February 2013 Moms

What is "patty cake?"

Since M was a preemie, we go to a developmental clinic every 6 months.  At her 6 month appt, they wanted to know if she played pattycake.  I was like, no way, not even, and they were like, well, she will soon.  Now its later, and I really can't imagine her doing this.  I keep reading on milestone info that they should "play pattycake and peek-a-boo" but peek-a-boo seems way easier and she has been able to do that forever.  So do I not understand what they think she should do?  When you do patty-cake, do you just have to hit hands, in rhythm, with your partner?  Or do you just have to hit the floor in rhythm?  Or do you have to roll it, mark it with a "b" and put it in the oven?  Because I'm pretty sure we're not going to be doing all that for quite a while...

Re: What is "patty cake?"

• Felicity86Felicity86 member
    edited December 2013
    I have no idea but my pediatrician was also concerned about this at our 9 month appointment!
  • Wow I didn't know this! We're no where near this, he slaps five and claps and knows the song cuz we sing it but there is no clapping in rhythm to the song lol
    photo 9304f105-c1e0-4769-a5f5-66ebac0208e2.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • I have never sang this song to either DS  -- how would they learn it otherwise?  This is one of the milestones that I definitely side-eye.  We clap together and he has been able to do that for awhile.  I think that's good enough.

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• DS used to clap his hands along with me when I sang it, but now he initiates clapping by himself when I start singing the song without seeing me do it first. There is no way he rolls it and marks it with a B and I don't see that coming for a long time!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have never played patty cake with DS, so I would not expect him to do it. He plays peek-a-boo, pretends to use a phone when you give it to him and say, "It's for you!" and he claps, waves, and will do high fives if the mood strikes him.  That's sufficient for me. I would not be worried about patty cake if I were you. That seems pretty subjective.
  • When DS hears music he will sometimes "wave his hands in the air like he just doesn't care". That works for me. :P

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• Seeca022 said:

Hmm I barely do patty cake. I always do "If your Happy and you know it" and he will clap his hands to that. My Pedi hasn't said anything about to me.

That song is a favorite in our house. ;-)

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"