February 2013 Moms

No Birthday Gifts Wording (NBR)

So for my son's 1st birthday party, MH and I really don't want people to bring gifts. One, because we are in an apartment until fall and we have SO MUCH baby crap it is literally taking over our place. Since my son won't know any different, we want to request on his invitations that we don't want gifts. We realize people probably still will bring stuff, but we won't be opening anything at the party, displaying them, etc. I know some people think it's bad etiquette to put anything related to gifts on the invite, but we have already decided to put something so if you want to flame, just ignore this and move on because I am looking for helpful advice here. I had put on my working copy of the invitation "No gifts please. Your presence is the only gift needed." DH thought that sounded stupid, but was unable to come up with any replacement suggestions. So I wanted some unbiased, fresh ideas from you ladies.

Declan 2.21.2013
Baby Boy #2 EDD 6.22.2015

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: No Birthday Gifts Wording (NBR)

• i think what you wrote is perfect. I think people get weird abt it when you request specific gifts (ie: registering for your honeymoon, etc). But when you are saying NO gifts...there is absolutely nothing wrong with that and like you said alot of people will probably bring something small anyway.
  • That sounds good. If you go with best wishes only some ppl either wont get it or will and ignore it. By specifically saying no gifts now they get it. And by adding the second part it seems less harsh.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We always just say "No gifts, please" and that is what I see on all of the birthday invites we've gotten with this request.  I think what you wrote is totally fine!

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• Http://Offbeatfamilies.com/2010/12/no-baby-gifts Some of it applies to baby showers, but it's cute. :)
    I love the last one! I may use that except change "pregnant mama" to "nursing mama". :D
  • Thanks for all your responses! I saw a comment on that blog link someone suggesting " no gifts please, we don't need anything except more room in our house". Made me laugh because that's how I feel. I'll have to decide if I want to go that route...

Declan 2.21.2013
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 6.22.2015

BabyFruit Ticker

• I have now had three friends that have done "no gifts" and they all got gifts. I had another friend call freaking out that she got a "no gifts" invite and didn't know what to do because all the moms in the mothers group were buying gifts anyways. I told her not to and follow the invite. She bought a gift anyway and said there was a huge pile of gifts at the party.
    Bottom line: people will get you gifts anyway and you will come off as tacky.
    Forget the "no gifts" and donate instead.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • We are also on the " no gifts " train. We remind family that lil man has a college fund set up. Feel free to donate to that. It will go to good use.
  • Everyone in my circle respects the no gifts request...

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• Another version of what you wrote would be "Your presence is a gift! Please no other gifts for the birthday boy."  Yours is totally fine though IMO!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • We put "your presence is the only present requested"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"