Breastfeeding
Options

Giving up

I'm really trying not to give up. My LO is now 6 weeks old. My problem lately seems to be dizziness, dry mouth and thirsty. I know I'm not getting enough fluids as I have tried but can't seem to keep up. LO is growing well and all, but there are days I don't feel well and I'm ready to give up. I've read where once some women stopped nursing, their symptoms left. I'm so trying to hold on but I just don't know.

Re: Giving up

• Options
    VitaLunaVitaLuna member
    edited December 2013
    If you know you're dehydrated, you need to just keep pushing fluids. Yes, it's hard to keep up, but you just have to take responsibility for it, KWIM? I keep multiple cups of water where I nurse on the couch and the nursery and try to drink 2 per session, you might give that a shot. I really hate drinking water, but it's just one if those things you (collective you) have to make a priority.

If you keep yourself fully hydrated and you're still not feeling like BFing, then it might be a good time to consider your options.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    FWIW, since I started BFing, I get really dizzy when I'm not hydrated or haven't eaten enough.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    So how much do you think you're drinking a day? Do you drink other fluids?
    VitaLuna said:

If you know you're dehydrated, you need to just keep pushing fluids. Yes, it's hard to keep up, but you can't really complain if you know you're not taking responsibility for it, KWIM? I keep multiple cups of water where I nurse on the couch and the nursery and try to drink 2 per session, you might give that a shot. I really hate drinking water, but it's just one if those things you (collective you) have to make a priority.

If you keep yourself fully hydrated and you're still not feeling like BFing, then it might be a good time to consider your options.

• Options
    At times I don't feel as though my diet is sufficient. When I was pregnant, my diet was great, and I drunk enough water for maybe two other people too. I haven't had any bloodwork since pregnancy..

Are you eating enough?  It sounds like you know you are not staying hydrated. I would start with drinking more water. Drink a large glass with every nursing session - and often throughout the day.  Get a 20 oz water bottle and aim to fill it at least 5 times in the course of a day (if not more).  I have not heard of dizziness associated with breastfeeding unless you are hypoglycemic.  Have you had bloodwork done lately?

• Options
    I had something similar where I'd get light headed, have a hard time breathing, low blood pressure and my doctor said I was dehydrated. So is down a couple of bottles of water and feel better. I bought a huge water bottle and aim to drink at least 120 oz a day. It's hard to drink a ton of water but it sure beats feeling bad.
  • Options
    Almost all my intake is water, but I would also drink Recharge (a better for you version if Gatorade) in the beginning. When my LO was the same age as yours, I was drinking about 20oz every 2hrs. If you're worried you're not eating enough, keep one handed snacks ready to go so you can grab something before sitting down to nurse. Things like trail mix, sliced cheese/meat, sliced fruit and veggies, granola bars, etc.

• Options
    I keep a water bottle by the couch so I can drink and nurse. When let down happens I am immediately thirsty. I also keep an eye on my pee - aiming for pale/clear.

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Options
    Carnation77Carnation77 member
    edited December 2013
    Before every nursing session I pee then drink an entire glass of water.  You definitely need to drink a lot while nursing.  If you think you're not eating enough find some really easy food to grab and stock up on that.  I ate horribly my first 2 months but it was either that or not eat (which happened sometimes).  I know it's hard to take care of yourself, but whether you're nursing or formula feeding you're still going to have to figure out a way to meet your own needs too.  I supplement 1-2 bottles a day with formula so I know a little bit about formula feeding.  It's honestly more time consuming than breastfeeding - you have to clean and sterilize everything, mix the formula, make sure it's at the right temp.  Takes a lot more time away from "taking care of me time" than just popping out a boob.
  • Options
    I had dizziness/lightheadedness at times until DD was about 3 months old.  I had to be crazy about my water intake - I would fill a bottle and basically try to "race" DD (try to finish the water before she finished nursing).  Just drink drink drink!
  • Options

Before every nursing session I pee then drink an entire glass of water.  You definitely need to drink a lot while nursing.  If you think you're not eating enough find some really easy food to grab and stock up on that.  I ate horribly my first 2 months but it was either that or not eat (which happened sometimes).  I know it's hard to take care of yourself, but whether you're nursing or formula feeding you're still going to have to figure out a way to meet your own needs too.  I supplement 1-2 bottles a day with formula so I know a little bit about formula feeding.  It's honestly more time consuming than breastfeeding - you have to clean and sterilize everything, mix the formula, make sure it's at the right temp.  Takes a lot more time away from "taking care of me time" than just popping out a boob.

I really find breastfeeding more than just "popping out a boob"
    Pregnancy discovered at 12 weeks 12/2007 - D&C at 13 Weeks due to partial Ectopic pregnancy/Body rejecting pregnancy. Last Pregnancy - EDD August 2013 TTC Our first miracle baby.
  • Options
    I'm not offended. I actually chuckled because I knew what you meant.

I in no way meant to insult anyone by using the phrase "popping out a boob." I just meant that once you get into the groove of it, BFing - to me at least - is more convenient and quicker than FFing. 

• Options

I in no way meant to insult anyone by using the phrase "popping out a boob." I just meant that once you get into the groove of it, BFing - to me at least - is more convenient and quicker than FFing. 

Oh okay I was like wait a minute. Lol with going back to work and freezing. Pumping. Breastfeeding... Formula is much easier lol.
    Pregnancy discovered at 12 weeks 12/2007 - D&C at 13 Weeks due to partial Ectopic pregnancy/Body rejecting pregnancy. Last Pregnancy - EDD August 2013 TTC Our first miracle baby.
  • Options
    What's more important to you, taking care of yourself and breastfeeding or not taking care of yourself and formula feeding? I hate drinking water but my dedication to breastfeeding outweighs my hatred for water.
  • Options
    cwhitloccwhitloc member
    edited December 2013
    In addition, you can stay hydrated by drinking clear liquids (soups, juices) and fruits with high water content. Water isn't the only option.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"