3rd Trimester
Options

Spelling LO's name wrong...

I may be over reacting....but it irritates me so much when people misspell my child's name. Even after I have told them. Is it rude of me to keep correcting them? I feel bitchy. It especially irritates me when MIL does it. She wanted to spell LO's name a certain way and I wanted it different, Addison (me) & Addisen (her). She always uses her version or calls her Addy when I spell it Addi. 

ARGH! 

Re: Spelling LO's name wrong...

• Options
    People always spell my nickname wrong... It's Jesse. But most spell it Jessie. As an adult it's nothing I get upset over, but when I was younger I would be. If it's something that you're passionate about tell her and hopefully she'll back off about it.
    imageimage

• Options
    I may be over reacting....but it irritates me so much when people misspell my child's name. Even after I have told them. Is it rude of me to keep correcting them? I feel bitchy. It especially irritates me when MIL does it. She wanted to spell LO's name a certain way and I wanted it different, Addison (me) & Addisen (her). She always uses her version or calls her Addy when I spell it Addi. 

ARGH! 
    Huh? Which way are you spelling it? I'm confused.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Addison
  • Options
    I with the others....if they spell her full legal name wrong, then correct it . "Mom,it's Addison with ON not EN." If it's just preference for a nickname (Addy vs.Addi) the I would leave it. You keep spelling it the way you want and maybe she'll come around (or maybe she won't) Fwiw,I have aunts who have spelled my name wrong for my entire life. You would think that with Facebook and everything they would know it's spelled with "IE" not "EE"....guess not though.
    imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I always hated when my close family/friends spelt my nickname wrong but I hardly ever get called by my (FN Abigail) or introduce myself as that I spell my name Abbie, & I do correct people if they want to know how to spell it correctly or if they know me well personally & they forget or spell it on purpose I just remind them
  • Options
    That would piss me off too! Just tell her it bothers you. She's the one who's spelling it wrong.
  • Options
    We chose an unconventional spelling for our daughter. Some people spell it correctly, some don't. I don't worry a ton about it. I may feel differently with this LO, tho, as it is a totally different situation.

dx PCOS 2007

BFP #1 (natural) 12/23/2010. Stillbirth due to IC 4/2/2011

TTC #2 starting 03/2012

RE starting 07/2012

05/2013 BFP on a Letrozole (Femara)/trigger!

Cerclage, Procardia, Makena, GD (with insulin), MBR, and we made it!  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Our Angel was born sleeping at 20 weeks due to IC.

• Options
    My in-laws spell my FN wrong. My name is a "Chris" name. DD is Katrina. My in-laws are Slavic and all are spelled Kris.... especially since Katrina is a K. So my cards, emails, letters, checks are all Kris.
    Eh, whatever.
    My in-laws are Slovak and called my daughter "Emily" for the first few weeks of her life, which of course drove me nuts. I did not hesitate to correct them to say "Emilia" and let them know that they are two totally different names. They eventually got it, but boy was it frustrating!

I wonder if it is a Slavic thing?
    And then there were three...

• Options
    My babysitter insists that my son's name is spelled LEAM when it is of course LIAM. It made me mad at first and I corrected her but she just kept doing it and I didn't feel like fighting about it. My name is Nicole and so many people want to spell it Nichole so I just politely correct them and my nickname is Nikki which I am really adamant about that being spelled right even though it is a nickname because that is what I go by on a daily basis. I very rarely go by Nicole. Our daughter due in March is Sofia and of course people want to spell it Sophia so I do correct them on that because I want her to have the unique spelling. I would just tell you MIL how you are spelling it and that is that.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My daughter is Addison, we call her Addie and it drived me nuts when my MIL spells it her way Addy. It's not her name! I would bring it up casually the next time she does it, say to her "Oh, we decided to spell her name...." and leave it at that. She'll have to be very ignorant to keep doing it when you've pointed it out. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'm with you. My daughter's name will be Nora - but people keep spelling it Norah.
    When I was a kid, people spelled my name Mandy and it bugged the crap out of me.

I don't think it's rude to correct people. Teach them the right way to spell your child's name NOW rather than when they start getting her name embroidered on stuff!

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"