April 2013 Moms

Sleep Training - HELP

So...LO will only sleep alone if he is in his infant car seat. It's been like this for months and months. We can walk/rock him to sleep and then put him in his car seat but we usually resort to walking his infant carrier with him in it to get him to sleep (he's 23lbs.....+carrier). The only other alternative is to let him sleep on/with us but that's pretty unproductive... It's pretty rough...

At night we co-sleep, we have since day one. He has never been a great sleeper, he always wakes up about every 1.5-2 hrs. If I'm super lucky I'll get a 3-4hr stretch at night but more often it is 1.5hrs or less.

We follow his cues and he has a pretty tight schedule: Wakes up 7:00-7:30, Naps by 9am, Noon, 4pm (Naps are anywhere from 30minutes-2hrs, typically about 1 hr) then bed by 7:30pm, once in bed at 7:30 (in his car seat) he wakes up about every hour and we pick up his seat and walk him back to sleep. He always wakes up at 10pm hungry so I feed him and usually take him into bed with me at this point since I'm going to bed. After that he's up every couple hours, at this point I'm tired and just want to sleep so I usually let him nurse back to sleep. It doesn't seem like he's eating much, just comfort sucking. He does typically want to Eat again by 2am though.

So, my question, I am starting sleep training today, he just HAS to start getting used to his crib. Do I just go cold turkey and say every nap/night time is crib from here on out.. or should I start with Naps only and continue to let him sleep with us at night? What would you ladies do?
Pregnancy Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sleep Training - HELP

• i am in the same boat as you ! i need to know how to get LO into her crib. She will not stay there. this co sleeping thing is killing me :((
  • I'm no expert, but going cold turkey worked for me. I stopped co-sleeping with DD when she was 3 months old, so I don't know if it might be tougher with the age difference. Honestly, it was harder for me than it was for her. The first night she cried in the crib for about 5 minutes before falling asleep, but she got the hang of it really quickly. By 4 months she was sleeping through the night and has been ever since.
  • Loading the player...
  • chgibeau said:
    I did cold turkey. We co-slept from birth to 3 months (a RNP next to the bed) and then bedshared from 3-6 months old. At 6 months we did CIO to extinction in his crib for night and naps. It was way easier than I thought it was going to be. (It wasn't easy, just easier than I thought.)
    That's what I'm thinking of doing. Our problem is that once we get him to sleep, he doesn't transition to the crib at all. He wakes up and then stays up and there is no way to get him back to sleep. So my game plan is to try to get him to sleep until we are both too frustrated... then let him play until he's ready to go to sleep again. I mean eventually the kid will sleep and we just have to be persistent. I'm arming myself for a miserable week!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Lhyacinth888Lhyacinth888 member
    edited December 2013
    That is tough. Do you think you could nurse him to sleep and then place him into his crib while he is still sleeping? And if he wakes up nurse him and put him back in the crib? I would probably start there. I would get him used to the crib first and still let him comfort nurse for a week or so. Then I would slowly cut down the times I went in to nurse aka be a human pacifier. My DD was the same way! When I started out it took me about an hour to have her sleeping and sucking and finally putting her down in her crib. I have slowly moved the time to less and less so now it takes about 15 mins to 30 mins to nurse her and have her ready to be put down. She sleeps so much better in her crib (we bed-shared at night til she was 5 mths and she napped in her swing). Good luck!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That is tough. Do you think you could nurse him to sleep and then place him into his crib while he is still sleeping? And if he wakes up nurse him and put him back in the crib? I would probably start there. I would get him used to the crib first and still let him comfort nurse for a week or so. Then I would slowly cut down the times I went in to nurse aka be a human pacifier. My DD was the same way! When I started out it took me about an hour to have her sleeping and sucking and finally putting her down in her crib. I have slowly moved the time to less and less so now it takes about 15 mins to 30 mins to nurse her and have her ready to be put down. She sleeps so much better in her crib (we bed-shared at night and she napped in her swing). Good luck!!
    We walk/rock or nurse him to sleep initially for naps, any attempt to put him in the crib wakes him up permanently, but for the night time routine that sounds like a good idea. Usually once he is out for the night it's hard to rouse him. I'm hoping the night time will be a bit easier. Thanks for the suggestion
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • jss1482 's post! I'm sure a lot of us are going through this now
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • CanukMam said:

chgibeau said:

I did cold turkey. We co-slept from birth to 3 months (a RNP next to the bed) and then bedshared from 3-6 months old. At 6 months we did CIO to extinction in his crib for night and naps. It was way easier than I thought it was going to be. (It wasn't easy, just easier than I thought.)

That's what I'm thinking of doing. Our problem is that once we get him to sleep, he doesn't transition to the crib at all. He wakes up and then stays up and there is no way to get him back to sleep. So my game plan is to try to get him to sleep until we are both too frustrated... then let him play until he's ready to go to sleep again. I mean eventually the kid will sleep and we just have to be persistent. I'm arming myself for a miserable week!

From day one, I put DD in her crib at night awake once I know she is tired, turn on her mobile, lights off, shut her door halfway and leave the room immediately.

It never worked trying to put her in there asleep. By following our routine instead, she is almost always asleep in 5 minutes.

Nap time is a different story. ;)
  • Hang in there! I feel your exhaustion! :) fingers crossed you find what works for you
  • Aww! Yay momma! Fingers crossed for a successful night! !
  • haha, lasted 30 minutes, this is gonna be a long night
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was in the same boat... but my LO never slept!  She is slowly getting better.....
    I nurse/rock to sleep... after about 10 minutes I slowly put her in the crib (on her stomach).  For the first little while for each waking I would nurse her to sleep and repeat.  Once she got used to being in the crib, I worked on rocking her to sleep (vs nursing) if it had been less than 4 hours. Then, finally I got to the point where if she woke up after the transfer I would let her CIO... I have a personal limit because I cannot let her cry alone for very long but luckily for me she has never cried longer than around 20 minutes... her longest time was 23 minutes.

You can tell if they are going to go to sleep because after awhile they get into a sleeping position and take longer breaks in between crying. 

This only works for us at bed time.... Naps are still a mystery to me :(  She does not transition easy into the crib during the day.. I have let her cry up to 25 minutes for nap and some days she is asleep by 20 min and other days I am getting her at the 25 minute mark feeling like an A hole. 

But I do think that working on it the way I did has really helped and I did it in a way I felt comfortable with.  And actually this week DH has rocked her back to sleep if she wakes up before 4 hours (which has NEVER happened... until now she would scream bloody murder, worse than if  you left her in the crib if anyone got her out but me).

I don't know if you feel comfortable with it but putting her in on her stomach has made a big difference as well.  Good luck
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • CanukMam said:

haha, lasted 30 minutes, this is gonna be a long night

I hope things got better! The first few days are the hardest!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That sounds like a great start! 4 wake ups definitely sounds better than 6-8. I hope things keep getting better for you!!
  • Sarahbeth1169Sarahbeth1169 member
    edited December 2013
    This may not be something everyone will agree with but it works for us. Since about 6 months my son has been sleeping in his crib for all naps and at night. He slept in his swing or we co-slept until 6 months. He refused to sleep in his crib. I think for him the crib was to hard so I took a couple blankets and put them under the sheet so they couldnt go around him. This way he is laying on his sheet but its softer. This worked for us and he likes sleeping in his crib now plus he now sleeps all night. He use to be up every 1.5-2 hours. So maybe you can try this? Good luck. :-)
  • Thanks, I do have a blankie in the crib with him and I definitely find it does help. my LO has been extremely active since an early age, so I'm not worried at all.

He actually slept face down in the crib for about 30 minutes last night, I went in to check on him and he was snoring away :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"