August 2012 Moms

Daycare Dilemma, What would A12 do?

DS has been in the same daycare since June.  His current provider is currently licensed and I've viewed her history on the social services website.  She doesn't have any major violations, her only violations are surrounding have parents fill out the correct number of emergency contacts, not posting the correct menu for the week, not having an accurate role count.  None of these are major in my eyes.  The county we live in recently just changed the law about home daycares, previously home daycares could have a max of 12 kids (with an assistance if more than 5).  The new law states that in order to be licensed a home daycare can't have more than 9 kids.  Today my daycare provider sent an email stating that her license expires in February and she doesn't want to pick and chose 3 kids to drop from daycare and if we would be  willing to keep our kids at her daycare if she doesn't renew her license.  I planned on moving Micah to a daycare center when he turns 2 in August.  I don't even know how to respond or what to think.  I specifically only looked for licensed home daycares because I like that their is regulations and policies.  She says that she will still provide the same services and nothing will change except that she will no longer be licensed.  This completely stresses me out because I'm comfortable with the daycare and didn't want to move Micah until summer.  We're currently paying $250 weekly and if we moved him to a center now that would increase to at least $310 weekly.

What would you do in the situation?  Sorry for the rambling and punctuation errors, I just saw this email and seriously have no idea what we're going to do.  My options are to keep DS in the unlicensed daycare or move him to the center in February and pay an add'l $60.
DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

Re: Daycare Dilemma, What would A12 do?

• That's a tough situation. We also only looked at licensed daycares. I totally understand her motivation for not wanting to remain licensed if she has to pick kids to drop. Have you looked into the law? I'm really surprised that there wouldn't be some sort of grandfathering clause since there are probably many providers in that situation. I would probably be ok leaving DD at the in home until you had planned to move anyway, given that I've built a lot of trust with our provider over the past year.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • L12541 said:
    That's a tough situation. We also only looked at licensed daycares. I totally understand her motivation for not wanting to remain licensed if she has to pick kids to drop. Have you looked into the law? I'm really surprised that there wouldn't be some sort of grandfathering clause since there are probably many providers in that situation. I would probably be ok leaving DD at the in home until you had planned to move anyway, given that I've built a lot of trust with our provider over the past year.
    I remember seeing stories about this on the news a few months ago and parents and providers being really upset but I hadn't realized that the policy was officially changed.  Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to look it up and read it myself.
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• Loading the player...
  • If I loved it, I would stay.  I doubt her quality of care would change.  She'd probably keep on as she was before.
  • Honestly I'd probably leave my kid there. If you already like and trust her, I'd trust her to continue providing the same care. While licensing is important, the threat of inspection is not the only thing keeping responsible providers doing the right thing. If you don't trust her to keep providing the same level of care, that's probably a sign to switch to the center.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would move him to a licensed daycare. He's your baby and you want the best for him. I wouldn't take any chances. Mine are in daycare center and I will say its been the best experience for them. I love the regime and the daily sheet I get. The kids are flourishing and having fun.
  • I would probably still keep him there, unless you think she'll start slacking on care. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"