June 2013 Moms

Have you left baby overnight yet?

2»

Re: Have you left baby overnight yet?

• We left mister at 6 weeks for a night for a friends wedding and a month ago because my hubby needed to go to the ER for a kidney stone. He stayed with my parents who he is with twice a week while I work. They even have a crib for him.
  • @pinkpuffyheart2 what if you have another LO? Children usually don't stay in the hospital overnight.
    She will be with my husband, in her bed at home.
    That works! I stayed with family frequently growing up and started going to overnight summer camp in elementary school so it interesting to hear another point of view.
    Maybe my views will change as we both grow. I'm sure a lot will have to do with her maturity level and how ready and eager she is. I think summer camp would be a good experience for her too, so we'll see. I never did camp as a kid, so i don't really know what it's like. But i want her to do whatever she is interested in. I don't want to hold her back.

My parents never left us with sitters after they had left my 2 older sisters with one (they were both young, toddlerish age) and came home to the house smelling like weed. :D Whoops.

Personally, I was sexually abused by a family member throughout my childhood, so i am HYPER sensitive and overprotective of my daughter. My abuse happened when my parents were on the property but not directly with me.

image image

• Loading the player...
  • This is all crazy as hell. Comfort zone...
  • BLT20051BLT20051 member
    edited December 2013
    Lol. I left for a week when he was like 7 or 8 weeks. Yay military.

Oh wait, then he went to the ILs for two weeks while I went OOT for work and DH was somewhere else. And then he went to the ILs again when DH and I had the same drill weekend and I was OOT for another two weeks.

CJ 05/29/2013

• This is all crazy as hell. Comfort zone...
    Why so?

image image

• We haven't but MJ is a crappy sleeper and nurses twice a night. He usually will only calm down for me. The thoughts of him scared and crying and wanting Mommy break my heart. When he STTN I will def leave him with my parents.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Not yet, but DH and I have stayed out late for a couple of events while my parents babysat. I wouldn't be opposed to it at all if she wasn't BF and didn't need me to go to sleep and for night wake ups. I'm looking forward to the days when she is less dependent solely on me for sleep. I'm sure it will be hard the first time as a FTM, but I hope it happens before she's a year old. A little break now and then would be so nice.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary       

• We have a wedding when LO will be 14 1/2 months which will require me to be away from him for a weekend.  I originally thought it would be no big deal but I do think it will be harder now.  

I almost want to do a 1 night trial when he is STTN or not feeding at night. 

But I have to say @numbersgirl08 made an interesting point! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 

• Probably bc I have an 11 yr old and I just couldn't imagine not letting her go away for a night. I consider my friends my family so that is one reason. I also believe it makes a strong and independent child. I've had kids come over to my house that scream and cry bc they are away from home. That is strange at 6 and 7 years old. So in my opinion it is crazy as hell not letting your child out if your care. It is a benefit to not only you but the child as well. I still PPH you though!
    I still PPH you too. Thanks for the clarification. :)

image image

• Yeah I really think the STTN is the main factor for most of us. I would never ever ask my mom to wake up with him multiple times a night. She would gladly do it but I would feel so guilty!!! Making my mom wreck a night's sleep so I could go out. It feels selfish (again only because he wakes up multiple times a night)
  • Western DivaWestern Diva member
    edited December 2013

I would totally leave my LO over night already even though he isn't STTN yet, I run into the snag of he is EBF and refuses bottles 100% so until he stops needing to be fed in the MOTN I won't leave him overnight.

+1. I didn't leave DS1 overnight until he was 20 months and I was in the hospital having DS2. Likely won't leave DS2 until he's 17 months and DH and I are in Mexico celebrating our 5th anniversary!

• My husband works 24 hours shifts so he spends every 3rd day away from us. I guess technically we've left John more than once since I work 1p-1a. When we both work, my MIL stays at our house with him, but I get home around 2am, so I don't really consider that staying the night with someone else. Christmas eve, John actually stayed the night at the in laws, since we were going to go there in the morning for breakfast anyways.
    BFP#1 6/4/12 EDD 2/10/13 M/C 6/12/12
    BFP#2 9/28/12 EDD 6/5/13 J.B. born 6/6/13

Anniversary

• I went to sleep away camp for seven summers starting when I was 9 years old. I'm sure my parents missed me a lot but it was really good for me to be away from them. It was a growing experience I would never have had if my parents were afraid to let me be away from them.

Right now I'm kinda nervous to let LO sleep away from me all night, but we get a babysitter every few weeks. This July we are planning on leaving her for a full week with the grandparents so we can go on vacation without her. I'll be nervous as hell at first but I know it will be fine!!
  • I also went to sleep away camp for 8 years from when I was 8 years old. It was one of the best experiences I have had. It got me used to being away from my parents for an extended period of time. Most people I grew up with went. It was kind of the norm.
  • We haven't left this LO overnight but only because we don't really do overnight stuff :)  We left our oldest overnight at about 3 weeks to go to my BIL's wedding and then again at 3 months to stay somewhere for our anniversary.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Not yet. Not because I can't be away from him overnight but because I don't want to impose screaming, teething, tantrum throwing middle of the night sessions on anyone. Also no one has offered ( no family members nearby).
    September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • @subliminalrabbit I'll take E! He's so darn precious! ;-)
  • @PinkPuffyHeart2 it is beyond horrible that happened to you. That would make me hypersensitive too.

I'm planning to go to a two day conference in Austin in February. B will be with DH, not babysitting but I wont be there. I am going to make reservations at a nice restaurant, eat a meal in solitude and drink lots of wine. Not to mention sleep in a big bed by myself. DH and I want to go to New Orleans in the spring and my mom volunteered to stay with B, she knows what she's getting into and is excited to have him all to herself.

• JessicaKS said:

@pinkpuffyheart2 I am so sorry for what you went through when you were growing up. That's terrible. I didn't understand your point of view on not letting your daughter go anywhere overnight without you at first. Your overprotective nature makes total sense given your own experiences. :(

+1

Hugs
  • Monkeybutt80Monkeybutt80 member
    edited December 2013
    Delayed bump burp. Weird.
    September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • Thanks ladies. I don't want to take away experiences from her so I am going to do my best to "let go" so to speak, but it's super hard mentally to do that, even with my own family... Because if it happened to me (and my aunt, sisters, and probably my bro too but that's not confirmed) then it could happen to her too and I obviously don't want that to happen! It's so hard knowing who to trust. So yeah I'm ultra clingy... :/ my mom was ultra clingy just because she is like that, and we all turned out ok... I think... Lol

image image

• As I am reading this while nursing for the third time tonight, I don't see it happening any time soon. We have left him in the evening a couple times and he basically stays up as late as he possibly can and then fusses himself into exhaustion. Not ideal. Once he is sttn or taking a bottle better, I would definitely leave him with either set of his grandparents.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We haven't yet and I have no idea when we would. Growing up, I was only ever left overnight when my younger siblings were born- I don't think we will wait that long, but I would only trust to leave him with my mom, and it probably hasn't occurred to her at all :)
    image image
    Bennett Andrew- 6/4/13      Nora Elizabeth - 10/3/14
  • I haven't because I have no where to go overnight. But if I did, I wouldn't have a problem leaving him with my family. They see him all the time, would love it, and he sttn. However, I would have a problem leaving him with certain members of DH's family.

• amanda0126amanda0126 member
    edited December 2013
    I've left her with H a night when I went to a wedding several weeks ago.
    We have a weekend trip planned in 2 weeks in which E will stay at my parents house. We are so excited about a weekend getaway with friends! Although I will miss her terribly, I think some away time is also great! I am 100% confident in my parents ability to take care of LO. She's STTN and I'm excited for them to get to spend a weekend with her! I'm clearly in the minority here, but I see both sides.

We have no other overnight trips planne after this one until May.
  • I've left M plenty of times with both my parents and ILs (although she does better at ILs). I need R to start sleeping better before I pass that responsibility off to someone else. He can wake as many as 5 times a night. We're working on his sleep, starting today actually. I'm hoping within the next few months we're able to leave them both bc I really need a date night with DH!

Lilypie - (tyeV)

Lilypie - (AarQ)

• I voted SS because when she was 5 weeks old I was hospitalized and had surgery for a postpartum complication. But haven't spent a night away from her since.
  • Nope. And I have no intention to in the near future either. She has stayed a few hours with my dad when we went to a wedding reception in the same hotel. And she spends her days at DCP. And I hate that time apart. Clingy-mom party of me!
    imageimage
    Our lil' diva: late like her Momma: 40 weeks 5 days!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"