January 2013 Moms

Not very interested in solids--anyone else?

MyaflowersMyaflowers member
edited December 2013 in January 2013 Moms
LO will be 1 on Jan 20 and still seems more interested in BM from the bottle (when I'm at work) and nursing than she is in solids. The only solids she eats consistently are pureed sweet potatoes and puffs. She does self feed the puffs but any other finger foods I give her, she mostly plays with and throws in the floor for the dog. She's not a fan of many purees, mostly sweet potatoes, squash, and carrots. She will occasionally eat small bites of cheese, bread, or potato from my plate, but this is rare. At this point, I'm wondering if this is normal. i plan to keep pumping for now and discuss with the pedi at our 1 year appointment. Anyone else have a LO that is more interested in nursing than solids/finger foods?

ETA: LO is in the 95th percentile for height/ weight, so I'm not worried that she's not getting enough.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

Re: Not very interested in solids--anyone else?

• Here! Omg, I was just worrying about this AGAIN today. She'll have like, one day a month where she eats 5oz (a TON for her) throughout the day, but the rest of the time I'm lucky if she eats a few tablespoons, most days nothing. She CAN pick food up, put it in her mouth, bite, chew, swallow--everything works great, she just doesn't care. At. All.

She's happy, healthy, and meeting milestones but I'm definitely bringing it up next month at our appt. I have a friend whose baby is like this too and she isn't worried (he's 15mos) but I am. :-(
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm sorry you're going through the same thing but SO relieved to hear we're not alone!
  • Loading the player...
  • DD seems to go through phases, but her main diet is formula. She loves cheese and bread though. She is not interested in being spoon fed anymore unless it is pears or yogurt. I mainly just give her bites of whatever I am eating. 

Currently, I have had success with the following:

Steamed veggies with cheese
    Pasta in alfredo sauce with chicken
    Bananas diced and shaken in cheerio dust
    Blueberry pancakes

Just keep offering different things and try not to stress. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• @Myaflowers it sucks. Sorry you're struggling, too! Between this and her eczema I'm sick of people asking me about shit I'm worried about. "Doesn't she eat more solids yet? I bet if she are more, she'd STTN" or "Is that eczema? My dad's cousin's wife's step-son had eczema once..." Shoot me.
  • Mine goes through phases where she'll eat well at every solid "meal" and then she'll have days where the only solids she'll eat are a few puffs. She is also 95 percentile weight so I haven't been concerned but I do plan to bring it up to her pedi at our next appointment.
    Baby Evelyn - born 1.16.2013 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD varies day to day, some days she eats solids like crazy other days throws everything in the floor. Everything I've read says not to worry too much, and to be consistent about putting a variety of good food in front of them (instead of giving them only what they love in a desperate attempt to get them to eat). I thought this article was pretty good: https://itsnotaboutnutrition.squarespace.com/home/2012/1/3/kid-eats-qa-my-1-year-old-will-eat-anything-i-put-in-front-o.html
  • Mine is off and on with solids too, but she can be off and on with her bottle too. She almost never wants purees anymore so she just gets what we are eating. I haven't been too worried about it because she is still growing well and in the 90th percentile. But it'd be nice if she started eating more.

Q :  06.25.10
    W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

• You are not alone! We are consistent about having breakfast, lunch and dinner, but she only eats a tiny bit at each meal. It's taken me two months to get her to eat half a banana and a baby yogurt in the morning, but she does it. Lunch and dinner are hit or miss. They are still getting what they need from the bottle or breast, so don't worry! The key for us has been consistency. They'll get there:)
    Our little Samosa arrives in January!
  • DD2 is really not into it at all. Some days we can get her to take a few tbsp of purées, and she might let us put a few chunks of other food in her mouth, but that's generally it on a good day. She won't feed herself if we put any food on her tray -- even if it's her 'favorites,' like cheese. Only if we put it directly in her mouth. And, if we get more than 4 or 5 cheese shreds in before she's done, that's a big day. I figure she'll get it eventually, so I'm not overly worried -- but I'd certainly love to think about weaning from the pump one day, and with her still taking in like 25+ oz of BM, that is certainly not in the immediate future for me!
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Thanks to everyone for your responses! We're going to keep working at it, but it's good to know we're in good company!
  • You are not alone. DS used to love solids and table food, but all of a sudden a month ago he lost all interest. The only thing other then puffs, purees, and yogurt melts that i can get him to eat with any consistency is apple pancakes with cinnamon, and chicken, he will always eat chicken. But he used to LOVE scrambled eggs, pasta, steamed veggies, bread, fruit.. Etc. Now he will hardly touch them. It's making me crazy, and i will be bringing it up with the pedi also. He does take purees though. I have been giving him mixed purees with fruit, vegetables, and grain in them, he eats about 12 to 16 ounces of those a day. He is also teething hard, so i don't know if that has anything to do with it. 

7/5/11 MC at 8 weeks. 5/17/12 BFP, twins EDD 1/20/13! 6/20/12 Baby B's heart has stopped beating. 8/31/12 Baby A is a boy! And is perfectly healthy and thriving. 1/19/2013 emergency c-section, Thoren is perfect. 3/1/2013 told i will never be able to conceive again. 12/16/13 told they were wrong! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"