February 2013 Moms
Options

Sippy Cup switchover suggestions

Hey Ladies, I am thinking about getting DS to start learning how to start taking some of his daily bottles into a sippy cup in anticipation of helping him make the transition over. I am realizing that some of the smaller ones don't have measurements on them, nor are they large enough to support a full "bottle". Do you have any suggestions to some larger sippy cups that you liked using when you started making this transition? I haven't tried him with straw sippies yet, I think we will stick with the regular ones for now just so he gets the concept easier (he still lays back to enjoy his bottles and doesn't hold them on his own yet).
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Sippy Cup switchover suggestions

• Options
    FWIW, DD had a much easier time with straws than with sippy cups.  I really like the take'n'toss straw cups because they are super easy to suck.
  • Options
    I second the straw cups. E flat out refused the regular sippy. We actually went out and bought one of every kind of sippy that Walmart had in stock to find two cups he likes. *eye roll* so not only do I have a blanket snob, but a sippy snob too.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS uses the Nuby 8oz straw sippy cup and he LOVES it!!!! Good luck!

imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary

• Options

DD just chews on the sippy cup we have. I have yet to try a straw cup which seems to be the popular option here. Do they not just make a huge mess and dump water everywhere? It just seems like she will end up soaked??

• Options

DD just chews on the sippy cup we have. I have yet to try a straw cup which seems to be the popular option here. Do they not just make a huge mess and dump water everywhere? It just seems like she will end up soaked??

Most of the straw cups I have don't leak unless you *really* shake or dump them.  We have several Take and Toss cups, plus an OXO, a Lanisoh, and a Zoli.  I HATE the Zoli!  I leaks terribly, even in the refrigerator.  Both the OXO and Lanisoh have a twisting lid so you can hide the straw and close it off from leaks.
  • Options
    How do you teach them to suck the straw? DS will just chew it... I have a hunch that he will anyways.
  • Options
    Another straw lover here too! My daughter just doesn't know how to tip a sippy cup back. But she drinks from a straw just fine. We never had to teach her, we just let her mess around with it and she eventually learned if she sucked she would get water.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker

~I have a baby in heaven 3-20-12~
  • Options
    Rosebean said:
    How do you teach them to suck the straw? DS will just chew it... I have a hunch that he will anyways.

Everett chewed it at first if it was a soft straw that was chewable. Switching to a hard plastic straw worked and now he will even drink from the restaurant's straw without chewing it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    After reading the responses I tested out a bunch with my twins. Some of the ones mentioned have a spill proof straw that you have to bite and suck to get liquid out. My guys couldn't figure this out. They did best with the cheapo playtex straw cups. No anti-leak mechanism, but simple enough that they could get the hang if it. Hope this helps someone :)
  • Options
    Well, I got a sippy with a straw and I will attempt water in it tomorrow. Or maybe formula... Who knows! Wish us luck and thank you for all the feedback, ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"