Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

6 mo crawls in her sleep

My daughter is about 6 1/2 months old.  She has recently started crawling... our problem now is that anywhere from 5 minutes to 15 minutes after we put her to bed, she wakes up SCREAMING. When we go in to soothe her, she is on her hands and knees, and has crawled into a corner of the crib. She seems to still be asleep almost - she is very disoriented, but she repeatedly bangs her head on the crib because she keeps trying to crawl forward even though she can't.  This is happening almost every half hour!  My first solution is generally to flip her back over onto her back, give her the pacifier and she is almost immediately back to sleep.  (which is why I don't think she is really fully awake when this happens, despite the distressed crying)  My last resort solution after several wake ups is to bring her to bed with me. This usually means being kicked by her all night or having my face clawed at, and I get little to no sleep anyway.  Needless to say she is not a sound sleeper... its been an uphill battle since day one!  I want to cry sometimes, just imagining how long it will be until I get a full nights sleep again!

Does anyone else have this problem?  Any solutions or suggestions? HELP!

Re: 6 mo crawls in her sleep

• Options
    Yes, R just turned 7 months yesterday and has been doing this for a month now. He really banged his head on the wood rail so we had to put up a padded bumper. Luckily after about a week or so he figured out how to just go back to a comfy position and back to sleep. We did go from only waking up once a night to now two or three so it's still not back to normal. I think it's because due to his sleepy travels he loses his paci and lovey and freaks out if he can't feel one
  • Options
    With each new milestone babies will practice in their sleep and in turn wake themselves up feeling disoriented. I read to work with the baby to practice how to go from one position back into sleeping position.

Some nights are worse than others. It may get better and it may or may not go back to what it use to. For me it has been month after month of sleep regressions, growth spurts, and milestones. Some days he wakes up once and some days it's three times.

After some time I would wait 5 mins before going in to her room. This will give her the chance to fall back to sleep on her own if she was crawling or settle back to sleep if she is ending a sleep cycle and going into a new one. Hang in there!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me (32) DH (34) | |
    BFP #1 4/5/12 | Natural m/c on 4/18/12 (6w1d)
    BFP #2 8/23/12 | DS born 5/3/13
    BFP #3 12/6/15 | DD born 8/23/16
    BFP #4 2/22/19 | EDD 10/28/19
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh yes, my DS has been doing this since he was 5m old! (can't crawl in the day though) We had some rough nights but for the most part now he can get himself out of his "jam" on his own.

If you tough it out for awhile and keep doing your first solution above, she will get over this. If you last resort it all the time, she's going to get used to that.... 

• Options
    DD was doing the head banging thing when she started crawling.  I think we just let her figure it out.  The last few months have been a blur with crawling and teething and standing and their impact on her sleep.  I will always go in to soothe DD if she's screaming or full on crying.  If she's just whining I try to let her work it out on her own.
  • Options
    My LO does this also. Every time I go in the room she's on all 4s with her eyes closed. I don't have much advice or a solution. Sorry! just wanted you to know you're not alone and it will get better.
  • Options
    Poor thing!!!!!! My boys did this when the first learned how to roll over and would roll over in there sleep and it would shock them out of their sleep. Every 15 minutes until I swaddled the heck out of them so they couldn't roll lol Maybe you could try a sleep slack with your baby and see if that helps. Best of luck!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"