it. I want to do it again but this time I want to think of something cute and clever to say on the card. We did chips, fruit snacks, trail mix and some chocolate, I can't exactly remember. This time if my c-section is in the morning I will probably bring coffee and bagels with cream cheese.
imageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Goodie basket for the nurses?

• Options
    Well, I'd say it depends on the circumstances. It'd be nice to give a little thank you to the nurses, sure. But planning a basket in advance is not on my radar. I have no idea when my little guy is going to make his appearance and having myself, DH and care for DSD squared away will be enough for me to handle! So, maybe afterwards would be my choice.
  • Options

Did you just take one big basket with everything in it? I like the idea and I may do one.

Yes, I bought a cute pink basket that I told them I wanted to keep (DD's laundry basket now) and at first we had it in our room but ended up telling the nurses just have it at their station because they felt dumb taking stuff in front of us. It was pretty cool to have nurses that we weren't even using to pop in and say thanks for the snack. Such a small gesture seemed to make them feel appreciated.
    imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD was born on Fat Tuesday, and we brought little packaged chocolate peanut clusters tied with green, gold, and purple ribbon. We had enough for the nursing staff as well as guests. I had a little "Happy Fat Tuesday from *DD's Name* & Her Proud Parents" sign on the basket. I offered them to anyone who came in our room. They were very well-received!

Obviously with a planned c/s, that was way easier to plan and execute. Hoping I won't have that time this go 'round, but I'd like to think of something I can buy ahead of time that won't spoil to offer!
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • Options
    We definitely did that for DD's NICU nurses--bought 5 or 6 huge bags of individually wrapped candy bars, Twizzlers, etc. for their break room. We did write a note, but our relationship with them was longer term (2 months). I'd like to do something for my L&D nurses this time around as well. 
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Good idea! My inlaws own a Portuguese bakery so I'll probably get them to bring in a big box of pastries for the nursing staff. Another perk of having a planned RCS, right!?
    BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    For my ob and her nurse, I'm giving them custom scrub hats that my mom makes.  For the other nurses and staff, we haven't decided which route we plan on going, but we know we'll be doing something.  I have been told to steer clear of any homemade food items, but anything from a known store/bakery is game!  We did hershey bars with he colored in blue and she in pink for our reveal; maybe we'll add some of these - with just the she colored in - in the basket.
  • Options
    My best friend promised to take care of this for me (she is also a pastry chef) so I am sure it will be cupcakes or cookies or something!

CafeMom Tickers

• Options
    For those talking about baked goods, I think you might want to check with the hospital staff first. I recall someone saying on a similar thread that they work as a nurse and in many cases they aren't able/willing to accept anything that isn't pre-packaged because of the risk associated with not knowing what is in it. I don't know whether or not it's universally true, just that a Bumpie has brought it up in the past. It may be worth asking before you deliver if you plan on baked goods. 
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I will definitely have a basket ready! I'm going to put a little note in there that says something along the line of "Sorry in advance for being a raging bitch. Don't listen to anything I say until after the delivery please!" And just say how much I appreciate them. Put in candies, coffee packets, hot cocoa, tea, and some other little stuff, just in case anyone doesn't like chocolate or something. 

I made a holiday basket and brought it to my doctor's office and they were very happy with it! 
    Why do my boobs look so good?image
    Then I peed on a stick...image
  • Options
    Yes, I will be doing this. I'm going to use a mini utility bin from thirty one in a cute spring print, and get something embroidered on it.
    First we had you.

Then we had you.

Now we are complete.

• Options
    I did a variety of candies, trail mix, gatorades, and note (but I didn't write the card until after the baby was born so I could use their names).  I'll definitely do it again, but maybe something different this time like a giftcard to somewhere nearby that delivers or something.
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    How about ordering an Edible Arrangement from your hospital bed to be delivered to the Nurses Station.
    Kate & Eric Married 10.10.09

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I too am curious about how big/how many people to plan for. Obviously, all hospitals are different, but I haven't even a clue what an average number of nurses to prepare for would be!
  • Options
    We will do nothing bunt cakes a friend will bring them when I am in labor.
  • Options
    DemoDollDemoDoll member
    edited December 2013

I too am curious about how big/how many people to plan for. Obviously, all hospitals are different, but I haven't even a clue what an average number of nurses to prepare for would be!

We brought a basket that is about the size of one of those fabric totes you can get at target (10.5" x 10.5" x 11") and filled it up. I was in labor for 30 hours and it was emptied towards the middle of my labor but I let them have it at the nurses station so any of the nurses could take what they wanted (even if they weren't my nurse). When I was in labor I had 1 primary nurse and sometimes a secondary nurse too. I went through 3 shift changes during labor.

I wish I would have brought the extra goodies that didn't fit in the basket for the post partum nurses. At my hospital it's a completely different wing and completely different nurses. I had about 4 different nurses during my recovery. I was in the hospital for 6 days. EVery hospital is different but that's just to give you an idea.

Oh and for what we bought, we went to Sam's club and bought two different chip variety packs, a gummy snack variety pack and a trail mix pack. We only used half, so it would have been nice to use the other half in post partum but it was the middle of August and some of it would have melted if we left it in our car.
    imageimage

• Options
    We're going to have family wait until after we deliver to visit, so I plan to ask one of my siblings to pick up a cookie tray on their way to the hospital. That way it's one less thing for us to cart to the hospital for us! 
  • Options
    I've thought about this, but I think it's just one more thing to stress about once the time comes. 
  • Options
    With my second she came at 6:30 am. Had my Aunt run to Krispy kreme to grab 2 dozen donuts and coffee. Nurses loved me, most were on they way to getting off and the new nurses were still sleepy...lol. My favorite nurse upon leaving we gave a mini glass bear and a thank you note. Whenever we are at the hospital we visit her. 

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    My SIL told me to do this since she did with her newest son. We will pack individual bags with trail mix, candy, snacks, and chap stick. You never know when you need chap stick...and during those long nurse shifts it may come in handy. All will have a little note of thanks.
  • Options
    We did a basket of tea bags, instant coffee, candy, and cocoa powders and just had it ready to go at my sister's house.  She brought it when she came to visit right after DS was born.  All the nurses loved it (my FIL actually overheard them telling another staff member about it on the way to the cafeteria so they weren't just saying that).  We will do something similar for this time too. 

Mom of 2 little gentlemen and one more on the way

image         image

• Options
    This is a great idea to think of ahead of time. I'm a nurse in the recovery room and there is nothing better than a personalized note thanking you for your care. Nurses get a lot of junk food and unhealthy stuff as thank yous which don't get me wrong, ALWAYS gets eaten... But it is so refreshing to have something healthy like fresh fruit or something. I was also thinking about things like pens, badge holders, lotions, chapsticks.....would that be weird? Best gift ever was from a doc for Xmas, they got a masseuse to do 15 min chair massages for a few hrs over lunch.... Not sure how much something like that runs and obviously that doesn't cover all the shifts but man, that's heaven in the middle if a crazy day.... Would probably have to coordinate that with the manager or charge nurse though. Sounds like a lotta work. :-)
  • Options
    I'm gonna have my mom pick up some sweets and little things from bath and body works. I won't being doing anything ahead of time, but my mom works right next to a mall, so she is going to run over on lunch break one day.
  • Options
    These would be a really cute idea for the specific nurses you get (considering you don't have a mass amount). I specifically like the "keep calm and labor on", "push" and the ones with the baby feet on them!

https://www.etsy.com/search/handmade/accessories?q=labor+and+delivery
  • Options
    Take it from a nurse - nurses want bakery items and chocolate!

• Options
    I work for Panera and one of my stores is across the street from the hospital I'm delivering at so I think I'll just have one of my catering people bring some stuff over. (Side note, all Panera stores deliver catering stuff if that would be easier for you)

I was thinking about bringing a bunch of snacks for DH and I so making another set up won't be too hard. Maybe I'll do both.
  • Options
    These are great ideas!! I was thinking of ordering pizzas... but never thought about shift changes... might make more sense to do 2 cookie trays... 1 for delivery and 1 for after...  
  • Options
    TallaB said:

Take it from a nurse - nurses want bakery items and chocolate!

Ditto ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"